U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM

157 posts, read 272,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Love this thread - now i have to make yet another Pinterest pg - this one for Maine beaches!
This Beach discussion with references rocks!

OKay, Along with pressure from DD - I am convinced and am joining pin-interest today , probably going to save me a lot of time in the long run.

Preparing for our Real estate Great Adveture Part Deux Sept. 29th - focus area is Downeast, our top choice for home shopping and potential seasonal living. A longer "Odd Couple Part II" narrative coming soon to a Maine city data thread near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Here is a video of Lincolnville Beach just north of camden and south of belfast

not a huge beach, but great place to walk your dog, or stop with kids to let some steam off
Lincolnville beach - YouTube

speaking of camden, here is a video of the state park and a vista from mt battie

http://youtu.be/7Y_JcKx4HE0

Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times
Several years ago there was a photo in the Bangor Daily News of surfers and a cross country skier in the same photo at Lincolnville Beach. Only in Maine.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,432,647 times
I've been to Laite Beach in Camden. It is a sweet "little" beach with parking for maybe 3 cars. lol If you have a bike it could be a good beach to use.

We were at Sand Beach in Acadia last Wednesday as it was a gorgeous Sept. day. We acutally found a place to park in the main lot and not up on the road. It was fun to read all the out of state license plates. Saw one from Alaska and one from New Mexico and one from Texas, in addition to all of the ones from the usual places.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM

104 posts, read 213,240 times
Question: How swimmable (temperature-wise) are the Southern Maine beaches in summer?

Sometimes I see photos of guys surfing in the middle of August wearing fullsuits and booties, other times I see photos of people frolicking about on the shoreline like nobody's business.

I realize it's not tropical, but how cold is it, really??

Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,416,263 times
Was up in York Beach for Labor day weekend and the water temp was high 60's. Not to bad at all,the kids and I swam all weekend

Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,365,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I've been to Laite Beach in Camden. It is a sweet "little" beach with parking for maybe 3 cars. lol If you have a bike it could be a good beach to use.

We were at Sand Beach in Acadia last Wednesday as it was a gorgeous Sept. day. We acutally found a place to park in the main lot and not up on the road. It was fun to read all the out of state license plates. Saw one from Alaska and one from New Mexico and one from Texas, in addition to all of the ones from the usual places.
Laite Beach is great. In addition to the 2 or 3 parking spots in front of the bathrooms, you can also park along the side of the loop there, as well as the side street on the opposite side of the bathrooms. Parking is also allowed on Bayview Street, which is a long street right by the beach.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Laite Beach is great. In addition to the 2 or 3 parking spots in front of the bathrooms, you can also park along the side of the loop there, as well as the side street on the opposite side of the bathrooms. Parking is also allowed on Bayview Street, which is a long street right by the beach.
We always go Late-to-the-Beach also, since there are always spots in the lot at 4:00 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
Question: How swimmable (temperature-wise) are the Southern Maine beaches in summer?

Sometimes I see photos of guys surfing in the middle of August wearing fullsuits and booties, other times I see photos of people frolicking about on the shoreline like nobody's business.

most likely an invigorating 55 degrees. Sometimes at Sand Beach in Acadia National Park, as the waves crash on your feet and ankles, it feels like little needles, then the water heads back out with force dragging the sand out from under your feet. When it's 97 degrees out, it's a great place to cool off or stay cool playing in the water all day. The little beach at Corea is nice; I went there one day when summer temps (not water temps) reached 114 degrees....doesn't happen very often.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 AM

87 posts, read 190,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post

I live in CT but love Maine and Maine beaches. Ct beaches are real bad but RI does have some but don't compare to Maine. I love Ogunquit Beach, but it is cold. I was up a few times this year. The last 2 trips were in august one weekend the water was 68 and that felt great the next weekend it was 60 and to me it was brutal. Air temp makes a difference also if its 85 and the water is 65 it will feel very cold. Many wear wet suits for comfort and longer time in the water.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/sstgraphs/Maine-Beach.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or