Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM

26 posts, read 38,086 times

Advertisements

Do there tend to be more seniors in one place or another in Maine. May sound silly but where I come from there tend to be clusters of seniors more in one place than another. In Az., there is Sun City for example.
I plan to relocate to Maine and don't want to be the only old folk there, lol. Would like to live close to the water. Medical facilities nearby are important also (just in case). Suggestions on a nice town to live in that meets the criteria. I have been to Maine several times and have waited years to live there. My time is close. This year actually. Can hardly wait.

Last edited by Maineevent1947; 07-15-2012 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Check out the Brunswick area. Good local hospital connected with the major tertiary care medical center in nearby Portland, several retirement communities in and near town, near the water, a senior-friendly college (Bowdoin), an active retiree community. With the housing associated with the former Brunswick Naval Air Station going on the market, prices should be reasonable as well.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Seniors are not in clusters IMO unless they are in senior housing or a retirement community. They pick and choose their locations based on personal preference....buy houses...rent... You might want to search the previous threads if you haven't done so already. There have been quite a few discussions about a large number of seniors/retirees in Maine. Some stay year round; some of them summer in Maine and winter in FL.

There is a network of senior colleges that attract some seniors. Here's some info--(scroll down the page for a state wide list). http://learn.maine.edu/ellsworth/cou...ollege/Several Towns/cities have senior centers (discussed in detail in previous threads). The senior centers vary in size and services/activities based on the population of their area.

hospitals in Maine Maine Hospitals and Medical Centers • ME

If you prefer a "retirement community," A Guide to Maine Retirement Communities

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-16-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineevent1947 View Post
Do there tend to be more seniors in one place or another in Maine. May sound silly but where I come from there tend to be clusters of seniors more in one place than another. In Az., there is Sun City for example.
I plan to relocate to Maine and don't want to be the only old folk there, lol. Would like to live close to the water. Medical facilities nearby are important also (just in case). Suggestions on a nice town to live in that meets the criteria. I have been to Maine several times and have waited years to live there. My time is close. This year actually. Can hardly wait.
You won't be the only retiree transplant there, trust me....I'm right behind you.

PS: I did start a "Best Towns to Grow Old in Maine" thread - good answers on here:
BEST Maine town to grow old in

Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Check out the Brunswick area. Good local hospital connected with the major tertiary care medical center in nearby Portland, several retirement communities in and near town, near the water, a senior-friendly college (Bowdoin), an active retiree community. With the housing associated with the former Brunswick Naval Air Station going on the market, prices should be reasonable as well.
My daughter lives in Brunswick. I love it.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Thank you all for the helpful information. I am new to this forum and have not found the other articles mentioned. I am not looking for a retirement community, just a place where I am not alone. lol. Thx again. Will use the info.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineevent1947
... Would like to live close to the water. Medical facilities nearby are important also (just in case). ...
Maine has lots of water frontage. Both fresh water and ocean water.

Since retiring and moving to Maine myself, we have found that Maine has excellent medical facilities. I had a surgery 4 weeks ago, and now it looks like I may be in need of another real soon. While I do not like having the need for all of this medical treatment, I have no complaints about the level of care provided here.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine has lots of water frontage. Both fresh water and ocean water.

Since retiring and moving to Maine myself, we have found that Maine has excellent medical facilities. I had a surgery 4 weeks ago, and now it looks like I may be in need of another real soon. While I do not like having the need for all of this medical treatment, I have no complaints about the level of care provided here.
Good to know about the medical facilities. Sorry to hear about all your surgeries. Hope all goes well for you. What city in Maine do you live in? Is Brunswick close to the ocean?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 AM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineevent1947 View Post
Good to know about the medical facilities. Sorry to hear about all your surgeries. Hope all goes well for you. What city in Maine do you live in?
I am just North of Bangor. I am not in a 'city' rather out kind of rural.

Quote:
... Is Brunswick close to the ocean?
Yes.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine