U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 18,457 times

Advertisements

I believe it was a Portland paper so, yes, that was probably it. I want to try & remember to read local news a few times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Hi birdinmigration
I just wanted to clarify that I in NO way meant to imply that she could just show up and teach in Maine. I realize you do not know me personally, but if you did, you would know that I have a lot more respect for the teaching profession than that. I said IF she had teaching credentials (state teaching certification). IF she had teacher certification in NY as a Spanish teacher or maybe an ESL teacher, there may be a reciprocity agreement between NY and Maine for certification; acceptable Praxis scores would be required. Maine teacher application for one endorsement costs $100; add $35 for each additional endorsement request. Maine Department of Education - Administrator & Teacher Certification

If a teacher had certification in another state when the National Teacher Exam was a requirement rather than the Praxis, getting Maine certification now requires the Praxis for those just now (to be certified in Maine for the first time) applying for teacher certification. In some states, a teacher who already has one or more teaching certifications can add additional certifications by passing Praxis exams for chosen subject/certification areas.

I'm not sure what type of certificate you have that expires at the end of one year unless the reason that it expires is that Maine doesn't consider you a fully certified teacher.... sounds like you received it based on targeted need for a specified period of time. There is a provision where if a teacher is fully certified in one area, he/she can be temporarily certified in another area and be required to take two classes per school year leading to being fully certified in that new area while actually teaching in that new area.

The rules and requirements are different when getting temporary certification for a targeted need area (for example conditional, transitional) vs. certification based on being fully qualified in a particular certification area (provisional, professional) regardless of which one a person is fully certified to teach.

Here's another website that the OP might find helpful. Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-12-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 02:23 PM

While I considered a teaching career at one one point, it's something I decided not to pursue. It takes a special type of passion & dedication to be a teacher & I know I wasn't born for that. If I had decided to teach it would've been in the sciences. Definitely not Spanish. I learned the language in my home as a child and polished up my grammar and accenting skills in college. Anyway, the point is I'm not a teacher nor is it something that interests me. However, I will pass this information to my younger brother because he is in school to be a teacher and told me that if I actually do move to Maine, he might consider moving also if he could find a teaching job. He specializes in the biological sciences but says he would also consider teaching Spanish. So this information will be helpful to him. I'm currently certified as a court interpreter for New York State but I'm not practicing the profession because New York State is also in a hiring freeze. I know court interpreter certifications are state specific so it's not likely I'd be able to transfer my credentials. I'd probably have to take an exam offered my the state of Maine. Like I said I'm kind of a Jill of all trades so I'm hoping that'll help me when looking for jobs. I just want a job where I can be happy & make a living.
I read in another thread where a Maine citizen said Portland is worse than NYC. Would you agree with that? I've read about Portland, Bangor & Augusta being large cities. I also recently learned of a city called Eastport which the person said is much better than Portland. I suppose I could look for work in one of the aforementioned cities but I definitely don't want to live in the city. So which are the places close enough where I can commute to a job in the city without having to live IN the city?
Did that make sense? Lol!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm open to working in one of the larger cities but I'd like to reside in a rural setting with lots of land & trees. Lots of peace & quiet with a small community feel. I would like a place where I can establish meaningful human relations with other members of the community. In NYC everything is so anonymous & people are completely shut down & isolated despite the fact that, technically speaking, they live so close together.

Last edited by jez124; 08-12-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Hi jez124

First of all I'd like to say Maine is land and trees and has lots of small communities.....and "small" compared to what?

Eastport is located in the poorest county (Washington County) in Maine....population 1331...2010 census. There are no big cities near Eastport. There's a fairly recent thread comparing average annual income in Cumberland County...maybe even Cape Elizabeth (highest per capita income in the state) to Washington County. You can also find this info on www.city-data.com without the forum threads.

Portland is the city with the largest population in Maine and is the county seat of Cumberland County (64,000 2010 census; Portland metro population 230,000). (I don't think Portland is worse than NYC, but I should ask worse in what way?)

I get the feeling that you might be happy living within 30 minutes of Portland. Look at the employment opportunities linked to the maine.gov website. You should get a good idea of what is available and what you can expect for pay. Decent paying jobs in Maine are scarce compared to large metropolitan areas in other states (unless you work in the medical field) and therefore, if one has a decent paying job with benefits and good working conditions, turnover isn't all that common.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
You really will find several very different ways of life in Maine, and some might not work for you. There are no big cities; Portland is the closest thing. I have lived in and around Portland off and on, and it's okay. We wanted land and room when it was time to start our family, and that doesn't come cheap in Portland.

I have to say, Jez, your last line about the NYC area (" despite the fact that, technically speaking, they live so close together") may unintentionally qualify for the quote of the year on the Maine forum lol.......priceless!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM

@maineguy8888
You said you live in & around Portland. Can you give me an idea of the areas?
I also noticed that your profile says Caribou. If I'm not mistaken, that's northern Maine, correct?

I was looking at places for rent in Maine and saw a few places with what seems like lots of land for $1,200-$1,300 a month!
That's astounding to me. Right now we pay $1,300 for what can only be described as a 2-bedroom matchbox. Most of the time I feel terrible my baby has no space to run around.
While we have pretty decent jobs, we live a frugal lifestyle. We don't believe in owning a lot of "things". Good thing too because the "things" we do have barely fit in the matchbox as it is. Ha!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,779,935 times
jez, I admire your persistence with the idea of moving to Maine, but you are getting way ahead of yourself, it seems. You have not even spent one minute in this state, and you are floating numerous thought balloons about where and how to live here.

There are lots of states that have a "rural setting" with lots of trees, including upstate New York. In fact upstate New York is every bit as beautiful as rural Maine, and so are New Hampshire, Vermont, western Mass, CT, and Rhode Island. My cousin lives on the outskirts of Providence (teaches at Brown U.), in a super-leafy burb, and is about as "community" as it gets.

I don't know if Portland is "worse than NYC". I love NYC and I love Portland. People can say what they want, it doesn't make it true as a rule, or true for everyone.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 AM

@mainegrl2011
I suppose anything compared to NYC is smaller in essence. It's interesting how NYC feels so large yet land-wise it's this teeny tiny thing.
I would like a small town feel where I could go to a small family-owned market & buy fresh produce or whatever. I have this idealistic vision in my head which is why I realize I have to go visit before I make a decision. There's always the chance of disappointment if one is not aware of the reality. As for Portland being worse than NYC I have no idea why they said that. I think they mentioned homelessness but, there's homelessness everywhere. Maybe the person (who had moved from NYC to Portland) noticed it more because, on a smaller scale, homeless will be more noticeable?

I think you're right. I probably would be happiest living just outside a larger city. I will continue looking at the Maine.gov website for ideas.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 AM

@birdinmigration

You're absolutely right. I completely agree. I know it's not all gumdrops & lollipops. I'm realistic. Actually, we have also been looking at upstate NY & Vermont. I admit we haven't given RI & New Hampshire a fair look yet. There's something about Massachusetts that doesn't appeal to me so I admit, I've not even considered it.
Truth be told, our original dream was Canada but it seems really far fetched. So I guess that's why we've zoned in on Maine. Proximity. Not the wisest strategy....I know.
One of the things we do know is that we like the cold weather so moving further south of NYC was never an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine