U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What does New Brunswick look like? Mountains or hills or flat? Many miles between towns? Would you call it "scenic"? As interesting terrain-wise as Nova Scotia? Any unusual attractions? Do Mainers frequent NB?

You were told right about the drinking age, MBM. I can at least attest to that. LOL

Folks in northern Maine go over across all the time. My family's favorite attractions are Grand Falls (especially in spring/early summer when the water is high), Escuminac Beach area, and the NB Botanical Gardens/Antique Car Museum in Edmundston. We really like Fredericton a lot too.
It's a beautiful province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 04:22 AM

20,571 posts, read 25,628,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
back in the day, drinking age was 18 and you could also get into strip clubs...in canada (so, I was told)
The drinking age in New Brunswick is 19. In Quebec it is 18.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kent View Post
That's what I would have said myself had I not been made aware of the existence of EDL's 2 years ago when a friend from Quebec showed me her drivers license, which has a chip on it and states plain and simple that it can be legally used in lieu of a passport at US border crossings. Figuring it was highly unlikely that Quebec would be the only administration to offer this I looked it up and sure enough, it is widely available in other states. Apart from reasons of convenience there is an even more obvious reason for the introduction of these documents: cost. The percentage of US and Canadian citizens who travel overseas is quite small compared with the millions who cross the US/Canada border. If said millions were to suddenly apply for passports for the sole purpose of traveling to and fro Canada and vice versa the government agencies who issue passports would have been overwhelmed with the massive demand. That's why an alternative was relatively quickly devised, an alternative that has the added benefit, from the Federal point of view at least, of placing most of the financial burden on the shoulders of the states. But that burden is small compared to what it would have been if we had stuck to passports only.
Gotcha. You are right to point this out.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
What does New Brunswick look like? Mountains or hills or flat? Many miles between towns? Would you call it "scenic"? As interesting terrain-wise as Nova Scotia? Any unusual attractions? Do Mainers frequent NB?
The scenery is variable. Some parts are hilly and even slightly mountainous - the NW is like. Much of it consists of river valleys or coastal areas.

Attractions include:

Hopewell Rocks near Saint John
Reversing Falls near Saint John
Parlee Beach near Shediac (warmest water north of the Carolinas supposedly)
Magnetic Hill near Moncton
Acadian Historic Village near Caraquet
King's Landing historic village between Fredericton and Saint John

Most people do not consider NB to be as interesting as NS or PEI but there are things to see there for sure.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:31 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
I have not been to King's Landing yet (my wife has) but it is high on my list of must-dos!
The covered bridge in Hartland is really cool.......longest in the world.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 17,748 times
Quote:
Just to add to what others have already posted, based on geographical features alone our eastern neighbor New Brunswick could easily pass for a corner of New England. It is about as scenic as Maine and really not that much different except for the eastern coastal areas which are sheltered from the open ocean and thus warmer in summer than our own coastline (it can get really hot), the water is also quite warmer, usually well above 70 degrees, really nice for swimming.

One interesting spot to visit is Campobello Island, the former beloved summer home of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Easily accessible from Maine, there's a bridge to the island from Lubec. You will have to go through Canadian Customs to access the island, which is part of New Brunswick despite being just a rock's throw from Maine and quite a distance from NB. The err... cottage is now jointly administered as a park by the US and Canadian governments, and open to the public. I enjoyed the visit.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
back in the day, drinking age was 18 and you could also get into strip clubs...in canada (so, I was told)
You were told right, except that the strip clubs are mostly in Quebec not in NB, anywhere along the border. Lots of kids from Maine hang out there, myself included back in the day. Bouncers could care less about ID, even at 16 it was easy to get in. Made us feel like grown men lol but that was 30 years ago, I don't know if it's still like that.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gotcha. You are right to point this out.
I think Maine will eventually offer the EDL once every other state from NH to WA has it. Right now I know of Vermont, New York, Michigan, and Washington state that offer it in the US. Those just happen to be the states with the highest crossborder traffic with Canada. Pressure on Maine and NH to implement EDL may come from Quebec which shares land borders with no less than four US states (I had never really noticed how "wide" Quebec is before) and would likely want visitors from ME and NH to be able to cross as easily as those from VT and NY. Lets hope so at least.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I think Maine will eventually offer the EDL once every other state from NH to WA has it. Right now I know of Vermont, New York, Michigan, and Washington state that offer it in the US. Those just happen to be the states with the highest crossborder traffic with Canada. Pressure on Maine and NH to implement EDL may come from Quebec which shares land borders with no less than four US states (I had never really noticed how "wide" Quebec is before) and would likely want visitors from ME and NH to be able to cross as easily as those from VT and NY. Lets hope so at least.
Are many Americans getting EDLs to cross the border? Here in Canada they are available but I do not know anyone who has gotten one. Most people who didn't already have a passport went to get one once the requirement to enter the U.S. went into force.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
You were told right, except that the strip clubs are mostly in Quebec not in NB, anywhere along the border. Lots of kids from Maine hang out there, myself included back in the day. Bouncers could care less about ID, even at 16 it was easy to get in. Made us feel like grown men lol but that was 30 years ago, I don't know if it's still like that.
This is especially true if you can speak French, which I assume you guys could. Then you can more or less pass for a local. It is harder to get in when underage in Quebec if you don't speak French and therefore the bouncers assume you are from Ontario or the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or