U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times

Advertisements

And how much did you say you wanted to pay for the property? And how many bedrooms do you need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
And how much did you say you wanted to pay for the property? And how many bedrooms do you need?
I'm looking at properties up to $165,000/$170,000... i'd like at least 2 bedrooms.

Do you have to get flood insurance for properties that are along the waterfront?

I looked up a government flood map but it was hideously hard to read - on my computer anyway.

I have 26 houses that i like - 6 can be seen on this trip, and the other 20 are further north. So i absolutely know that i can get more house with a nice view etc. for less money further north. My sisters worry about me going so far away from them to live alone, so i'm checking the closer ones first.

I know someone who lives in Eastport, but i've actually only found one house to see there. Lubec looks to have a few.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM

Are you planning on retiring here, or are you independent regarding living expenses in some other way? Jobs are not easy to find.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM

I'm retired already... thankfully i dont need a job.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Are you looking for retirement community---not a community, just community. My parents moved to a place with a wonderful house that they loved, and quickly found that they were very lonely since there was nothing for them to do in their beautiful house next to the park. There was no senior community that was at all like them.

Think about more than just the house on the water. Without an interactive community, MOST people(not all) will find that the view gets old very fast.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM

276 posts, read 741,652 times
[quote=Jellybean50;25869040]

Do you have to get flood insurance for properties that are along the waterfront?

I looked up a government flood map but it was hideously hard to read - on my computer anyway.

QUOTE]

Usually. If you can walk right down to the water chances are you will need to IF you have a mortgage. I used to sell Flood Insurance and one family who lived in Stockton Springs lived high enough up the cliff of the Penobscot that they did not need to get it. I used to go to https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stor...0001&langId=-1 it it was pretty right on but I just tried it and nothing works. It used to be really easy.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM

For flood insurance information go here: Floodsmart.gov: Residential Coverage Overview

According to the site the average cost is $600 year, and the average pay out is $34,000.

I'm not sure that you need it if you ARE ON THE OCEAN. Floods come when there is no place for water to go from a river usually inland. If you are near the ocean, then there is some place for the water to go, into the ocean. Now if you are on a piece of land like Hatteras or the Outer Banks, the a Hurricane can bring in big water behind you in the inter-coastal waterway, and when that rushes back to the ocean on the other side, it will run over you in a giant wall of water. Maine Coastal is different. The water just runs directly into the ocean.

Now if your water is a lake, or an inland river or stream, at some distance from the ocean measured in 10's of miles, then it will over flow its banks before it hits the ocean. If you are near a stream, you will have to be within 300 feet of it usually. If you are near a river, you will need to be within 600 yards of it.

These are just rough estimates and your situation may be different. And..... I'm no expert or insurance agent or Flood insurance agent.

Last edited by slyfox2; 08-31-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the flood insurance info. I also have a Buyer's Agent and i will make sure when i see the houses i will ask her about it.

I am kind of a loner (have a dog) so i'm not really interested in a lot of activities or people nearby. I like to drive and walk/hike, and draw outdoors (do these things mostly alone) and i'm checking each area for these activities. I also like the beach areas to sit and read, or swim (I grew up along the water, swimming in cold water lol).

The house i like in Thomaston has a tavern within walking distance, which is also pretty cool!

I hope to be selling my house for enough where i can buy my new one with the proceeds and wont need a mortgage. My house here is paid off, but the prices are so low here right now. That's what is holding me back.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
For flood insurance information go here: Floodsmart.gov: Residential Coverage Overview

According to the site the average cost is $600 year, and the average pay out is $34,000.

I'm not sure that you need it if you ARE ON THE OCEAN. Floods come when there is no place for water to go from a river usually inland. If you are near the ocean, then there is some place for the water to go, into the ocean. Now if you are on a piece of land like Hatteras or the Outer Banks, the a Hurricane can bring in big water behind you in the inter-coastal waterway, and when that rushes back to the ocean on the other side, it will run over you in a giant wall of water. Maine Coastal is different. The water just runs directly into the ocean.

Now if your water is a lake, or an inland river or stream, at some distance from the ocean measured in 10's of miles, then it will over flow its banks before it hits the ocean. If you are near a stream, you will have to be within 300 feet of it usually. If you are near a river, you will need to be within 600 yards of it.

These are just rough estimates and your situation may be different. And..... I'm no expert or insurance agent or Flood insurance agent.

most mortgages require flood insurance if in a flood plane

20 yrs ago my flood insurance was 600 yr, recently a neighbor said his is now over 1500 yr - just the flood ins.

on my last mortgage refinance, someone forgot flood ins and i didnt volunteer it- All depends on the severity of damage- I got flooded pretty bad a few months ago....but very little to no damage-so, its one less insurance premium.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
.06 acre is the equivalent of a 50 by 52 foot lot or a 40 by 65 foot lot. An acre is 43,560 square feet. You can buy a lot of house near Thomaston for $170,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine