Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,075 times

Advertisements

Im 23, Im a young mother of two. A four year old girl and a 3 month old son. Also there is my husband (he gets forgotten) lol
Ive recently become obsessed with Maine and i want to move soooooooo bad. I like the idea of close community, quiet and amazing landscape. I was wondering where would be the best place to raise my kids i dont want to be too far from portland but i dont mind 30-1hr drive either. im not too worried about the cold, ive lived in new york and conneticut, currently living in memphis tn (and want to get the hell out!! lol)
My husband is a message therapist...will he be able to find work up there??
Im a wedding planner.. again, are we even relevant? lol
Id like really love to be up there in fresh air enjoying nature.. instead of struggling to breath here

give it to me straight guys.. i need pros and cons
thank u
Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Id find employment first before you make a big leap, there are many many decent towns within 1/2-1hr drive of portland

maine is what you make of it- it does get a bit cold in the winter, but we have four seasons, and is consistently one of the safest states in the country

the scenery is awesome, maine has mountains, the coast, many many lakes, ponds, rivers and streams....maine is 90% trees
the most forested, unspoiled state.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Both of you are in the luxury business. With the cost of fuel and the general economy in a deep slump. there is a limited market for luxuries in Maine. I agree that the Portland area would afford you the best opportunity because that's where the people are. Fifty percent of Maine's population lives within 50 miles of Portland hand half of that is water!

There could be seasonal work for massage therapists at ski areas. If you can connect with an active sports network you might tap into or make your own good opportunity. As to weddings, Maine is the least religious state. We don't have a lot of weddings per capita.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Check out the Bath - Brunswick area - it is on the coast but close enough to Portland. There are plenty of people in that area that would avail themselves to having a massage. Don't let Northern Maine Land Man discourage you from coming to Maine if it's something that you would like to do.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,075 times
Brokerman, thats what im interested in... safe and beauty!!!

Newdawn, i have reeaally been liking the bath area. Is it what i imagine? everyone friendly, helping and considerate.
Good family area?
The houses seem cheapest in that area, from what ive found at least..

I was thinking about switching careers, maybe something less demanding, so i have more time to relax and take my children adventuring through Maine
any suggestions, Newdawn or Land man of what is in high demand over there??

I would like to be moved before my daughter starts school next year.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLocean View Post

Newdawn, i have reeaally been liking the bath area. Is it what i imagine? everyone friendly, helping and considerate.
Good family area?

I was thinking about switching careers, maybe something less demanding, so i have more time to relax and take my children adventuring through Maine

What's in high demand??

Maine doesn't have a Hooters- I hear they have good chicken wings

Not all places/areas have massage therapists- Ive been looking for a decent one around where I live and not much to choose from

Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLocean View Post

Good family area?

The health care field seems to have alot of openings from phlembotomist to nurses, not sure if this will continue with obamacare thought.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
If you are lucky enough to find one or two decent jobs, Maine is definitely "do-able". I would recommend renting until you are sure you have indeed found one or two of those jobs.
Anything near the coast (including Bath) will be more expensive than elsewhere. The Portland area is relatively expensive.
Maine is great; you would love it if you can stand cold (and it sounds like you can). Four seasons in spades. And summers can't be beat.
The one thing you need to bring with you is a good attitude. Others can clue you in on what that means; I don't want to stick my neck out too far lol.
Good luck!!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
There are 'Health Centers' in Maine with alternative treatment methods like: naturopath doctors, Reiki, aroma-therapy, and massage. Some of them have been able to get funding by medical insurance / HMOs in Maine.

Both my Dw and myself have gotten referrals from our PCPs to go to one in Bangor, and my insurance paid for it.

Massage therapy is not completely luxury.

I do see where NMLM is coming from and I do agree with him, however there is also a growing trend for insurance to cover alternative treatment methods.

'Wedding planning'; <cough> I got nothing for you. Sorry.

I would say to make a list of all alternative health places in Maine, and visit each of them. [folks here may not respond well with long-distance job seekers] See if there is any openings. I doubt if any of them would admit to an opening over the phone.

The ski resort idea sounds good. There are small ski slopes scattered all over Maine, and in each area there may be a seasonal need for sports / physical therapy. But again you would need to meet sports medicine doctors near to each ski slope, before hand, to get any of them to make a referral.

You may need to flip burgers or pour coffee at minimum-wage for a while to cover the gap, before you find the right fit.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 AM

44 posts, read 102,063 times
Adding to Submariner's comment about flipping burgers for a while, it takes some creativity work-wise if full-time work is not available.

Another way some people here make it work, especially in the rural areas, is to patch together a combination of part-time and self-employed work. For example, you could become a Notary Public to officiate weddings in Maine, and offer an everything wedding package end-to-end. And that would be one part-time self-employed job. Maybe the town office needs a part-time clerk. I know lobstermen who are also winter caretakers and snowplowers, gardeners who are also substitute teachers and bus drivers, massage therapists who are also carpenters and bookkeepers.

Making it work in rural Maine reminds me of a quote from the movie Local Hero . A visiting Texas oil executive is standing on the wharf talking with the lobstermen about their catch:

"Don't you eat them?" he asks the fishermen.

"Oh no," says the fisherman. "Too expensive."

"You work here as well as the bar?" the executive asks.

"Oh aye," says the fisherman. "We all muck in together, do any job that's needing done."

They all pause and look at the executive until one of them speaks up.

"Have you only got one job?" he asks in amazement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine