U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 12,453 times
Default Piscean Path dock house, anyone?

My husband and I are getting ready to put our deposit on this for a week's vacation (being on a working dock, even for a week, is a mutual dream). We're intending to throughly scout Bangor, Belfast, and a few other communities while we're there so can really firm up where we want to relocate next year.

Has anyone ever stayed here or seen it? The price for a week is amazing and it's apparently within walking distance of everything in town.

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback about it. TIA!

Piscean Path Maine Coast Vacation Rental

Last edited by MsMorelion; 07-15-2012 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Wrong link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM

6,140 posts, read 7,825,217 times
Looks very nice. Stonington is a busy harbor and close to Acadia Park.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,101,513 times
Sorry but I find it ironic. All I can see is an expense to sleep in a poor fisherman's shack (although from the pictures that is a stretch) and eating lobster (used to tell how poor people were from the amount of lobster shells in back of the barn) and working on the wharves. I don't mean to be rude but it strikes me funny. They do these vacations all over the country.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM

2,451 posts, read 2,947,664 times
It will be noisy in the morning. Those lobster boats don't have very good mufflers. Any where from about 4am on. A couple of great restaurants in town though. harbor Cafe and I forget the name of the other one. Might be Fishermans friend.

Last edited by AustinB; 07-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: added

Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM

People pay to work on farms, especially during haying season. Sometimes we just don't realize the value of what we have and do every day. I had a group on the Allagash years ago and one lady kept off to herself. I walked down to the rock she was sitting on at sunset. Tears were rolling down her cheeks. I worried that she was not enjoying her trip.

I stoof there silently for a couple of minutes and then asked, "What's wrong?"

She looked at me and said, "It's so beautiful." I figured it was an average sunset, but she was blown away by the whole experience; the quiet, sunset, loons, fish jumping, a deer across the river and the day as a whole. I told her the next day would be even better.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Sorry but I find it ironic. All I can see is an expense to sleep in a poor fisherman's shack (although from the pictures that is a stretch) and eating lobster (used to tell how poor people were from the amount of lobster shells in back of the barn) and working on the wharves. I don't mean to be rude but it strikes me funny. They do these vacations all over the country.
Thanks to everyone for their input :-)

Retiredtinbender, there's no working on the dock (well, not from us anyway). Just a chance to observe first-hand and appreciate the work that the lobsterman do so we can enjoy a real culinary treat. Had I been born a man, I can pretty much guarantee I would have chosen being a lobsterman or fisherman. I'm just drawn to the harbors, the boats, the great expanse of ocean, and pretty much everything in general about lobstering/fishing. So, we're not paying to actually work (in fact, as drawn as I am to the ocean and all things about it, I can't swim a stroke...all I would be good for would be schlepping coffee, lol!), just to experience as about as close as we can first-hand to something that's an amazing skill to us. Some people would go for a spa vacation or a Disney vacation but us? We want to experience something "real" in an ever-shifting, ever-more-superficial world. They can keep the spas...the sound of those lobsterman up and working at 4 a.m. will be music to our ears (and we'll be out on the dock, safely out of the way, watching it every morning and again when they return in the afternoon, lol!).

Thanks so much everyone!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,676,990 times
My father grew up on that wharf (and I guess I did, too, in my early years)- the property used to belong to my grandparents, and that shack was one that they rented out to people who couldn't afford much more than a shack to live in (though it sure didn't look as nice then, nor did it have the fancy name..lol). I actually live close enough to it now that you might just be able to smell my coffee brewing in the morning, if the wind is blowing the right way. It is a VERY tiny little abode, but if you don't need a lot of space, it may just be perfect. The boats will go out very early in the morning (4am) and there is one boat that has been PARTICULARLY loud lately (he leaves between 4:15 and 4:30 and I do so wish he would get his exhaust fixed!), but watching the sunrise over the harbor is worth waking up at that time to see. The neighborhood is quiet, save for the sound of Mark Island Light every 15 seconds, and yes- it is a very easy walk to everything in Stonington Village- the post office, the Opera House (movies and live shows), shops, galleries, restaurants, a small convenience store and the Granite Museum (a MUST see). The Stonington Farmer's Market on Friday mornings is a short walk up the hill and is full of locally grown and locally made goods.

Feel free to message me if you would like to ask any questions about the area, nearby amenities, or anything else. And if you want to buy lobster to eat during your stay, I can put you in touch with my dad, who has been a lobsterman for 65 years and lives just a few houses up the hill. He started lobstering from that particular dock when he was not yet old enough to go out in a boat alone. He had to pay his older sister to go out in the boat with him.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Thanks so much, Deerislesmile!

I have indeed sent you a DM...Many thanks for the great post!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Americans yearn to reconnect with our heritage. People pay to dress in wool uniforms and reenact battles at Gettysburg in stifling heat. They pay to do the same for the Revolutionary War era. They pay to attend events with Project Appleseed where I am an instructor. It taught next to Valley Forge last weekend. I'll be in NH in two weeks followed the next weekend at Columbia Falls, Maine. People often say, "Why didn't we learn this in school?" It's a good question. I'm on our local school board and I'm working on it.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,101,513 times
I didn't want to sound as if I thought the idea was numb. There are vacation spots like this all over; from mideval castles to working farms to bait shacks. Just thought it ironic. My SIL was going to set up a family get-together on a working farm in NH for the in-laws 50th. Yeah, odd, I know. Never did pann out and I've felt like I missed out ever since. I wouldn't mind watching the Gettysburg group. I'll stay in the Comfort Inn in town though; thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine