Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,040 times

Advertisements

I'm retired US Navy.....married to Filipino woman....we live in the Philippines now...but want to move to Maine. I'm originally from NH....but would like to move to Maine....the coast of Maine is soooo beautiful. We are on a limited income...and can afford a home for 100k or less.... I've noticed most places close to the coast are pretty high..... Am hoping the good folks of Maine can point me in the right direction as to where I can afford to live....in peace and quiet. We have a 6 year old daughter...to think about for schools etc.... Looking forward to hearing from you...and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times
You will be extremely hard-pressed to find a home to buy on the coast for under $100k.

Other than that, where in Maine are you planning to settle? What sort of work will you be looking for? I would really urge you to visit here first, both in summer and winter, before deciding to settle here. You may well decide that staying where you are is the best way to stretch your income and live near the ocean.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM

308 posts, read 517,711 times
Is the weather that different than NH?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,040 times
I was thinking the further away from the coast....the lower the price for the homes should be

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
could/would you consider a fixer-upper?
another suggestion: there's a lot of lakes and rivers in Maine. And they don't make as much noise as the ocean.

I'd definitely visit before buying, not just for the climate. Check out schools, how well rds and such are maintained, jobs, the neighbors (meaning anyone within 10 miles or so).

Jumping in feet 1st could land you a long climb out.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
could/would you consider a fixer-upper?
another suggestion: there's a lot of lakes and rivers in Maine. And they don't make as much noise as the ocean.

I'd definitely visit before buying, not just for the climate. Check out schools, how well rds and such are maintained, jobs, the neighbors (meaning anyone within 10 miles or so).

Jumping in feet 1st could land you a long climb out.
I would agree. While Maine is a wonderful place, and if you jump into the community, you can be accepted easily. I moved here quite some distance from the Mid Atlantic States. But its not everyone's cup of tea. The coastal areas of often more accepting of new people than the interior.

I live in Hancock County(John ancock was a signer of the Declaration of Independence of course) which has interior portions and coastal. I was able to find many houses under 100K including mobile homes in many places on the multi-list in Hancock county.

So you just need to go to the multi-list. I can't put these things here since its a violation of selling things, but I've sent you a personal message with the Maine Multi-List on it, and an example of a three BDR Gambrel House.

There are even several in your prices range on MOUNT DESERT ISLAND!!! Good Luck to you.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
You will be extremely hard-pressed to find a home to buy on the coast for under $100k.

Other than that, where in Maine are you planning to settle? What sort of work will you be looking for? I would really urge you to visit here first, both in summer and winter, before deciding to settle here. You may well decide that staying where you are is the best way to stretch your income and live near the ocean.

This is just plain wrong!!! There are MANY MANY MANY HOUSES ON THE COAST OF MAINE for under $100K from Blue Hill to Bucksport to Ellsworth, and even on Mount Desert Island.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Here's one without the specific information...in Ellsworth: Single Family
3 Br 1 Ba ±1,200 sqft. ±1.000 Acr.

3 bedroom, 1 bath cape with attached sun room w/views and a heat retaining floor. 30x30 2 car garage, sound recording room upstairs. Large back yard w/garden area, small pond on 1 acre. Leonard Lake close by for recreational fun!

How about this for only $109K Don't believe people who tell you there is nothing on the coast except big money houses.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This is just plain wrong!!! There are MANY MANY MANY HOUSES ON THE COAST OF MAINE for under $100K from Blue Hill to Bucksport to Ellsworth, and even on Mount Desert Island.
The OP specifically said "close to the coast," by which I assume he meant at least water view, if not frontage. If you can find a home for $100k on the water, buy it now, because it's a true bargain! He also said he was originally from NH, so it is logical that he's looking close to the coast in southern Maine, where prices are considerably higher than in Ellsworth. Ellsworth is very nice, but it's a long way from southern Maine, and only a small portion of it is near salt water.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Close to the coast means close enough to walk to it or ride a bike to it. I see nothing logical that because he lived in NH that he wants to move to Portland. In fact, it seems more logical to me that he would want a more rural coast such as Hancock County. Close to the coast is not the same as water view. and there are many places that have water view that are at least a mile from the coast.

You assumptions are no less valid than mine since the OP failed to be more specific. Also the Coast doesn't necessarily mean salt water, though it often does. I choose not to hamstring the poster with information unless he specifically asks to be against the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine