U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM

473 posts, read 614,550 times

Advertisements

transferring the energy to wood or propane has still been a tremendous savings.
the first step was the on demand propane hot water heater. purchase and installation cost $1100, we had hoped to recoup that within 5 years, it paid for itself in the first year- taking in to consideration the reduction in the electric bill and how much propane we were using.
the year we bought the wood boiler, the oil company wanted $5000 for pre pay- we took that money and bought the wood boiler. we buy two truck loads (uncut tree length) of wood each year which is more than enough wood for the year, which heats our home and hot water year round. we compared the cost of shutting it down and using the on demand system for hot water during the summer months, it costs less to run the wood boiler. the cost for the wood is far less than a years worth of oil for our house based on what we were paying.
i cant tell you how much the propane is costing us because we had two 100lb tanks installed when we put in the on demand system. we had them filled the last time in 2009 and one is still full, the other a bit over half full. the propane delivery people say that if we use it for just the stove and back up heat and hot water, it is likely we will not need propane for a very long time, if we just use it for the stove, it is likely they will come out and pick them up for lack of use before we ever get another delivery.
the HE washer was taken out because it did not work correctly. the cost for replacing clothing, repairs and use did not live up to the hype. when we replaced it with a regular top loader like my mom had, our electricity bill actually went down a bit, not much, but proved it wasnt worth it. initially we had bought it to help with the energy bill, we have 5 kids and hubby is a fisherman, so we were doing 3+ loads a day in a regular size washer. just didnt work out for us. and where i live we cant do any wash in cold water- our water is just too cold, we always use warm.
just the replacing all our lights with cfl's was $40 a month. we are now looking to see if led's will give us any other significant savings compared to cost- right now the bulbs are just too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM

468 posts, read 611,460 times
Ah, I see about the HE washer. They can be temperamental, although ours has worked fine for 9 years. Most of any energy saved is in the water, and the water too, can be a big savings, for those paying city water and sewer rates. On private well and septic, the savings are less, though I suppose less water used saves the septic system some.

Any electrical energy saved, directly by the washer, is, ahem, a wash at best.

I do not use straight cold water here either, as the water comes out of my well pretty cold all year long.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
You have to be very careful with which company you sign up for with propane. I had to switch companies as the one I was using decided they wanted to start charging me $72 a year to "rent" the tank. That was after we had been buying from them for 2 years already. There must be 5 or six companies in this area that supply propane and at least 3 of them charge rental fees for the tank. When I signed up for my new company in August of 2011 I made VERY sure they were not going to start charging me rent on the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine