U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,285,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I have a question......why couldnt someone ...get a wifi antenna, rip off the closest neighbors wifi, with a laptop, then
run cables from your laptop to tv......then you can watch just about anything from the internet- which includes tv shows??
You might be able to get away with it for a while if the neighbor's network was unsecured...until he realizes that someone is sucking down all of his bandwidth and locks down his router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthree View Post
IDK if the program is offered in Maine yet, but there a federal program for free "digital tv," you first have to pay approximately 100 for the box and then the over the air service is caught with the box. It is a way to help people who used to use antennas regularly, but now can't because of digital reception.
Ummmmm, no. AFAIK there is no such thing. There *used* to be coupons available to buy digital receiver boxes at a discount, but I think that program is long gone. A digital receiver can be bought for $40-50 if you don't have a TV with a built-in digital tuner, then you need an antenna (if you don't already have one.

scash-

go to TV Fool where you can punch in your address and get a listing of all stations from your location. Here is a graphic with only your zip code punched in. You may not be able to get everything you want without having to rotate the antenna, not all of your 'requirements' may be realistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anybody from Central Maine have a digital antenna?-radar-all.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 25,685 times
TV Antenna, HDTV Antenna & Digital Television Antenna Options

Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 AM

308 posts, read 257,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You might be able to get away with it for a while if the neighbor's network was unsecured...until he realizes that someone is sucking down all of his bandwidth and locks down his router.

Ummmmm, no. AFAIK there is no such thing. There *used* to be coupons available to buy digital receiver boxes at a discount, but I think that program is long gone. A digital receiver can be bought for $40-50 if you don't have a TV with a built-in digital tuner, then you need an antenna (if you don't already have one.

scash-

go to TV Fool where you can punch in your address and get a listing of all stations from your location. Here is a graphic with only your zip code punched in. You may not be able to get everything you want without having to rotate the antenna, not all of your 'requirements' may be realistic.
I will admit I may have misread the advertisement, but in a local paper there was a two page ad on this specific program. One time cost and it did have any information about an antenna. However, I would not be surprised if the ad was misleading. I will defer to you, because you seem to have more knowledge on the subject.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthree View Post
I will admit I may have misread the advertisement, but in a local paper there was a two page ad on this specific program. One time cost and it did have any information about an antenna. However, I would not be surprised if the ad was misleading. I will defer to you, because you seem to have more knowledge on the subject.
If it was something in a 'local' paper, it's possible that it is something I've not heard about. I'd be interested in seeing the advertisement, my cynical side wants to know what kind of BS somebody might be slinging.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM

After spending the last hour doing general and customized google searches, I've come up with exactly *zero* information on any new gov't program for consumers regarding digital TV. Most of the articles have been dating to 2007 to 2009 and cover the original coupon program that ran out of money relatively quickly.

I'd like to see the ad you mentioned, sounds like some kind of scam to me.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:37 PM

308 posts, read 257,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
After spending the last hour doing general and customized google searches, I've come up with exactly *zero* information on any new gov't program for consumers regarding digital TV. Most of the articles have been dating to 2007 to 2009 and cover the original coupon program that ran out of money relatively quickly.

I'd like to see the ad you mentioned, sounds like some kind of scam to me.
I don't have the old papers, but I can till access the e versions. When I get some free time I'll find the advertisement for you

Old 09-09-2012, 03:17 AM

828 posts, read 743,301 times
Just a ripoff!! All you need is an old style TV antenna. anyone claiming it's HD is a thief.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 AM

617 posts, read 432,488 times
Just go to bestbuy or radioshack and pick up a $20 amplified digital antena and try it out, move it around, set it in front of a window,etc. Here in Lewiston i can get all but one channel the CW or something.
If you can't get any channels return it.

bill

Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 64,010 times
Got tired of climbing the roof and messing with my old antenna so decided to try one in the attic. Bought this one:
Amazon.com: Winegard HD7694P High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna: Electronics

as a package with the mast and amplifier. Once I mounted the amp and power supply close to the antenna, got consistently better reception than with the old outdoor one. No longer have to worry about the weather messing up/ moving the unit. For $111, a pretty good deal.

(Purists may note it is not designed to receive channels 1 through 7 well. Only 2 Bangor stations (WLBZ and WVII actually are that low, WABI and WCSH are actually 19 and 44. Lack of good reception for those channels is compensated by the smaller, easier to fit form factor, and a lower price. My antenna is about 500' above sea level and I get 5,6,8,10,12,13,23,35,and 51. And no cable bill!)

Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM

834 posts, read 495,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mc View Post
My antenna is about 500' above sea level and I get 5,6,8,10,12,13,23,35,and 51. And no cable bill!)

But how can you survive without HGTV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine