U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 AM

1,253 posts, read 993,027 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to attending the Fair for the first time!

I'm wondering -- for those who have been -- is it huge? How's the parking and where's the best place to park?

Do people have seedlings and soil for sale? Should I bring a cart or something to carry stuff in? Or isn't it that type of event?

Thanks for any tips or info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,236,428 times
It is great! Plenty of parking but it takes a while to get in from what I remember. We used to take the train from Unity station down. Do they still run one?? You might want to bring a bag to carry some stuff in. Make sure it's green though (the common attitude). And check out the Scythe Company stall. Interesting man who educates on all things suach as that (OK, bias alert. My brother). We are hoping to get there this year again after a too long hiatus.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Oh wow, that's pretty cool, Mr. Tin! Does he actually sell scythes? I would buy one.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Here's the thread from 2010-2011

Common Ground Fair Starts Today

Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,236,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Oh wow, that's pretty cool, Mr. Tin! Does he actually sell scythes? I would buy one.
He (and a few others) work with a woman who is the owner. They get the steel from Europe and buid the snath, etc. They also do a bunch of video lessons as well as courses at fairs around New England and places in the county. They sell them all over the world, literally. Shipped more than a few to Hong Kong, Sweden, Australia. It is quite the operation. They will most likely be at Common Ground.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,272,350 times
There is free parking on two sides of the fairgrounds. If you come in from the Unity side, do NOT allow the part-time police officer standing in the entrance road direct you into the privately owned pay lot on the right. He will try to tell you that the FREE fair parking lots down the road by the fairgrounds are full. Don't believe him. Tell him you have to drop someone off near the entrance and drive on by. I've complained about this for years, and the MOFGA folks just shrug their shoulders. They've complained, too, but someone has an in with the sheriff's office apparently and they can't seem to stop it. Besides charging an arm and leg, the private pay lot is a looong walk from the fairgrounds.

Take a backpack to carry all the literature and goodies that you pick up. A cloth bag with handles for purchases is also a good idea. A lot of people carry water, although there are water fountains on the fairgrounds. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. If you're a caffeine addict, bring in your drink of choice. Coffee is not sold on the fairgrounds.

Cellphone reception at the fair is spotty, to say the least, so don't count on coordinating your meet-ups with friends that way. Set a time and a place ahead of time. Get a copy of the MOFGA paper early and study the schedule to see if there are any events or talks you have a special interest in.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 PM

5,674 posts, read 7,802,738 times
I think you'd enjoy it. The only ride is horse drawn. The music isn't loud and blaring. Food is organic and produced in Maine for the most part. The artisans are wonderful! There are numerous speakers and demonstrations. If you're going to see the booths, barns, garden, high tunnel, farmers market (my favorite part) and everything else, you'll need to plan for a full day. You'll probably want to bring a camera.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Great tips everyone!

I can't wait. I plan on buying from Johnny's Seeds, for sure, and I will have a look at those scythes! I already mow with a human-powered mower, so that's not much of a stretch. I am short though, I'm sure it would have to be custom-made.

Thanks again, you guys. I can't wait, it will be fun!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,272,350 times
Don't limit yourself to Johnny's. Fedco Seeds also has a popular booth, and they have a wider selection IMO.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM

^^

Oh right, Coaster. I think it was Maine Writer that mentioned them on another thread, and I checked out their site. Fedco also have trees, it looks like.

Thanks for all the parking tips, too! See, I would never know any of that.

I can't rep any of you guys any more, but consider yourselves repped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine