U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times

Advertisements

If you see this at a local service center, walk away. Or maybe there's some genius to it.

Also:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
My father had a sign in his shop sort of like that.

"Our rates: $5 an hour (it was many years ago); If you watch: $7.50 an hour; If you help:$15; If you worked on it first then brought it to me $30 an hour."

Don't know if it worked but it drew a few laughs.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
My father had a sign in his shop sort of like that.

"Our rates: $5 an hour (it was many years ago); If you watch: $7.50 an hour; If you help:$15; If you worked on it first then brought it to me $30 an hour."

Don't know if it worked but it drew a few laughs.
LOL, I have one like that for computer repairs. The prices start much higher, though. I need to add some new lines:

"If some pop-up box claimed you had 87 viruses and you clicked 'fix it' even though you never installed that program and never saw it on your menu before- $XXX.00/Hr."

"If you let someone claiming to be 'Tech Support' for the above software have remote access to your machine- $XXXX.00/Hr."

Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, I have one like that for computer repairs. The prices start much higher, though. I need to add some new lines:

"If some pop-up box claimed you had 87 viruses and you clicked 'fix it' even though you never installed that program and never saw it on your menu before- $XXX.00/Hr."

"If you let someone claiming to be 'Tech Support' for the above software have remote access to your machine- $XXXX.00/Hr."
LOL. Tried to rep. Alas. Yeah, this was around 1970, give or take. For the viruses I think I'd add at least another 0.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times
I do the same thing in my job. When delivering my goods, people will ask me if they can help. I always tell them, sure, if you want. But if you help me, it will take us 30 minutes. If I do it myself, I'll be out of here in 20 minutes. They usually leave me alone but will sometimes continue to help me because they must like my company or something. At least that's what my invisible friend tells me.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This should read: If someone can afford to pay CASH of $23,000 for a car, $552 should be like pocket change. Most people who buy a $23K car are unable to pay cash. They use their old car as a trade in, hoping against hope that it covers the down on the new car, and then they have to come up with tax and fees, and their first payment of $450, and so an additional $552, is NOT like pocket change.
And ther's the reason I don't have a new car or truck. Payments and high excise tax.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This should read: If someone can afford to pay CASH of $23,000 for a car, $552 should be like pocket change. Most people who buy a $23K car are unable to pay cash. They use their old car as a trade in, hoping against hope that it covers the down on the new car, and then they have to come up with tax and fees, and their first payment of $450, and so an additional $552, is NOT like pocket change.
I agree.

I never owned a 'new' car before last year, this was our first time buying a new car. I have previously stuck to 10 - 30 year old beaters.

In my travels before moving to Maine, I have paid $600 to $800 to DMV for annual registration and taxes on an old beater. I agree with you that it is not pocket change. However this it how much vehicles cost to register.

Thankfully Maine has it structured on MSRP and age of vehicle, so there are options the vehicle owner is in control over.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,534,004 times
I've not bought a new car since 1995. During the period from 1978- now I bought several new cars, but since 1995 no purchase of any new car. In 2000 I leased a Chrysler Van, which I still have, but took a bath on the mileage and it ended up cheaper to buy the car than to pay the extra mileage fee.

I decided to purchase a used Suburu from Stanley today. They have a company that handles their lifetime powertrain warranty; they don't do it. But the only cars that qualify are literally creampuffs that look brand new and have less than 85K miles on them. And, you have to follow the agreement to the letter of the agreement.

A friend told me that she lost the tires for the life of the car deal by missing the time requirement by just one day---the deal was off. So their powertrain warranty requires a Level 1 Suburu Service no later than 3750 miles from the last service. If you miss it by just one mile the deal is off, and you need to be able to show them every service, with the paperwork. They do not keep that for you. So if you lose just one service paper, the deal is off. If you are in Arizona, then you need the service, and you can't go further without it. You do not need the Level 2, 3, or 4 services to maintain the warranty. So you need to make a copy of every service and keep both your original and the copy in separate places. There are no exceptions.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,534,004 times
Re: the sign. pretty clearly the noises are going from gentle to the sound of your transmission falling out. sound good to me.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM

908 posts, read 869,373 times
It's not Cash for Clunkers. It's the fact that cars are made better and don't depreciate as quickly. Back when they went 100k and died depreciation was doubly as fast for these 250k vehicles today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or