U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 PM

449 posts, read 909,433 times

Advertisements

This is probably a long shot but is anyone here involved in Special Olympics programs? I have a dd in high school who has been a participant for a few years now. Where we live now very few athletes with families willing to fit in practice and games. Some coaches don't even return calls to let you know when sign-ups are though her coach is awesome. We live in a city of 80,000 and the nearby town of 5,000 has a much more active and supported program.

So it seems you can't always go by the size of a city as a guide. Does anyone know of some good areas where families do get involved - at the high school level?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 AM

86 posts, read 359,927 times
Special Olympics Maine

I used to work in South Portland and was involved in certain areas. (mostly raising money)
There were many families and teachers that used to practice and go to the summer and winter games together. For the most part it was coaches and athletes at events with parents on the sidelines. That was good for most of the athletes and nice for parents as well.
I'm sure if you contact the special olympics maine site (above) that Lisa, Mark.... or anyone who answers could give you direct information on contacts to train with. Great group of people there to help you!!
I think it would be a great area if it is still anything like it used to be.
Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Rico,
Thanks I'll make some calls to find out more. We were so used to seeing parents, even adult sibs and teachers at games where we lived before - here we were usually the only family along with the coach and volunteers at practices and games. We really miss the comradarie and friendships we had with other families. This was a very different experience.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM

6,232 posts, read 8,011,223 times
The Old Town and Orono area has an active group and the annual Special Olympics is held at the university in June. My wife is the special education director for this region.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 AM

NMLM,

Thank you for the suggestion, we'll have to look further into those areas.
We're still trying to narrow down our search and an active Special Olympics is an important part of that. I'm sure your wife hears how important it is to the kids and families involved, especially the athletes - we really appreciate the hard work that keeps it going.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM

7,713 posts, read 7,796,031 times
Here is some pretty good info on Special Olympics in Maine. Gives info and contacts for each county.
Special Olympics Maine
hope it helps

Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM

msina,
Yes it does help Thanks for the link.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM

7,713 posts, read 7,796,031 times
I'm so glad ,.. You're quite welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine