U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 AM
 
341 posts, read 539,351 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

People voted for him!

 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,405,270 times
Reputation: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
He is a major jerk, especially since 61 % of the electorate didn't vote for him.

The end begins in November, when the Dems retake the legislature.

Main reason I left the state.
62 percent of the electorate didn't vote for Baldacci in 2006, but I didn't see bumper stickers about that afterwards.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Maine at last
399 posts, read 719,580 times
Reputation: 687
I like this governor. It looks like Maine is becomming more business friendly, education is again being addressed and entitlements are going to be monitored more closely. I think Maine had too many years of democrats and Governor LePage is a welcome change. At least things are starting to change for the better.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
 
1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Principles aren't always a positive thing. Self-confidence isn't always a positive thing. Especially when it is arrogance. Arrogance is confidence in something that isn't true - confidence is in something that is.
Why does your comment not surprise me. I don't know where you got your definition of arrogance (or confidence or principles). Not only do I not agree with them, they appear to be incorrect. Having looked at a few online dictionaries, they don't agree with you either. Show up for a job interview without self-confidence and you'll still be unemployed. Self-assured and passionate are terms I would choose. LePage is a successful entrepreneur (something we need more of) who has overcome many obstacles in his own life. This has no doubt led to his self-confidence....and rightly so. At least he has principles, beliefs, business experience, and a backbone and is not a jellyfish. Like LePage, most Mainers I know value independence, have opinions, beliefs, and principles and don't change like a chameleon to try to get everyone to like them. and...as far as I know he's not a socialist. He has a history of working for a living and would like to see more people working for a living.

Paul LePage Biography - Election(s)Meter

Paul LePage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Maine at last
399 posts, read 719,580 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Why does your comment not surprise me. I don't know where you got your definition of arrogance (or confidence or principles). Not only do I not agree with them, they appear to be incorrect. Having looked at a few online dictionaries, they don't agree with you either. Show up for a job interview without self-confidence and you'll still be unemployed. Self-assured and passionate are terms I would choose. LePage is a successful entrepreneur (something we need more of) who has overcome many obstacles in his own life. This has no doubt led to his self-confidence....and rightly so. At least he has principles, beliefs, business experience, and a backbone and is not a jellyfish. Like LePage, most Mainers I know value independence, have opinions, beliefs, and principles and don't change like a chameleon to try to get everyone to like them. and...as far as I know he's not a socialist. He has a history of working for a living and would like to see more people working for a living.

Paul LePage Biography - Election(s)Meter

Paul LePage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awesome!! Isn't he one of 18 children as well?
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Reputation: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
People voted for him!
Not many of us!
 
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Lubec, ME
908 posts, read 869,373 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Why does your comment not surprise me. I don't know where you got your definition of arrogance (or confidence or principles). Not only do I not agree with them, they appear to be incorrect. Having looked at a few online dictionaries, they don't agree with you either. Show up for a job interview without self-confidence and you'll still be unemployed. Self-assured and passionate are terms I would choose. LePage is a successful entrepreneur (something we need more of) who has overcome many obstacles in his own life. This has no doubt led to his self-confidence....and rightly so. At least he has principles, beliefs, business experience, and a backbone and is not a jellyfish. Like LePage, most Mainers I know value independence, have opinions, beliefs, and principles and don't change like a chameleon to try to get everyone to like them. and...as far as I know he's not a socialist. He has a history of working for a living and would like to see more people working for a living.

Reminds me of those jokes about dating these days: "He has a job?!?! He hasn't been to jail?!! He has a car??! He's the perfect man!"


prin·ci·ple/ˈprinsəpəl/

Noun:
  • A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
  • A rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.
The first definition is positive. The second definition may not be positive if it involves a rule or belief that is wrong. The second definition does not specify whether the rule or belief is fundamental - this is because the first definition covers that. LePage will often fight on principles which are based in his own biased, fashioned beliefs.

Self-confidence is only useful when it avoids narcissism and egoism - taking down a mural because "I feel like it" is egoism. It's also a negative use of principles.

ar·ro·gance

noun \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\


Definition of ARROGANCE

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Arrogance is confidence that leads one to believe they are superior - unrealistically. If they are superior realistically, then it technically would not be arrogance.


1con·fi·dence

noun \ˈkän-fə-dən(t)s, -ˌden(t)s\


Definition of CONFIDENCE

1
a : a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances <had perfect confidence in her ability to succeed> <met the risk with brash confidence> b : faith or belief that one will act in a right, proper, or effective way <have confidence in a leader>

2
: the quality or state of being certain : certitude <they had every confidence of success>

3
a : a relation of trust or intimacy <took his friend into his confidence> b : reliance on another's discretion <their story was told in strictest confidence> c : support especially in a legislative body <vote of confidence>

4
: a communication made in confidence : secret <accused him of betraying a confidence>



Note how confidence definitions talk more about someone else than oneself. Confidence is something other people see - a fact. Confidence in someone else's abilities, character, etc. Arrogance is a self-absorbed exaggeration or fabrication or ones own abilities or character. Self-confidence can lead to arrogance because of this.


I'm not sure what you meant by "Why does your comment not surprise me." It gave me a chuckle.
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,405,270 times
Reputation: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Not many of us!
Votes for Baldacci in 2006: 209,927

Votes for LePage in 2010: 216,761
 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
 
1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Reminds me of those jokes about dating these days: "He has a job?!?! He hasn't been to jail?!! He has a car??! He's the perfect man!" Whether or not you agree with what he has done/is trying to do as governor, I think you should be ashamed of yourself for belittling LePage's life story/experiences/accomplishments and his willingness to work for a living and make a life for himself and his family. What do you have against overcoming obstacles in life, working for a college education, working for a living and entrepreneurship? His family spoke French (I have nothing against French btw) and he was willing to learn English to improve his chances to earn a part of the American dream. Are you a socialist?


prin·ci·ple/ˈprinsəpəl/

Noun:
  • A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
  • A rule or belief governing one's personal behavior.
The first definition is positive. The second definition may not be positive if it involves a rule or belief that is wrong. Wrong in whose opinion? yours? Aren't your beliefs biased? Aren't everyone's beliefs biased because they believe them to be true? In America, everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Are opinions facts? Are only your opinions facts? The second definition does not specify whether the rule or belief is fundamental - this is because the first definition covers that. LePage will often fight on principles which are based in his own biased, fashioned beliefs.

Self-confidence is only useful when it avoids narcissism and egoism - taking down a mural because "I feel like it" is egoism. It's also a negative use of principles.

ar·ro·gance

noun \ˈer-ə-gən(t)s, ˈa-rə-\


Definition of ARROGANCE

: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Arrogance is confidence that leads one to believe they are superior - unrealistically. If they are superior realistically, then it technically would not be arrogance. One could argue that LePage is a superior governor to Baldacci. Others would argue that Baldacci was a superior governor to LePage. One could argue that LePage's size and voice lead some to the conclusion that he's arrogant. One could argue that no one is superior to anyone else; therefore, arrogance is a figment of the imagination.


1con·fi·dence

noun \ˈkän-fə-dən(t)s, -ˌden(t)s\


Definition of CONFIDENCE

1
a : a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances <had perfect confidence in her ability to succeed> <met the risk with brash confidence> b : faith or belief that one will act in a right, proper, or effective way <have confidence in a leader>

2
: the quality or state of being certain : certitude <they had every confidence of success>

3
a : a relation of trust or intimacy <took his friend into his confidence> b : reliance on another's discretion <their story was told in strictest confidence> c : support especially in a legislative body <vote of confidence>

4
: a communication made in confidence : secret <accused him of betraying a confidence>



Note how confidence definitions talk more about someone else than oneself. I disagree with this comment of yours. Confidence is something other people see - a fact (their opinion). (Your opinion.) Confidence in someone else's abilities, character, etc. This is one of the definitions. Arrogance is a self-absorbed exaggeration or fabrication or ones own abilities or character. Self-confidence can lead to arrogance because of this.

I think you are ad libbing to assert or insert YOUR own definition opinions.


I'm not sure what you meant by "Why does your comment not surprise me." It gave me a chuckle.
Having read your other comments, you have become quite predictable. When are you headed back to NY?
 
Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
JC3
 
296 posts, read 707,792 times
Reputation: 355
I actually didn't think Lepage"s gestapo comment was so bad. But I wonder how many went bonkers when Pelosi referred to ICE as the gestapo? Was there an big to do about her comment? I don't remember one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top