U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
still way cheaper than buying a NEW vehicle...as Coaster says excise tax, sales tax...possibly personal property tax from buying in another state....$3,000?, $6,000?, $15,000?, $25,000?, $35,000? It's up to each individual. btw, Terry Pinkham (castle looking place on the Bangor Rd.) in Ellsworth used to sell classic cars...not many on the lot recently....doubt that they are cheap....but for some, could be the way to go.

Definitely not cheap. I checked a few years back when he had a 68 Mustang on the lot. He has a vary high opinion on the value of the cars. There's also Goldenrod Garage near Freeport. Cars going back to the 1930's. Cool to look at them. Very few Fords; mostly Chevys and Toyotas out there. Wonder why. Everyone keeping their Fords?

Excise tax is high in Maine. 1st year multiply the MSRP (not what you paid for it) by .024 to get the tax. 2nd-.0175, 3rd-.0135. It bottoms out at the 6th year at .004. $23,000 new car would run $552 that year. Oooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Excise tax is high in Maine. 1st year multiply the MSRP (not what you paid for it) by .024 to get the tax. 2nd-.0175, 3rd-.0135. It bottoms out at the 6th year at .004. $23,000 new car would run $552 that year. Oooch.
Which is why I haven't bought a "new" car in 20 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
The price of new cars started blowing me out of the market in 1998. 1995 was the last time I bought a new car; it was a Chrysler van at about $15K.

Then I tried leasing. That turned out the be a nightmare because I exceeded the mileage amount and they thought the car was not new enough, so at the end of the term, I owed the $3K more.

So after that I only bought used cars.

Now used cars are starting to exceed my budget as a retired person. Its cheaper to either fix what I have, or to find something in great condition EXCEPT for some item like the need of a new transmission. But I've become hyper about transmission issues.

Problem for all of us is that with gas prices we are forced to buy cars that can't stay together long enough because the parts are too small: for example, transmissions on little cars are small and undersized, so they wear out faster. thier tolerances are smaller and harder to fix adequately.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Actually......

Stanley Suburu in Ellsworth has a deal for their used cars that makes it simply a waste of time to buy a used care from anyone else, dealer or person.

Everybody's biggest fear about buy a used car is that some problem will develop with the engine or the transmission while you own it. This is particularly difficult if you buy a used car with something like a 5 year payment plan.

Stanley Suburu fixes this. As long as you bring it into them for regular service, they will give you a full life time warranty with unlimited time. unlimited miles for as long as YOU own the car. If I'd bought my Ford Focus ZTW wagon from them 7 years ago, they would have paid for the first repair to the transmission at 70 K miles , and now the second repair to the transmission, and I wouldn't be contemplating having the get rid of a fine little car with a wonky transmission that goes out every 70,000 miles. I already have taken it in for service every 3000 for the life of the time I owned the car.

They will also handle the payment plan through their own company operation.

Of course you ahve to be within driving distance of Stanley Suburu, which pretty much limits it to about a hour, or a radius to about Belfast/Bangor/Millbridge.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
The price of new cars started blowing me out of the market in 1998. 1995 was the last time I bought a new car; it was a Chrysler van at about $15K.

Then I tried leasing. That turned out the be a nightmare because I exceeded the mileage amount and they thought the car was not new enough, so at the end of the term, I owed the $3K more.

So after that I only bought used cars.

Now used cars are starting to exceed my budget as a retired person. Its cheaper to either fix what I have, or to find something in great condition EXCEPT for some item like the need of a new transmission. But I've become hyper about transmission issues.

Problem for all of us is that with gas prices we are forced to buy cars that can't stay together long enough because the parts are too small: for example, transmissions on little cars are small and undersized, so they wear out faster. thier tolerances are smaller and harder to fix adequately.
What do you consider a "small" car? I have a Toyota Celica with 235,000 miles and my transmission (knock on wood) shifts like it did the day I bought it when it had 103,000 miles. Shifts like a new one. If Stanley Subaru is willing to offer a warranty/guarantee like that, it might be worth a LONG drive. If a person is retired, he/she could drive to Ellsworth for the regular service, take a bus to Bar Harbor or find something else to do in Ellsworth to pass the time.

Then when the transmission goes out, have the vehicle towed to Stanley Subaru (get the Platinum AAA membership--about $109 per year, what a deal--which covers 200 miles in towing and I believe up to four service calls per year)....problem solved. Also, if you don't drive much (lots of miles per year), why feel forced to buy a high mileage, more expensive vehicle. It might be as cost effective to buy a bigger car and pay less for it even if it doesn't get as many miles per gallon.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-25-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM

To get the warranty you have to drive it to Stanley every three thousand miles for their $19 oil change servicing. Also the car has to be less than 9 years old and less that 85K for them to even consider offering it with the unlimited miles unlimited time Powertrain warranty.

They have a very nice Dodge Van that looks just like my current one for 12K with this warranty.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Definitely not cheap. I checked a few years back when he had a 68 Mustang on the lot. He has a vary high opinion on the value of the cars. There's also Goldenrod Garage near Freeport. Cars going back to the 1930's. Cool to look at them. Very few Fords; mostly Chevys and Toyotas out there. Wonder why. Everyone keeping their Fords?

Maybe the old Fords have disintegrated. Yes, I am sure he does have a high opinion of the cars on his lot.....the excise tax should be bottomed out though If someone can afford to pay $23,000 for a car, $552 should be like pocket change. A retired friend of mine had a motor home and spent six months a year in FL and the other six months in ME. He could register his motor home in FL for $150 and it cost $1,500 in ME so he became a FL resident.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM

393 posts, read 789,795 times
Just don't buy a Subaru in ME. They have a much higher resale value than in states where Subarus are less prevalent.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Maybe the old Fords have disintegrated. Yes, I am sure he does have a high opinion of the cars on his lot.....the excise tax should be bottomed out though If someone can afford to pay $23,000 for a car, $552 should be like pocket change.
This should read: If someone can afford to pay CASH of $23,000 for a car, $552 should be like pocket change. Most people who buy a $23K car are unable to pay cash. They use their old car as a trade in, hoping against hope that it covers the down on the new car, and then they have to come up with tax and fees, and their first payment of $450, and so an additional $552, is NOT like pocket change.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:11 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
There's a dealer in Corinna on Dexter Rd. that sells cars with warranty. They have a lot in the $5k range and will collect weekly and to those with less than desirable credit too. I believe there are a couple more small dealerships like them around here also. It seems that people go through cars up here in central Maine like water, or should I say snow, due to weathered roads, road mix, frigid temps, long commutes and shortage of repair facilities. So these small dealerships that try to do it all for the consumer may be just the ticket for some. I believe they can offer loaners too. It sounds like a full waranty mini lease to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or