U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM

151 posts, read 162,925 times

Advertisements

Coming down for a visit from Canadaland, forgot the last time, to get some Moxie, where can you buy it? is it at every store in Maine? is it true it tastes like licking a creosote telephone pole?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
More like cutting a large piece off the pole and using it as a toothpick all day. Although I hear it's good with Seagrams. Tumbler, ice, shot of moxie, long pull of Seagrams, pour out the moxie.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Creosote would have the edge in taste over Moxie IMHO. That being said my father loves the stuff. It is one of those things that you either love it or HATE it. Living in Maine for 20 year's I never once talked to anyone who was ambivalent about the taste of Moxie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
More like cutting a large piece off the pole and using it as a toothpick all day. Although I hear it's good with Seagrams. Tumbler, ice, shot of moxie, long pull of Seagrams, pour out the moxie.
Seagrams makes EVERYTHING better. I don't know if it could make Moxie good though... better yes, good............

Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Since Governor LePage was elected we have been able to get Moxie in 2 liter bottles. Life is good. I worked in Newfoundland for a while and was introduced to Screech. It turns out that Moxie and Screech make a good drink. It could be called a Scroxie.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM

151 posts, read 162,925 times
Yikes, would you actually put anything in Seagrams to destroy it's taste? ? AND where is it available in Maine? and is it sold outside of Maine? and where is it made? and can I take it across the border? and can you buy it in restaurants? and...and...and...

Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Seagrams is widely available in Maine. However, it costs less in NH.

Freeze an iced cube tray of cider. Take an old fashioned glass and put in a half teaspoon of maple syrup. Put in a few drops of Angostura bitters and a few iced cubes. Add an ounce or two of Seagrams 7. Stir lightly. Fill with quality ginger ale. That's a Maine old fashioned. Smoooth.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM

163 posts, read 248,427 times
Have they changed the Moxie formula? I had not had one in almost 30 years until visiting Maine a few months ago. I used to be a Moxie lover, but I swear it's lost some of its kick.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
From the link below:

According to moxiefestival.com, Thompson initially marketed Moxie “to cure multiple ills, including ‘a loss of manhood, paralysis and softening of the brain.’” Competing against many other patent medicines, Moxie underwent a transformation in 1884 and became “Beverage Moxie Nerve Food,” a soft drink.

I knew I liked that stuff. I still buy it at a couple stores in town. I like to mix it with some Jagermeister.

Moxie Festival celebrates a uniquely Maine taste — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM

701 posts, read 925,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
Coming down for a visit from Canadaland, forgot the last time, to get some Moxie, where can you buy it? is it at every store in Maine? is it true it tastes like licking a creosote telephone pole?

I love Moxie! but having never licked a creosote telephone pole I really can't compare the two. To me it has a taste similar to Pepto-Bismal but much better.........there are a few in my family that are definitely not fans of the stuff though.

I've seen Moxie at stores and restaurants. You shouldn't have a problem finding it.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,886,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
You can get moxie at just about any grocery store, I being back about 12 cases back to Ohio with me every time I go to Maine. And it is not like licking the creosote off a utility pole, not that I have ever done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
Have they changed the Moxie formula? I had not had one in almost 30 years until visiting Maine a few months ago. I used to be a Moxie lover, but I swear it's lost some of its kick.
HFCS has ruined the taste of all soft drinks, compare a mexican or kosher coke (made with sugar) to what is in the stores and you will notice a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine