U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 PM

505 posts, read 612,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I have general Arctic Altimaxes. I drove to PA with them 3 years ago over Christmas. Some where in Massawhatsis the temperature got to about 60, and in Pa it was almost 70. I drove more than 1000 miles in temps quite a bit above 45 degrees. that was 3 years ago. I still have plenty of tread on them, after 5 years. At this rate they will go another 5 years.

They don't wear that fast in warmer temps. Just don't be driving them in 85 degree temps.
I'm guessing you don't do much annual driving. How many miles average do you normally go a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,543,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
I'm guessing you don't do much annual driving. How many miles average do you normally go a year?
Please tell me what you are asking about?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Please tell me what you are asking about?

Your tires lasting such a long time. It really matters how much you drive a year, or rather its hard to make sense of how relevant it is. One can say their tires last 10 years.... but if they only drive 3k miles a year, that's pretty deceiving.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Your tires lasting such a long time. It really matters how much you drive a year, or rather its hard to make sense of how relevant it is. One can say their tires last 10 years.... but if they only drive 3k miles a year, that's pretty deceiving.
I wasn't selling tires or attempting to deceive anyone. I simply said that that a few miles at higher than 45 degrees is not going to wear them down. When the temperatures get up to 50 in the day time I switch back to my 3 season tires. In Bar Harbor, I put them on after Thanksgiving and take them off in late March normally. I drive about 12-15K miles a year, which is a lot less than when I was working. Most of my long distance travel takes place in the warmer months, since an ice storm in the winter could take out my electricity, and then cause the pipes to freeze since I wouldn't be there to be running the wood stove. Right now its about 4 degrees(probably the same for you), and about 74 inside next to the wood stove.

I think that I put about 6000 miles on them in the winter. But less this year since my other AWD vehicle now has winter tires on it too.

Obviously if you drive a lot in winter the tires will last less long. And obviously if you drive a lot of miles on the soft winter tires in 60-70+ degree temps they will wear down fast.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times
IMHO, anyone who shifts to summer tires when it is still single digits outside is a few bricks short of a full hod, or ...
a 3.5-inch drive, but data on punch cards.
you know a brain like a BB in a boxcar,
a few beers short of a six-pack.
A few revisions behind.
A few tiles missing from his space shuttle.
the attention span of an overripe grapefruit.
the brains of a house plant.
head whistles in a cross wind.
Two sheep short of a sweater.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
IMHO, anyone who shifts to summer tires when it is still single digits outside is

Why would anyone do that. Heck, why bother to even own winter tires then?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 AM

I'm just glad I am able to read and comprehend stuff well. Like the part about owning 2 vehicles and still having winters on the other one.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm just glad I am able to read and comprehend stuff well. Like the part about owning 2 vehicles and still having winters on the other one.
THE WORD "STILL" was not used in regard to still having them on one car. I said that I was driving less milage on the one because I now have winter tires on both of them. I never implied or said that I took the winter tires off of one of them. I think that is an alternative fact.

Enough discussion about a simple comment about how winter tires will not wear down really quickly running them in 60-65 degree temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine