U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 AM

473 posts, read 614,447 times

Advertisements

a while back there was a thread about how to manage the rising energy costs in maine and what we were all doing to bring those costs down. I just wanted to let you all know, our electric bill was under $100 for the first time ever since i moved downeast 13 years ago and has been hovering just over that mark for several months now- for those of you that dont know, 5 years ago or so it was a high of well over $300. i would expect with 4 teenagers that is as good as it will get until they are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times
And what did you do to get it down there?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 AM

473 posts, read 614,447 times
started with the electric hot water heater, switched to propane and then to a wood boiler.
stopped using the clothes dryer, replaced all lightbulbs to cfl's and just took out the ones that we didnt need (really dont need a half dozen lights in the bathroom), use power strips instead of plugging directly in to socket so can switch things off easier (tvs, computers) replaced appliances and took the time to really read the energy usage tags- took out the HE washer, and replaced electric stove with propane. the biggest thing was getting the kids on board and turning things off when they arent using them.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
I just checked on my computer for our electrical bills. We are getting a rate increase starting in September if I remember correctly but we live in a total electric home in the Duke Energy section of North Carolina and our average monthly electric bill for the past year is $93.51. Love, love, love Duke Energy.

Got up this morning and we had left a lamp on in the living room all night long. This is normal for us. We often forget to turn off our front light. We live in a three bedroom, two bath home with many windows. During the day it is almost as if we were outside because of so many windows. That bill also includes an all night street type light.

We leave our trane setting on 76 in the Summer and from 70 to 72 in the Winter. As long as I can afford to, I plan to be comfortable in our home. When we go on vacations, we leave the setting about the same. We might put it up to 80 in Summer and down to 65 in the Winter, but we often don't bother. I find that things ruin in the house that cost more than a little extra electricity.

Last edited by NCN; 08-25-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
Our electric bill has never been over $44 even in the winter. I have Bangor Hydro as a provider and we have just 2 in the household. I have a gas dryer and hot water is on demand off of our furnace. I do have electric stove.. People are amazed that it is so low and say I must have a "slow meter" lol. I am amazed at others having such a high bill. What are they using so much electricity for? Also we are still using the old light bulbs. This summer it has not been as low as most summers - $25 - as we have used our bedroom A/C quite a few nights.

When and if I need to get a new cooking range I may get gas and hook it up to the same tank we use for our dryer.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 08-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I just checked on my computer for our electrical bills. We are getting a rate increase starting in September if I remember correctly but we live in a total electric home in the Duke Energy section of North Carolina and our average monthly electric bill for the past year is $93.51. Love, love, love Duke Energy.

Got up this morning and we had left a lamp on in the living room all night long. This is normal for us. We often forget to turn off our front light. We live in a three bedroom, two bath home with many windows. During the day it is almost as if we were outside because of so many windows. That bill also includes an all night street type light.

We leave our trane setting on 76 in the Summer and from 70 to 72 in the Winter. As long as I can afford to, I plan to be comfortable in our home. When we go on vacations, we leave the setting about the same. We might put it up to 80 in Summer and down to 65 in the Winter, but we often don't bother. I find that things ruin in the house that cost more than a little extra electricity.
A friend of mine turned his AC off one summer when he went to ME. When he returned to NC a bunch of little statues had melted in the summer heat.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times
If your electric bill went down due to lots of switching to propane, then you have to include the cost of propane, otherwise you still have to pay it in some other source. How much was your averaged use of propane during the period? Also if you switched to wood, how much was your aver age use of wood during the same period?

You have to include these costs to get a total cost or you are just shifting the cost to some other area.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
My gas dryer - which is the only thing I have propane for - used only 4 gal. of gas in just less than 4 months. I can't complain about that. I hang clothes some of the time in the summer but probably less than half the time.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:46 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
a while back there was a thread about how to manage the rising energy costs in maine and what we were all doing to bring those costs down. I just wanted to let you all know, our electric bill was under $100 for the first time ever ...
Good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2
... switched to propane and then to a wood boiler.
stopped using the clothes dryer,
... replaced electric stove with propane.
Some of your energy consumption was shifted from electricity over to propane / wood. So for some of it your not really consuming less energy, just less electricity.

However you are to be congratulated for your greater awareness of consumption, and your work to lessen that consumption

We are in the process of shifting over to solar power.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM

468 posts, read 611,322 times
You "...took out the HE washer" ??

If, by HE, you mean high efficiency....usually a new fangled front-loader, but possibly also a top loader, I grant you they *sometimes* use a tiny bit more electric power for their motors and controllers, especially given that they have a bit longer cycle, compared to old-style top-loading washers. The HE machines' great claim to fame, however, is that most all of them use about 1/3rd the water of old style machines. Now that might not mean to much to folks that use a private well and septic, but recall too that's that much less water that has to be heated, and that usually means dollar savings regardless of what fuel source is powering the water heater.

I'm glad you got your electric bill savings, but I'm not so sure eliminating an already existing HE washer was much part that savings, assuming it was working correctly. If anything, you're probably using *more* hot or warm water now, though this is disguised some by the fuel source switch done on the water heater you mentioned.

There is one other way an HE washer can use more hot water, however, is that if one were nearly *always* selecting COLD water cycles, most HE washers usually temper cold water with a bit of hot so as to take the chill out of it, while old style washers use straight or "tap" cold water. I'd have a tough time imagining this more than undoes the hot water savings of an HE machine, however.

If you mean something else, then please disregard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine