U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM

346 posts, read 658,193 times

Advertisements

I'm being eaten alive, why so many skeeters this time of year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,779,935 times
Yeahhh, you are not kidding!

Theory: the little brown bat population is decimated by white nose disease + warm winter and puddles in June

Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
The skeeter population is actually lower this year (here, anyway) than in the last few, due to the [relatively] mild Winter...and the blackflies were almost non-existent.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
Big influx of the little darlin's down here. It's a battle just watering the gardens at night.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
It's normal. They're down during the heat of the day. I use a ThermaCell for late summer hunting because I'd be swatting at mosquitoes and give myself away.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,404,568 times
Quote:
Mild winter, lots (and LOTS) of rain in June, hot and muggy July, all perfect mosquito conditions. We don't usually see them so much here in town, unless the wind blows the salt marsh mosquitoes in from across the river. This year has been worse than usual because there's so much standing water from the rain. All it takes is an old tire laying behind the garage or a puddle under the porch.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,628,648 times
Quote:
This has been a super weird year for bugs, right?? We are in CT and have an over abundance of BUGS down by our pool. I say "down by our pool" because it is located away from our house, down a set of cement steps and is surrounded by trees and landscaping that is BUG HEAVEN. Our skimmer in the pool is always full of Beetles, gnats and drowned skeeters. OH..and lets not forget those dang black ants who LOVE the water. Yup..I have tried to drown a black ant or two and they look up at me like they are laughing..well..at least it appears that way. We have all gotten bit, chewed and gnawed on by the bugs. Why are they here?? I think part of the reason is the lack of snow this past winter, the heat this summer and lack of rain and high humidity we are having along with the heat.
I did have one endearing experience that I attribute to the abundance of bugs. I was walking around our pool (inground) doing some cleaning up and out from under one of my shrubs come these two small doves..walking along next to me. I think they are so full of bugs they had been eating that they couldn't fly! Our neighbor put a birdhouse on our retaining wall on the other side of our privacy fence that is around the pool and I think the birds are living in it, eating some of the bugs. I would love it if they would invite some of their "friends" for dinner!! LOL

Last edited by Pammyd; 07-17-2012 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,521 times
Too me it seemed like the black fly season was better than normal, but the mosquito season is a little worse. I think the deer flies are much worse this year. They are everywhere it seems. But let's face it, if it weren't for the bugs and the winter, Maine would be like New Jersey (shudder).

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM

346 posts, read 658,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
if it weren't for the bugs and the winter, Maine would be like New Jersey (shudder).

Don't get me started on a Jersey rant.
I just got down here a few hours ago.
Road rage, HEAT, and City folks.

Just watched someone trying to park their car in a spot about 4 feet long, and another guy waiting to pull into his driveway because it's blocked.

The Mrs always asks why I'm so mad when I'm down here, .. all I can say is Jersey.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 707,792 times
Was talking to a couple of neighbors the other day and they were swatting away. I asked what the heck was wrong. They cursed the skeeters. I didn't have one near me. Been like that all year so far with the exception of night time when they are always around. I wonder if not showering all summer has helped me avoid the skeeters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine