U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 AM

29,780 posts, read 47,673,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
The road gets abuse when a sled trail crosses it from the carbide runners on the skis much more than the studs on the track. Also, the ruts I see on the road are mainly caused by constant overloaded trucks much more than studded car tires. Just saying.
I agree.

Overloaded trucks in the summer when the pavement is soft, do a lot of damage to the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I am amazed that you went there. Okay explain to us the difference between studs use on a snowmobile track and those used on a vehicle tire."

Studs on vehicle tires protrude very slightly from tire treads. Studs on snowmobile tracks protrude an inch and sometimes two inches. Snowmobiles with long studs are supported entirely by studs when on pavement. When on packed snow, a snowmobile track supports the machine and the stud penetrates the soft snow or hard pack. On lakes with bare ice, the studs entirely support the snowmobile. That's the difference. Cars show up at tire dealers with flat tires and most car tire shops have a jar on the counter with snowmobile studs that they have removed from car tires.

In Maine, ATVs are not allowed on snowmobile trails unless they are on tracks. ATVs are very popular with ice fishermen. They use sheet metal screws in their tires for traction on ice. They are effective and stud makers now make studs for ATV tires.

In New Brunswick, the government recognizes that ATV riders bring a lot of money into the Province. ATVs are allowed on Snowmobile trails there.
Snowmobile tracks have studs that are capable of doing major damage to pavement.

Your previous argument was that this proves car studs are bad on pavement.

Do you see where this sounds silly ?

Old 12-25-2016, 09:33 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,560,982 times
Do facts of the little spikes digging out little pieces of road surface with every step not make any sense to you. If it wasn't true then the studs would never wear down. The process is a wearing scratched the surface of the road. Steel is harder than concrete or asphault.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Do facts of the little spikes digging out little pieces of road surface with every step not make any sense to you. If it wasn't true then the studs would never wear down. The process is a wearing scratched the surface of the road. Steel is harder than concrete or asphault.
I do not agree with your statement that car studs 'dig out' pieces of pavement. I call B.S. on that idea.

Heavy traffic [trucks] do wear grooves in pavement.

Over the course of a winter season, maybe a third of the studs in a tire will fall-out. I inspect my tires a lot. The 'wear' on the studs is minimal. They fall out and after a while no studs are left.

On the other hand I have seen sparks flying out from plow blades scraping the pavement I have seen plow blade edges being replaced because plow trucks wear-down their blade edges a lot. The Old Town plow trucks will grind away 3 inches of 3/4 plate steel in a season.

A snow mobile track with studs that stick out over an inch can do damage.

Car tire studs that stick out hundreths of an inch do much less damage, than either snow mobiles or plow trucks.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:50 AM

9,535 posts, read 14,362,016 times
Submariner imagines:

"Snowmobile tracks have studs that are capable of doing major damage to pavement.

Your previous argument was that this proves car studs are bad on pavement.

Do you see where this sounds silly ?"

I did not write that. My point is that all studs damage pavement. Not silly, fact. Many states ban studs.

Incidentally, many snowmobilers stop at road crossings, look both ways and gun their sleds going across the road. that picks the runners off the pavement. They do this to minimize wear on the runner carbides. Studs in snowmobile tracks make snowmobiles harder to turn. This is especially true with long track machines. I buy long track snowmobiles only because in my work I go off trail a lot. Occasionally I run on lakes with an ATV, but that's a cold ride.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not agree with your statement that car studs 'dig out' pieces of pavement. I call B.S. on that idea.
Sorry to be trying to confuse you with facts.

http://preservingoregonsroads.org/wp...UseEffects.pdf

What Grinds My Gears: Studded Snow Tires

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitst...pdf?sequence=2

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 AM

9,535 posts, read 14,362,016 times
OK, for those winter tire doubters, I have scheduled a drill. It commences at 4 PM tomorrow and continues for the rest of the YEAR!

I have a set of four studded tires on factory alloy wheels for a GMC or Chevy 1500 with six bolt rims. I no longer have the vehicle. I upgraded to a 2500 with a Duramax Diesel.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
OK, for those winter tire doubters, I have scheduled a drill. It commences at 4 PM tomorrow and continues for the rest of the YEAR!
So how ARE YOU GOING TO MEASURE THIS IMPACT?

Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 PM

565 posts, read 979,505 times
Default Studs

I drive winter tires with studs. I like 'em. I can afford 'em. And, I don't care a hoot about research, experts and statistics. Sort of like religion. I believe what I believe. Now, I know a cat can have her kittens in the oven and call 'em biscuits and that don't make it so.......but I'm keeping my studs, thank you very much.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
I drive winter tires with studs. I like 'em. I can afford 'em. And, I don't care a hoot about research, experts and statistics. Sort of like religion. I believe what I believe. Now, I know a cat can have her kittens in the oven and call 'em biscuits and that don't make it so.......but I'm keeping my studs, thank you very much.
You buy them on line, or locally?

Too bad you won't get to use them tomorrow. I have to go to the airport to pick up friends and the wife has to got the facial maxxillary surgeon. But she has General Altimax Arctics on her subaru, and I have the Nittos on my AWD Torr-Nox.

I know lots of people with studs, and a few who are studs(but that's a different story altogether, and not related to tires). But I don't know any who are studs who have studs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine