Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,732,124 times

Advertisements

Rotary aka round abouts aka traffic circles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,024,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
but what the heck is Augusta Rotaries?
Here's one
Google Maps

Here's the other
Google Maps

There really nowhere near as big of a deal as some make them out to be, though.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Here's one
Google Maps

Here's the other
Google Maps

There really nowhere near as big of a deal as some make them out to be, though.
True, if one knows the meaning of the words 'merge' and 'yield'...which, unfortunately, judging from my observation of highway on/off ramps is not taught in Driver's Ed around here.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 AM

642 posts, read 1,247,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That brings to mind, You go to family reunions to pick up chicks...
And - your family tree is a wreath

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,880,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
True, if one knows the meaning of the words 'merge' and 'yield'...which, unfortunately, judging from my observation of highway on/off ramps is not taught in Driver's Ed around here.
Really? I find that it's more of the non-Maine vehicles that to that little trick where they fly out of the end of the on-ramp and try to plow themselves a space in the existing traffic... not thinking that they need to "yield" at all!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,854,834 times
The circles in Augusta have a bad reputation. People in a huge rush, possibly gov't officials as they are closest to the one circle (and it's so easy to blame them) racing to a meeting, not giving anyone a chance to get in. Personally I've not had a problem there; simply slide right in. The only time I've had trouble on either of them is when drivers confuse "yield" with "give up" & just sit there.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,461,343 times
...when you know how to go the back way to avoid the rotaries.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM

846 posts, read 1,011,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
No, no, no.. the thread is titled "You know you're FROM Maine...", not "You know you're from "AWAY"...."!
You remember when the Androscoggin River looked like a giant poured a bunch of laundry detergent in it?

I stopped in Lewiston a few weeks ago to get a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's. I looked at the river whilst in town and marveled how clean it looked now as opposed to the early 1970's when I would visit my family in that area. PS, that is where my Gold Crown comment came from, my cousin swore by it! We would go to some place called the "Chicken Coop" on something I believe he called the "Winslow Road" (202?) and it was a BYOB place, we would bring bottles of Gold Crown which I believe was distilled in Lewiston in order to entice young ladies to dance with us. Funny, they didn't seem as impressed with the Gold Crown as Harold was. Tha was about the extent of my drinking career, as I am a tea-totaler. I cannot call on Harold for particulars as he has passed.I miss that guy.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,024,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Really? I find that it's more of the non-Maine vehicles that to that little trick where they fly out of the end of the on-ramp and try to plow themselves a space in the existing traffic... not thinking that they need to "yield" at all!
Well, stopping is a bad idea on the ramps, unless you like getting rear ended. You're supposed to be picking up speed down the ramp to match the speed of traffic and fit yourself into the gap. You only have to "yield" if there is a conflict between you and someone else. If you fit in the gap without making the other driver touch his brakes, there is no conflict. The whole point of the Interstate system is to keep traffic as free flowing as possible. One of the best things Eisenhower did for the country, in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,077,401 times
You know you're from Maine ... if you know what a "DeLorme" is and have one in each of your vehicles and on the floor beside your easy chair.
... if you keep an emergency kit in your trunk that includes a hatchet, a full socket set, an 8x10 blue tarp, and two rolls of duct tape.
... if you keep a snow shovel in the trunk year-round.
... if you've ever gone to a wedding reception that had a cake made from whoopie pies.
... if you think Moxie is the perfect mixer for Seagram's Seven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine