U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Guess we should plan another drive down to see another cruise ship. On Sept. 12th the Caribbean Princess was there. I believe I read that it holds well over 3000, including passengers and crew. The town was bustling that day and hundreds were boarding busses for various site seeing. Being on one of those "floating" cities doesn't appeal to me. I prefer vacations that include the natural wonders and love zoos,museums, aquariums.

www.barharbormaine.gov/document/0001/1666.pdf

Cruise ship schedule. The Queen Elizabeth 2 will be in BH on September 24, and October 24th. 1132 feet long. Biggest ship to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
Quote:
Guess we should plan another drive down to see another cruise ship. On Sept. 12th the Caribbean Princess was there. I believe I read that it holds well over 3000, including passengers and crew. The town was bustling that day and hundreds were boarding busses for various site seeing. Being on one of those "floating" cities doesn't appeal to me. I prefer vacations that include the natural wonders and love zoos,museums, aquariums.
I'm not a 'cruiser' either. There are probly 3 that i'd ever take: Alaska, Greek Islands, and Panama Canal.

I have seen the ships before both at Miami Beach and Key West. They are amazing.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 AM

I've seen a documentary on Discovery channel about them, and I would never travel on one. They are extremely prone to capsize in difficult weather.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Leaving late tomorrow night - cant wait!!! Maine, i'll see ya soon!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
We did see the QE 2 on another of her visits to Bar Harbor. One that was fun to see was in Portland last September , as they are a deepwater port, you get to see it very close up. Passengers don't need to us a tender to visit the Old Port.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
We did see the QE 2 on another of her visits to Bar Harbor. One that was fun to see was in Portland last September , as they are a deepwater port, you get to see it very close up. Passengers don't need to us a tender to visit the Old Port.
Supposedly you can have a tour of the ship when they visit. And I hear from articles in the Ellsworth paper that Bar Harbor and the State are going to revamp the Ferry Terminal so that these giant ships can tie up right at the dock. Then the buses can pick the people up directly without little ferry boats going in and out of the harbor filled to the gills with people.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 AM

I havent checked in since my househunting trip.

Busy busy... and rather "down" about the ones i viewed, and the prospect of selling mine in Jersey right now (for a decent enuf amount).

Three out of five of the places were grossly mis-represented by their photos!! Worse than profiles on Match.com!

I said to my Buyer's Agent "those photos were from 3 years ago and 3 tenants ago." When you decide to rent out your house while trying to sell it, you run that risk that the tenants will more or less destroy the inside and have it stinkin'. I dont mind cosmetic fixups but these were way beyond that. Not worth the price at all (to me).

My next trip will be going further up the coast, which is what i figured. I enjoyed the drive and the scenery, the place i stayed was wonderful - and any day in Maine is better than a day in Jersey - even tho it poured the last day. ~Jill

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
So sorry the houses the showed you were not up to what they had said. I guess that is why I have so little confidence in Realestate agents. Glad you enjoyed your time here. Did you look at one in Stockton Springs or Searsport? I hope you can find something while the interest rates are at an all time low.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM

157 posts, read 272,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I havent checked in since my househunting trip.

Busy busy... and rather "down" about the ones i viewed, and the prospect of selling mine in Jersey right now (for a decent enuf amount).

Three out of five of the places were grossly mis-represented by their photos!! Worse than profiles on Match.com!

I said to my Buyer's Agent "those photos were from 3 years ago and 3 tenants ago." When you decide to rent out your house while trying to sell it, you run that risk that the tenants will more or less destroy the inside and have it stinkin'. I dont mind cosmetic fixups but these were way beyond that. Not worth the price at all (to me).

My next trip will be going further up the coast, which is what i figured. I enjoyed the drive and the scenery, the place i stayed was wonderful - and any day in Maine is better than a day in Jersey - even tho it poured the last day. ~Jill
Jill, Happy to hear you returned safely from your home search adventure.
Day 2 of our home search in Roque Bluffs area and and some touring of Lubec Water St. And Campobello area , it rained 5.5 inches! But we still enjoyed very much and were impressed and surprised by the appearance of Lubecs developed touristy area, although many businesses had only just closed for the season. Good food and good time had with very friendly wait staff at Uncle Kibby's.

Jill, Your Expereince somewhat mirrors mine in terms of images not being realistic reflective of the home visited in person, fortunately tnatonly happendedin about 4/18 homes we toured. We do have a top 3 we are very seriously considering. Like you said its a matter of balancing the challenges imposed by finding time to and a committed decision to make the time around daily work, family and other front burner obligations to get into the offer to purchase back and forth negotiations which often takeover your life for several weeks.

We have a daughter 's wedding in a month, off to Florida for snowbird home maintenance during thanksgiving holiday, well, and then the Christmas holidays start, Oh my! From a practical and costs stand point, I am not yet convinced putting an offer in now would be prudent given winters approach, might just be a resource drainer, both costs and level of effort for the short term. emotionally however, if the family envisions Christmas in Maine over Maryland, the sale couldpossiblyhapen befor the holidays.

Top three homes towns were located in Stockton Springs, Jonesport, and Harrington , however I was not getting that touchy feely warm and fuzzy , this is it , I could live here feel for Stockton Springs and Harrington. Mostly due to the feeling of remoteness from towns folk and close by necessities e.g. Grocery, gas, hardware store for the later towns. Harrington and Stockton Springs would require a minimum 20-25 minutes just to pickup a grocery item. Jonesport seemed more to fit the bill and my need to feel like I could fit in and belong to a community, more intimate feel to it, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine