Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,132 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 (husband, wife, 12 yr old girl, 11 yr old boy, and 2 yr old girl) and we are moving to York in about 3 weeks. We are completely new to the area and don't know anyone in the state. We are looking to meet people and make new friends and we are wondering if that is an easy thing to do in York? We are self-employed and work from home, so that removes one of the ways of usually meeting people. I know that the kids will make friends once school starts, but my husband and I were wondering about different activities and clubs that we may be able to get involved with. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,870,666 times
Attend church/community suppers (doesn't matter if it's your church) and other community events. Go to the beach, smile, be friendly. Don't talk about where you moved from unless someone asks. If you like it better in TX, you might want to keep it to yourself. Here's a link that might be helpful. Welcome to the York Parks and Recreation Department!

What about a rotary club? Here's another link. York, Maine - Clubs & Organizations Attend some of the chamber of commerce events The Greater York Region Chamber of Commerce

Go kayaking http://excursionsinmaine.com/ (oops--might need a babysitter for the 2 yr. old)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM

827 posts, read 1,668,390 times
Just an FYI York [as well as other seaside towns] have a HUGE increase in population during the summer months. Traffic is horrid, it's very noisey and crowded. during the winter it calms down to a snails pace. Manyn shops close up soon after labor day.

P.S. On Labor Day stay away from I95 [Maine Turnpike] it will be bumper to bumper South Bound from the tolls in York to past Portland as The Great Exodus commences Rt 1 may be heavily trafficed as well. Learn the back roads it may save you time and headaches.

York has excellent Police, Fire, and Ambulance crews, and York Hospital is a very good place.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,380,875 times
BOOTSTRAPS,

I remember when living in Eliot when I was a kid that York was THE pace for my mom to take us kids. They have a Long Sands Beach and a Short Sands Beach and a cool village with shops and rides. It was only a hop, skip and a jump from Eliot anyways just like Wells Beach. All the beaches in that area including the NH beaches are close including Portsmouth which is heavy in brick buildings, old stores and eats to die for. You must try a Moe's Italian Sandwich in downtown Portsmouth.

There are several close towns that you could live in, away from the ocean, but still feel that you live in the seacoast area. The smells, breezes and ocean influences are all over.

Your new situation sounds exciting. Being self-employed is something I'm familiar with as I'm going on 26 years now. That makes some things much easier in life but other things more difficult. You adults can meet people in places others have already suggested. Or, go find a dart/cribbage/set-back/domino/hearts club. Your kids will meet other kids from all over the country/world in the summer months if they hang out or work the beaches in the summer. Plus, school is just around the corner so they'll be guaranteed to meet new people real soon.

Coming from Texas, I think you're in for some cool changes in your lives. I envy you. I don't think you could have picked a better place in the world. That area is still my entire families favorite place to have lived. And we've lived all over from coast to coast.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,153,120 times
Bienvenue and welcome! May I be among the first to extend you and your family a very warm welcome to York County!

You can't go wrong with volunteering your time at the schools. Most of the parents will know each others' families for generations, don't let that stop you from joining things, or starting things. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, computer clubs, sports, you name it. You will get to know other parents from kids' playdates, etc. Don't hold back. Other parents can be fantastic resources for getting you involved in the community.

Have fun and keep us apprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine