U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 PM

303 posts, read 1,290,606 times

Advertisements

Well, it's the leaks I think is weird. Happy to fix the windsheild and they noted a reflector which is fine too.
I wish I could access the checklist if there is such a thing to see what is up with the leak issue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM

444 posts, read 973,267 times
I went to the site Coaster mentioned and found in Class A vehicle inspections 23 items are listed that are to be checked and there was no mention of leaks among the 23 items. (Class A being vehicles under 10,000 lbs.)

Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 AM

thanks sportfury..I got to another link....I didn't see a windshield section although I may have missed it....I should have read this before bed...zzzzz.....
I wonder what I do to contest the failure?

Last edited by Moxie; 08-04-2012 at 04:20 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 AM

444 posts, read 973,267 times
Windshields were included in the list I saw. The list didn't go into detail on the items.

Here in WI the crack or chip has to be in the driver's vision area to be considered an equipment violation. It probably depends on the size of the defect. If thats the case in Maine, sounds like it would be up to the inspection guy.

Reminds me, a few years ago, one of my son's had a broken windshield on his beater pickup truck. He took the windshield out and drove it like that for a week or two. He wore googles (eye protection) to compensate for the windshield. I would think that would be illegal but he never got stopped for it. (talk about a redneck)

Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
I learned early on...to have a good local mechanic to do business with....not other national chains where you dont really know anyone working on your car...
the local mechanic....if you do steady business with him...will know your vehicle,,,,and this is the difference..

if I take a car in to my local mechanic for an inspection....yes, he will be thorough....but tell me exactly what NEEDS to be done to pass (with him doing it)
instead of "you should" list which easily goes into the thousands...

if you dont know any local mechanics ask around...ask the store owners, barbers, etc.

the other advantage of knowing a mechanic,,,is if or when the cars suddenly dies,,,he will take you right in...because you've been a good customer and he knows your car

Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,406,680 times
If the bullseye is in the driver's vision area or more than six inches across anywhere, it's an automatic fail. I've never heard of a car failing because the valve cover gasket is leaking, unless it's leaking so much that it's a fire hazard. If that were the case, half the cars on the road would be in trouble. As for the "head gasket" leak, WTH? If that were happening, you'd have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil, both very easily detected. I think you need a second opinion on this.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM

the bulls eye is extremely small, less than an inch and in the upper left of the driver's side. All the way at the top.
Who do I go to? Just get another inspection or go back and complain? Complain to the police?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 AM

471 posts, read 601,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
the bulls eye is extremely small, less than an inch and in the upper left of the driver's side. All the way at the top.
Who do I go to? Just get another inspection or go back and complain? Complain to the police?
We get a fair amount of those bullseye hits on the freeways here in SoCal. I've had several of them fixed by those places that specialize in repairing them with a type of resin. After the fix, which takes about 20 minutes, you won't see the crack at all, and it stays fixed. It also can prevent the bullseye crack from developing into the grand canyon across your windscreen.
You can call your auto insurance agent for recommended repair outfits. The national chain that I have used came out to my business and fixed it on site.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,406,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I'd try another inspection someplace else, and NOT one of the chain places. Ask your neighbors or friends for a good local garage and go there. Also, get the bullseye fixed. Once the weather starts getting colder, the crack can spread quickly due to the temperature variations. That's been my experience, at least.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks!
I bought a kit for the cracked plastic on the reflectors. I'll call Mon for quotes on resin on the windshield.
Then off to find an inspection.
We did go to an independent place that just does oil and inspection. Thought they'd not try to sell us anything. We had used them previously to boot!
I'll look for mechanic recs on Car Talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine