Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Texas (a suburb of Houston, and we both work downtown), and are considering a move. I really dislike the south.
I know I'll have a lot to get used to especially the weather...well, WINTER, really --I just learned what snow pants are! haha =)
I'm not happy here. I was born and raised, but I am not a Texan at heart (don't judge us all by what you see on tv ). I've been fantasizing about moving to the northeast. We have some family in Rockland, but I was thinking more Bangor/Augusta/Portland for the good schools-although, I don't really know much about the schools, just from a quick google, it seems the bigger cities have higher rated schools. (Homeschooling is an option, but I'd rather public school)
My husband is going to start looking for jobs, hopefully soon.
I've been reading a lot here about different towns and areas, trying to get an idea of where would be best for us to move. I'd like to be a stay at home mom when (maybe work part time when the kiddos are in school), so we're hoping for a reasonably priced home (100-160). Any insight/opinions/words of wisdom/whatever would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
What you must understand first of all is that the population of metro Houston is 2 million people squeezed into 627 square miles. The population of all of Maine is only 1.4 million spread out over 35,000 square miles.

In all of Maine, all things being equal, there would be only 2/3 the jobs of what is in the little area of Houston. All things are not equal, the job situation in Maine is depressed.

Before you get your hopes up about moving here, get some idea of you job prospects. Then you can decide where you might want to move. The job situation here is very very very different than Houston, Texas.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
What you must understand first of all is that the population of metro Houston is 2 million people squeezed into 627 square miles. The population of all of Maine is only 1.4 million spread out over 35,000 square miles.

In all of Maine, all things being equal, there would be only 2/3 the jobs of what is in the little area of Houston. All things are not equal, the job situation in Maine is depressed.

Before you get your hopes up about moving here, get some idea of you job prospects. Then you can decide where you might want to move. The job situation here is very very very different than Houston, Texas.

Yes, that is definitely a large part of the consideration. We won't move without a job secured. We have two young children, and can't live like we could have before kids

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
What areas of work is your husband equipped to do?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
The latest unemployment rate in Cumberland County was 6.0%. Unfortunately a 3/4 bedroom house in good condition will be difficult to obtain, particularly if you want to be close to Portland. However FHA has a loan program called 203k that will enable you to purchase a home that needs repairs and borrow the proceeds to go the contractors that will perform the work at a favorable interest rate. For example, you might be able to purchase a home for $150,000 with a loan for $180,000 where the $30,000 goes to the contractors after they finish the work.

The Augusta and Bangor markets have much lower housing costs, but jobs that pay well might be more difficult to secure.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
What areas of work is your husband equipped to do?
He does training for a local credit union. He has CUNA certifications, as well (most, if not all credit unions use CUNA). He trains the tellers, procedure, identifying fake bills, proper legal stuff with credit unions, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The latest unemployment rate in Cumberland County was 6.0%. Unfortunately a 3/4 bedroom house in good condition will be difficult to obtain, particularly if you want to be close to Portland. However FHA has a loan program called 203k that will enable you to purchase a home that needs repairs and borrow the proceeds to go the contractors that will perform the work at a favorable interest rate. For example, you might be able to purchase a home for $150,000 with a loan for $180,000 where the $30,000 goes to the contractors after they finish the work.

The Augusta and Bangor markets have much lower housing costs, but jobs that pay well might be more difficult to secure.
What exactly is "pay well" there?
I don't mean that rudely, at all. Just wondering what a decent salary for a family of 4 is there.
Currently, we have two incomes, so we live more comfortably than I'd expect us to when we move.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
The median household income in Cumberland County was $55,658 from 2006-2010 according to the census bureau. Over the same period the median household income in Penobscot County was $42,658 and $45,973 in Kennebec County. The higher paying jobs tend to be in York and Cumberland Counties where most of the state's population is and housing prices are the highest. That can be a good or bad thing, depending upon your particular lifestyle and activities and trust me, it has debated ad nauseum on this forum for years and I don't want to open that can or worms again. It's the same thing I tell my buyers - what is the trade off for living near the "city" with a higher priced home and less land vs. more land and a 45 minute commute at .53 per mile. There is no right or wrong answer, it is up to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmills View Post
What exactly is "pay well" there?
I don't mean that rudely, at all. Just wondering what a decent salary for a family of 4 is there.
Currently, we have two incomes, so we live more comfortably than I'd expect us to when we move.
A "decent salary" is subjective. See what your current job pays in those areas. There are cost of living comparison sites on the web. Take a look......

My husband found a job first try, with a salary that was only slightly less than what he received in the Charlotte area. We were able to make it work because the cost of living is lower in our area of Maine..........but as a famous CD'er often says "your mileage may vary" because it really depends on your occupation.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Thank you all!

By the way, a few people have sent me direct messages, and I'm not able to reply. It says I've reached my limit. If the folks that messaged me could send me their email, I'd love to chat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine