Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Lux Lux started this thread

6 posts, read 10,159 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Can someone tell me where I can find African American communities in Maine? I’m taking a trip to Maine in Nov and would like to know the main spots before going. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I lived in NYC all my life, Queens to be exact. I love NYC but I gotta go. I’m looking for a place where the standard of living is low and where u don’t have to stand on line for EVERY little thing. Lol Must have high speed internet and good response for my cell phone. I have an online business so that is important. Here’s the biggie...ready…must be on a bus line.. Is that possible? I have a car but I am use to being near buses and trains and may not be able to adapt if I don’t hear a bus sound may never use it (as I don’t here) just need to know it is out there in case I do. Are there any taxis service in Maine? If so, is it costly? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I heard Maine is a wonderful and peaceful place to live… That’s what I’m looking for a place where I can live peaceful away from rocket prices and low on crime. I’m not looking to change anything about Maine, just myself. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Can someone help me out here? [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 AM

145 posts, read 338,606 times
I hear you on the public transportation thing..it took me a looong time to get used to the limited buses in Long Island after moving there from Brooklyn. Once I got here to Georgia...my daughter and I took a very long walk to a store and the police stopped us and asked us if we needed help(of course I WAS carrying her and some groceries by that time). I laughed and told him "No thanks.,,.I am just from NY and we walk EVERYWHERE!) I can't answer the Maine question..just wanted to let you know how I "get" your inquiry! Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Lewiston and Waterville have a larger ratio of African Americans than many places I know of in Maine. Lewiston has a community of Somali refugees which kind of skews the ratio as they are a completely differant culture. College towns have a better ratio. Colby college has a decent community of young people. In my experience, Almost anywhere you go in Maine, you will be welcome. You will meet other African Americans. We lived near Bangor for many years and loved it. We are now in a little town a bit further north and there are a couple of mixed families on our street. We didn't know this until after we got here. We are a mixed up couple my husband is also a bit older than I am. We've always been treated well and fairly. Bangor does have a bus line, but I think once you've driven around a bit, you will love it. Traffic here is NOTHING compared to a city, and things are pretty well marked.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I just have one critical question: are you a Yankees fan?? We are currently not accepting Yankees fans, but if you were to be a Mets fan, or ANY other ball club that would be fine.

LOL
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

I think Bangor or Portland would both be nice areas for you, and both areas have public transportation. How far north would you like to go? Do you think Bangor would be too far?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 AM

I heard you on Long Island too.. High school kids take school buses to school because of the limited transportation....still the trans in Long Island is better than most places especially if you lived near the Queens border line. The deeper u go in LI the more u move away from transportation.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM

[SIZE=3]Msina, How far is Bongor from Portland? Driving isn’t a problem from me, I drive everywhere in NYC.. From me it’s knowing I can get around in case my car is in the shop for repairs.. Gotta plan ahead of time. [/SIZE]

“I just have one critical question: are you a Yankees fan?? We are currently not accepting Yankees fans, but if you were to be a Mets fan, or ANY other ball club that would be fine.”

Lol yep… *runnin' behind tree*

I’m not sure how far is Bongor? As long there is a bus line I can hang…

Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Bangor is a coupla hundrd miles north of Portland. It's a whole differant world from Portland. Portland is southern Maine, more like "Northern Massachusetts". Protland is a bigger city and most likely what you are looking for.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Maine.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bangor-Maine.html
Try these links for more info on the differances of the Two places.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 AM

well, my uncle moved back to my hometown after living in NYC for 28 years....he wears his Yankees hat and jacket in Wal-Mart and no one has hurt him yet....so you're probably safe (I've even hugged him while he has it on, but shhhh...don't tell anyone!)

Bangor is about 2 hours north of Portland, centrally located in the state. Portland is about an hour (a little less?) from the Maine-New Hampshire border. There is some great information on this forum, and reading through some of the threads, along with looking things up online, will really give you a sense of the areas. Then when you come up in November you can spend some time visiting your "target" areas.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM

oh you're so good msina!!

(I'd rep you but have to spread some around....again!)

Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM

161 posts, read 418,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I just have one critical question: are you a Yankees fan?? We are currently not accepting Yankees fans, but if you were to be a Mets fan, or ANY other ball club that would be fine.
That is an excellent policy. We have instituted it in our offices hiring practices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine