U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: NJ
15,901 posts, read 10,958,252 times
Reputation: 10111

Advertisements

'Fast Food Nation' is an older bestseller that is a very intersting read as it provides much interesting historical data and gives an insight to beef production, highway development, how much chemistry goes into processed foods and so forth.

This is by no means the work of an activist or politician but provides a rich perspective on so many diverse topics just as the old New York Times used to do in the 60s and early 70s in its news article.

I try to eat a mostly veggie style diet but love fish and shellfish...while Venison and grouse are royal treats and mood food.

After I get my deer home from a bowhunt, the heart gets cut up and soaks for a day in plain cold water with many chages. the tenderloins come out, get pepper, drizzled with honey and set on the hibachi in the fireplace.

Then I get out the CD of Jeramiah Johnson.


Last edited by Kracer; 09-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: add photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM
 
17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Reputation: 31223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
'Fast Food Nation' is an older bestseller that is a very intersting read as it provides much interesting historical data and gives an insight to beef production, highway development, how much chemistry goes into processed foods and so forth.

This is by no means the work of an activist or politician but provides a rich perspective on so many diverse topics just as the old New York Times used to do in the 60s and early 70s in its news article.

I try to eat a mostly veggie style diet but love fish and shellfish...while Venison and grouse are royal treats and mood food.

After I get my deer home from a bowhunt, the heart gets cut up and soaks for a day in plain cold water with many chages. the tenderloins come out, get pepper, drizzled with honey and set on the hibachi in the fireplace.

Then I get out the CD of Jeramiah Johnson.
those look great!!


I like the j johnson movie too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Reputation: 8906
Five years ago I posted this on these pages about cold and Jeremiah Johnson.

"170 years ago the first trappers into the Rockies came out in the spring pulling toboggans and lugging their furs on pack mules. They came to a rendezvous where buyers would buy the furs. It was serious business and a huge party all rolled into one. There was a big stump on the site called the talking stump or bragging stump. Trappers would practice their routine for months to get it just right. There was nobody else to talk to. One time the famous trapper, Jim Bridger, got up on the stump for his tale.

"I ain't afeared of Hila monsters, Payutes or Crow. I ain't afeared of Modoc, Cheyenne or rattlesnakes. I ain't afeared of Crows, Sioux or grizzer bears. Only one thing is I'm afeared of." A hush came over the trappers. "I'm afeared of a cold wind."

The crowed murmered in agreement. They knew the only way to survive was to get into a thicket out of the wind and build a fire. Flint and steel was their ignition. Some very dry tinder was worth its weight in gold. It was a matter of life and death. My all time favorite movie is Jeremiah Johnson."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,595 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Reputation: 24157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
YES!!
Very nicely done

what a good role model for other maine girls and woman
Is there only one in the state?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Reputation: 8906
There is only one MaineWriter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Reputation: 5240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is only one MaineWriter.
And for that, some are grateful. No luck today. I watched three snowshoe hares for an hour before climbing down. They gave no indication of any predators being in the area (they react even to raccoons). I was alone today so I climbed down a little early. I want to be at or close to the truck while I can still see well after a moose encounter last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
Reputation: 12037
This is something most who oppose hunting do not take into consideration.

Where I live now was at one time rural farmlands and woodlands and there was a lot of hunting, there was no big over-population problems. Over the last 20 years there was a lot of suburban sprawl, deer habitat was destroyed as cornfields morphed into subdivisions, laws were passed against discharging fire arms in city limits, throwing the balance of nature out of equilibrium.

Now deer are in the subdivisions eating up landscape plants, deer are not relocatable, you can't shoot them with tranquilizer darts and move them elsewhere, they will not survive. If there are 100 deer and only enough food for 70 deer this does not mean 30 starve to death, it means 100 deer eat all the food and then run out and all 100 go hungry. Many of the deer I see are undernourished which is a nice word for scrawny. Because of the overdeveloment in the area where I live and the increased traffic there are way more deer killed by motorists today than were killed by hunters 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 AM
 
17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Reputation: 31223
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is something most who oppose hunting do not take into consideration.

Where I live now was at one time rural farmlands and woodlands and there was a lot of hunting, there was no big over-population problems. Over the last 20 years there was a lot of suburban sprawl, deer habitat was destroyed as cornfields morphed into subdivisions, laws were passed against discharging fire arms in city limits, throwing the balance of nature out of equilibrium.

Now deer are in the subdivisions eating up landscape plants, deer are not relocatable, you can't shoot them with tranquilizer darts and move them elsewhere, they will not survive. If there are 100 deer and only enough food for 70 deer this does not mean 30 starve to death, it means 100 deer eat all the food and then run out and all 100 go hungry. Many of the deer I see are undernourished which is a nice word for scrawny. Because of the overdeveloment in the area where I live and the increased traffic there are way more deer killed by motorists today than were killed by hunters 30 years ago.
good points!
and many people have been injured or killed when hitting a deer in the road, or swerving to miss a deer in the road. because of over population of the deer herd.
I learned my lesson early on- driving a motorcycle at night, almost hit 4 deer on the back roads in one night, I was very lucky, now the turkeys are also a major concern for motorcycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Reputation: 5240
The state "re"-introduced turkeys to my area. They were never here so there is no "re." They cause a lot of damage and poop everywhere. I heard the familiar "peep peep peep I've love my mother" call Tuesday afternoon. There were 55 turkeys in my yard. I saw 70 turkeys during a 60 mile drive yesterday. I never thought about hitting them on a motorcycle. I saw one half way through a box truck's windshield. They could easily kill someone on a motorcycle. We don't have a fall hunt here yet.

I'm leaving in an hour or so to hunt again today. I need to look at a three acre food plot some time during the day to see if the 4.5" of rain we got yesterday washed out the brassica seeds. We've planted leafy brassicas and added rutabaga (Yankees usually call them turnip) to the blend. The deer will eat the tops and leave the root. When the snow falls they'll come back to eat the rutabaga. Hunting isn't just a take proposition. We give too. We plant foods that will stand up to cold and snow after hunting season ends. We don't walk away on the last day of the season and forget about them til the next fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
Reputation: 12037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good points!
and many people have been injured or killed when hitting a deer in the road, or swerving to miss a deer in the road. because of over population of the deer herd.
Thanks, I have already seen two deer hit this summer and a lot of dead deer on the side of the road, and it's not even rutting season yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top