U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM

13 posts, read 11,876 times

Advertisements

So I think we found a house in Brewer (I will be working in Bangor) however the school that serves 4th graders in Brewer did not get very good test results or reviews on greatschools.org etc. Do they offer advance classes for those in gifted, is the school itself really good or would you say we should take the home we like 2nd best in Bangor and have her go to Mary Snow? Anyone send their kids here and have any insight. Also, have the old schools all been replaced with Brewer community school? Thank you so much for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,429,221 times
Brewer built a new school and all the students in grades K through 8 go to one school. I no longer have kids in school so I can't speak to the quality of that school. My kids were educated in Bangor K through 12 and I found it a great system. It seems that the city council here in Bangor never refuses the expense of anything the School Board wants at budget time. That, however, translates to higher taxes if that is something that matters to you. There are many houses for sale here in Bangor so you shouldn't have trouble finding something in a great neighborhood. What street in Bangor is your second choice house?

Last edited by Newdaawn; 08-14-2012 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM

We are renting first (just to make sure we can stick out the winters as we have been in the south for awhile but the homes we are looking to rent are all zoned for Mary Snow. I'm just a bit concerned as when I mentioned Brewer some people told me it was a bit rougher- kind of how falmouth residents view the schools in Westbrook ( I am not trying to offend anyone- I apolgize if I do- one of my closest friends went to Westbrook public school I just know my parents chose Falmouth because it was leaps ahed of the other school systems and if bangor is that way in comparison to Brewer then I just want to know

Old 08-14-2012, 04:54 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,532,722 times
If the tests are from the national No Child Left Behind Law, you need to take this with a grain of salt. It is now 2012, and in 2014, every child in the country is supposed to be 100% proficient in math and reading or have the school rated as a failing school.

What job do you know including our illustrious legislators where 100% of the workers are 100% proficient all the time? This law attempts to abolish the normal curve. This is impossible. There will always be a certain percentage of humans who fall in the gifted and genius ranges of ability and a certain percentage who fall in the below average to very below average ability. You know these kids from when you were in school. They can all learn, but not everyone can be proficient on these increasingly difficult tests. It is the way it is.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM

I understand that- my issue is that Brewer is testing lower than the state average- I am not expecting 100% just to be at the state average- at the very least. And my daughter took the FCAT here in florida (there proficiency test and scored in the 98% in Reading and 97% in Math so I want to put her in a school where she will be challenged. When she's bored- she tends to be the class clown so the gifted and talented program here in Flroida really helped!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,532,722 times
The you will have to follow your desires and move your child some place where she can compete at her level. But remember, all the teachers in all the schools have pretty much the same skills. Its the population that varies from place to place. Your child can gain everything she needs if properly motivated, and if she knows the consequences of "being the class clown". My elementary, middle, and high school were not super, but I got into college OK. But then I ended up with a horrible college average. I had make up for it in grad school.

School is what you make of it, not what is given to you.

Look at the above average of the state scores, and go there. Neither you nor the teachers in Brewer can change the student population that they have to work with.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,527 times
I know a couple of people who went through Brewer schools. One had a perfect score in calculus (but not in 4th grade), went on to college and became an engineer. The other one goofed off a lot and didn't go to college. As long as your daughter applies herself, she'll do well. If she's too smart for 4th grade and IF there's no talented and gifted program, request that she skip a grade or two; that should cure any boredom she might feel as well as any temptations to perform as the class clown. Slyfox2 offers some great advice. Let your daughter know that there are consequences at home for misbehavior at school and there are no acceptable excuses. When she reaches high school, you could look into sending her to John Bapst....seems like it's what you are looking for. http://www.johnbapst.org/about/welcome

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,429,221 times
Bangor groups grades in different schools. Just because she would be at Mary Snow for grade 4 doesn't mean she would be for grade 5. Middle school 6-8 for the east side of the city goes to the Cohen School on Garland street. The middle school for the west side go to the Doughty school on Fifth Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine