U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 AM

131 posts, read 348,501 times

Advertisements

Slowly, I am finding little rashes of poison ivy on me. I am 99% sure I am getting it from one of our cats or maybe the dog. I really think one of the cats are the guilty ones here as they spend their days outside in our woods.

I havent really had poison ivy since I was a kid and it never really bothered me then. But this hot weather is taking a toll on me and the itchy poison ivy is driving me nuts. I know everyone has their own little treatments for poison ivy. What's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
I have family members who are susceptible to poison ivy. If it were me, I would skip the over the counter meds/creams, etc., contact a doctor or dermatologist and get a tube of medication that will actually help the situation. If you call your doctor, he/she might be willing to call in a prescription for you....save you the cost of an office visit.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 07-24-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM

9,497 posts, read 14,296,487 times
Calamine lotion will work for you

Roundup will work for the poison ivy.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,430,519 times
It may not be 'poison ivy'. There is another plant that I've been told is called 'peppervine', which I've noticed is rather prolific around here. It is much more potent than poison ivy/oak/sumac and even nails those who, like me, typically aren't affected by those. Sometimes it may take 2-3 days for the rash to appear and during that time, anything you may have touched or rubbed against will get traces of the oil on it. The oil is effective for as much as a year and any time you come into contact with it you will get the rash again. Soap does not break it down well but alcohol does.

To eradicate the plant itself may take several repeated sprayings of heavy duty brush-killer, especially if it is well established and has grown into a thick, woody vine.

I have some of it here. After it stops raining I'll see if I can get some photos of it and post them so you can see if it is what you have.

To mitigate the effects of the rash, as soon as you notice it, wash your skin with rubbing alcohol (and any surfaces you may have come into contact with), then apply calamine lotion. In addition, take an antihistamine such as Benadryl or Loratidine, etc, whatever you find works best for you. If the rash is *really* bad, you may want to use a cream with a topical anesthetic such as Lidocaine, Benzocaine or Xylocaine (again, whichever one you find works best for you).

Old 07-25-2012, 05:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
I use mint soap. It has to be mint essential oil, not fragrance oil. And it has to be soap, not a detergent. It breaks down the ivy oil and soothes the skin quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine