U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM

613 posts, read 630,525 times

Advertisements

I am beginning the process of moving things out of a home (selling, giving away, deciding what to bring) I have lived in for almost 40 years in preperation for my migration north, getting this house prepared to put on the market (new roof, floors sanded, cosmetic stuff). Lots of memories, but I am trading them for a new chapter.......(the final one), North Carolina in the rear view. Good by heat, urban sprawl, gangsta's, unfavorable tax rate, grits. Fortunately for me, no job is needed. I will bring a pension and my (our) life's savings. I will not impact any public coffers, except in a positive way. My wife retires Decedmber 31st. We will purchase by November if our home here sells. I'm returning again in September to look at some homes on our short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I am beginning the process of moving things out of a home (selling, giving away, deciding what to bring) I have lived in for almost 40 years in preperation for my migration north, getting this house prepared to put on the market (new roof, floors sanded, cosmetic stuff). Lots of memories, but I am trading them for a new chapter.......(the final one), North Carolina in the rear view. Good by heat, urban sprawl, gangsta's, unfavorable tax rate, grits. Fortunately for me, no job is needed. I will bring a pension and my (our) life's savings. I will not impact any public coffers, except in a positive way. My wife retires Decedmber 31st. We will purchase by November if our home here sells. I'm returning again in September to look at some homes on our short list.

Congrats and good luck to you on the move.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM

701 posts, read 925,961 times
Quote:

Thank goodness I've only had to wait 4 years...........not 40! and yes, soon, NC will be in my rear view mirror for good.

Best of luck to you and your wife I hope everything goes well for you.............

Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks Guys! Can't wait, and that is the truth.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,164,573 times
How exciting! Congratulations!
Where do you
hope to settle in Maine?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 7,894 times
Quote:
Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
How exciting! Congratulations!
Where do you
hope to settle in Maine?
Originally the thought was the Machias area, as I could get an adjunct position at UM there and teach a little, I still need to fly down here 1X per month to deal with some lingering business issues we are contractually obligated to address, so we have changed our focus to the Houlton area. I can hop on I-85 and get to the Bangor Airport free from the tourist traffic US1 brings in the summer time.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally the thought was the Machias area, as I could get an adjunct position at UM there and teach a little, I still need to fly down here 1X per month to deal with some lingering business issues we are contractually obligated to address, so we have changed our focus to the Houlton area. I can hop on I-85 and get to the Bangor Airport free from the tourist traffic US1 brings in the summer time.
You can go through the puckies from Machias (I forget the Rt. number) and connect with Rt. 9 into Bangor. I've done it in the summer and the traffic wasn't bad. I'm sure you meant I-95 and you'll be happy to have I-85 far behind you.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM

I know the route of which you speak, and it is a nice drive, albiet might not be as good to travel in the winter as the interstate. And yes I did mean 95, I need to get new glasses! Thanks for correcting me. I was on I 85 yesterday bere I typed that.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,519,770 times
And now you can go 75 mph from Houlton to Bangor without fear of a ticket .
It really is a good road and I have done that trip in an hour and a half......sshhhhh lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine