U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The show is archived here:

Constitutional Radio Network:
TalkShoe - Audio
Got it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I guess she's not named Maine Writer as a wannabee. Great article. You go Girl!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,947 times
Robin. Hunting. Article. I think you're the quintessential Mainer anyway. You take advantage of all natural Maine things and encourage education in the outdoors. Well done.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 AM

I don't know how anyone could not love the outdoors in Maine. We have more natural entertainment than I can watch in a lifetime.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,370 times
Great job.

This was a very good, reasonable article, not usual when discussing something as controversial as hunting. That is true about pigs -- and I will never give up bacon!

Still don't think I can ever shoot a living thing with a gun though. Bow and arrow maybe, but I've never tried it.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times
There are citizens who will protect you, birdinmigration, if you are fortunate enough to have one around when you need him or her. Why take that chance? Carpe diem. Seize the day. Protect yourself.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Great job.

This was a very good, reasonable article, not usual when discussing something as controversial as hunting. That is true about pigs -- and I will never give up bacon!
Thank you.

This is Maine. It is a way of life for a lot of people in Maine. I started hunting in July and won't stop til late November or early December. It's unlikely that I'll tag out on anything except maybe a bear. I do occasionally get my limit of partridge, eat what we have and keep hunting. As I said in the paper, it's usually people who make food choices very close to mine who don't understand. If you eat meat there's no single good reason to find hunting as a means of putting food on the table controversial. That doesn't make sense to me. Someone I know asked me recently if I kill for sport. I was offended and had to put a lot of thought into my reply.

Quote:
Still don't think I can ever shoot a living thing with a gun though. Bow and arrow maybe, but I've never tried it.
I'm not confident enough in my archery skills to hunt with a bow. I don't think I'm strong enough to draw back 50 lbs. I can hit the bullseye consistently at 100 yards with my rifle. At 150 yards I'm usually 1/2" to 1" off. With a target area about the size of a salad plate on a deer, I'm confident in my ability to make a kill shot with my rifle. I'm be concerned that I'd hurt someone if I tried to hunt with a bow right now.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Thank you.

This is Maine. It is a way of life for a lot of people in Maine. I started hunting in July and won't stop til late November or early December. It's unlikely that I'll tag out on anything except maybe a bear. I do occasionally get my limit of partridge, eat what we have and keep hunting. As I said in the paper, it's usually people who make food choices very close to mine who don't understand. If you eat meat there's no single good reason to find hunting as a means of putting food on the table controversial. That doesn't make sense to me. Someone I know asked me recently if I kill for sport. I was offended and had to put a lot of thought into my reply.

I'm not confident enough in my archery skills to hunt with a bow. I don't think I'm strong enough to draw back 50 lbs. I can hit the bullseye consistently at 100 yards with my rifle. At 150 yards I'm usually 1/2" to 1" off. With a target area about the size of a salad plate on a deer, I'm confident in my ability to make a kill shot with my rifle. I'm be concerned that I'd hurt someone if I tried to hunt with a bow right now.

very good points-

mainewriter- keep sharing your views- many , not from maine, and many from maine--- wants to hear (read) it

here's my two cents on hunting

I've not taken many shots at a deer, because I didnt want to wound it, and not be able to find it- I take shots for a quick death, and hope this happens.

I havent met any hunters that want any animal suffer a slow death- so it is wise to be confident and target practice.

Ive had that same question- do I kill for sport, many times-years ago a liberal at work asked me that with contempt... and I told her, let me ask you the same question-since you believe in abortion- of course she started screaming at me.

just 3 generations ago, most of our grandmothers would raise and kill their own chickens and other animals to eat- I had a hard time understanding how society got so squeamish-

Hunting ...has a different meaning...depending on frame of reference-
I can understand and respect a non hunters view (without wanting to shoot them)
but a non hunter. has a tough time appreciating many peripherals that go with hunting...

the time spent with your parents in the woods, your father showing you, drilling in respect of a gun, how to handle it, carry and shoot..., and if you arent mature enough to listen-you just dont go.
showing, teaching you "signs" of deer and other animals

how to walk quietly in the woods, the noises of the woods, reading , gaining knowledge of animals feeding habits, etc.

Also, if you are lucky enough to shoot a deer, how to field-dress it
which is kind of a shock and gross to most kids and adults for the first time,,,but just like cleaning a fish, you get use to it.

A non hunter will never know what it feels to have buck-fever, your heart thumping so loud, and you are trying not to shake.....even after a shot, that feeling of adrenaline is their for quite a while.

some of my fondest memories of childhood is going hunting with my father and brother
I took my son out in his teen years and taught him respect of a gun, and how to read signs, and sit with patience, he's also been hunting with my father and brother and has some great memories,,,watching many doe's meander right by him...one stared right at him...(we didnt have a doe permit)

Sadly, many dont hunt anymore like we use to, and not teaching kids,,,,,and if kids arent taught/influenced- not many will have the know how- or self-confidence to learn how to hunt, when they get older

I enjoy seeing deer-always have....I use to drive and flash the fields at night when my son was younger- we would watch them feed- we'd get pumped up just seeing them(this showed my son what they looked like close up) (I know this may have not been legal, but we had fun spotting them-never shot them at night)

I use to cut up deer and make money on the side years ago, Ive cut up hundreds, - I saw first hand how this meat was going to put food on the table for many mainers, ive also seen first hand - many out of staters, that do hunt for sport- for the thrill of the hunt,,,, will pay and donate the meat to someone I know who needs it- which I always thought was nice.....
...but what I'll never forget....is the kids..... beaming of how proud they are,,,they shot a deer..

Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,370 times
Well, the answers to my comment took a predictable turn. That's unfortunate, as I only meant to compliment Maine Writer.

There is no logical follow-through with the idea that if you eat meat, then necessarily you can't have any aversion to hunting. It's not a solid argument. You should just admit that you like shooting animals for sport and leave it at that. Because, if you use the 'meat eater' argument, I will say, I really love lobster, but I don't feel I need the credential of laying the traps myself. You see where this is going? If I like hamburger, do I need to go and shoot a cow? Probably not, right?

Northern Maine Land Man: Thank you so much, but fortunately I have never felt I needed an armed "protector", even when I lived in one of the most 'active' hoods in New York City. Too much paranoia in this country without any real evidence. Hyper-vigilance seems to be endemic right now, but you can stop with yourself as that is no way to live. Carpe diem ... and honi soit qui mal y pense.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Well, the answers to my comment took a predictable turn. That's unfortunate, as I only meant to compliment Maine Writer.

There is no logical follow-through with the idea that if you eat meat, then necessarily you can't have any aversion to hunting. It's not a solid argument. You should just admit that you like shooting animals for sport and leave it at that. Because, if you use the 'meat eater' argument, I will say, I really love lobster, but I don't feel I need the credential of laying the traps myself. You see where this is going? If I like hamburger, do I need to go and shoot a cow? Probably not, right?

Northern Maine Land Man: Thank you so much, but fortunately I have never felt I needed an armed "protector", even when I lived in one of the most 'active' hoods in New York City. Too much paranoia in this country without any real evidence. Hyper-vigilance seems to be endemic right now, but you can stop with yourself as that is no way to live. Carpe diem ... and honi soit qui mal y pense.
I agree, you dont have to be a lobsterman to eat a lobster....

dont be offended at any of this- I know many many maine woman who refuse to eat venison, and refuse to ever hunt,

and I can respect that point of view...

My stepmother shot a doe years ago and refused to go hunting again-when she saw the big brown eyes as the deer died

Most people dont process their own meat or protein they eat- although we have some very resourceful folks on here, that do,
and for those that do, we are real close to it, so sometimes we have strong opinions

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM

227 posts, read 355,914 times
Quote:

To be honest, I'm a little confused with these analogies. That's okay, though, because I do understand "Great Job", (your main point, I think?) and I totally agree.

Congratulations, Maine Writer! I always look forward to your articles and stories. Both Robin's Outdoors in the BDN, as well as your original blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine