U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 PM

29,757 posts, read 47,624,761 times

Advertisements

" ... more business friendly" is a good thing IMHO

" ... education being addressed" is a good thing IMHO

" ... entitlements ... monitored more closely" is a good thing IMHO

He is confident, self-assured, passionate, and has business experience. Which can be good things. However he also has a big mouth and blurts things out at times when he should be silent.

I like that the budget is being addressed without the focus being on more bonds. During the election one of the other candidates wanted a series of bonds to fix the budget. I can not see where higher taxes is going to help any Mainer.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 10,424,312 times
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how education is being addressed when the schools are getting less money each year. Maybe I just don't understand the government well enough.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,882,522 times
There are more votes in the southern end of the state in the Legislature. Schools down that way do not get the cuts in the edu. aid that most towns do. July of 2011 the Gov. came to Eastport and signed a bill at the high school which he said would make the distribution of education aid more fair. So this year we waited to see what the increase would be for us. Our cut from the state (wait for it.) went down by $310,000 while places like Falmouth saw in increase of over $1 million. Now, that seems fair, right? The Gov must have signed it with the wrong hand. It may be getting addressed as he says but I think he's running it backwards from what he said. Imagine, a politician who's full of b...eans

Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

399 posts, read 721,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how education is being addressed when the schools are getting less money each year. Maybe I just don't understand the government well enough.
I believe I read that around 1999 the schools were close to #1 in education and test scores have since slipped way back to #44 since then. The Governor wants more money into the school system in an attempt to regain that standing which I think is a good thing as long as he can do it without raising taxes. In one year my taxes in Maine doubled and I am very much against any tax increases. I hope LePage can reconfigure state government in a way so as to eliminate wasteful spending while improving the quality of life for all the taxpayers of the state. He seems to be business friendly and he seems to know how to go about trying to entice more commerce which I think would be beneficial to all of us.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
This conversation will be locked soon. Political discussions aren't allowed here.

Political discussions are best discussed (or disgusted) in the Politics and Other Controversies forum not in local forums.
FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine