U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

3,569 posts, read 3,756,967 times

Advertisements

Ok, the home we looked at/possibly considered has Oil heat now. It was built about 1900 & had a raised foundation recently to replace the old one. It has a full basement, unfinished. (I'd have a inspector see it too beforehand, to see if any Asbestos/lead, etc. in it, but that is another issue of mine )

It is about 1200 sq. ft. Thus, would it be best to get a Rinnai Vent heater of 21000 BTU's or something like it? I have no idea on this, as we have been in AZ for over 10 yrs, so forgot the harshness & heating costs. Here in summer the A/C is ridiculous. In a 2-bd apt it is over $200/mos. just to keep fairly cool but not even cold.

At least ME summers aren't near the lenght, or intensity, of AZ. But in ME, winter costs go up real fast.

Ok, again thanks for all these great ideas & replies on this thread from all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM

908 posts, read 869,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Of course, which is why mornings are cold without any form of thermal-bank in the system.

Yepper.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM

404 posts, read 642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
One of the houses i'm going to be looking at is heated by woodstove and a KEROSENE heater. Ugh, grose to me... all i can remember is my kerosene space-heater of the early 80's and how the stink of it nauseated me. Any idea what kind of heater this would be?

I know electric is expensive, but my two houses i've owned have had electric baseboard heat and i love it. Room by room control, no fuel bill, no heater to go bad and get serviced every year, and it's safe. Yes i know i need a backup - but i dont want it to be kerosene.. thankfully the place has a woodstove but i'm anxious to see the place and see if i like the rest of it. My electric bill has never been what i would call 'outrageous,' and everything is electric in my house.

I wear warm clothes, have a dog and warm blankets for sleeping, and conserve where needed. I do understand that it costs more in Maine, and it's colder there.
Jelly bean...its most likely a monitor heater. its what I have ant I promise you it does not smell and if it does somethings isn't right and it should be serviced. While kerosene sounds awful it actually burns more efficiently than propane or oil. My last house had oil heat...and it smelled...i smelled the oil tank in the basement all the time....yuck! I also have back up base board. I only run it to take the chill off a room. I tried an experiment last year where I used the electric baseboard for a month to see if it was really that expensive and I hate to admit it but my bill was in the upper 200's for a month....the kerosene is more efficient and its really not that bad and heats my whole house.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
^ Thanks. I did Google it and found out basically the same thing. I found many people saying it was amazingly cheap. AND has no odor, just has to be cleaned/serviced each year. The home that has it also has a large wood stove. I'm happy to learn this, i had just never heard of an actual kerosene heater to heat a whole house.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 3,756,967 times
Hey all, my roommate here in AZ says natural gas is far cheaper than wood, coal, electric, oil & kerosene. Wood would only be cheapest, if you had a source that you didn't have to pay for. Natural gas is cheaper than coal per BTU, so he claims.

Is this all true (I've got no idea, as he's, almost 20 yrs older than I)? I have my doubts though, as he pontificates all too often. Oh my...

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hey all, my roommate here in AZ says natural gas is far cheaper than wood, coal, electric, oil & kerosene. Wood would only be cheapest, if you had a source that you didn't have to pay for. Natural gas is cheaper than coal per BTU, so he claims.

Is this all true (I've got no idea, as he's, almost 20 yrs older than I)? I have my doubts though, as he pontificates all too often. Oh my...
Natural gas is cheap, but not available in many places in Maine.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM

404 posts, read 642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
^ Thanks. I did Google it and found out basically the same thing. I found many people saying it was amazingly cheap. AND has no odor, just has to be cleaned/serviced each year. The home that has it also has a large wood stove. I'm happy to learn this, i had just never heard of an actual kerosene heater to heat a whole house.
Me either till I had one! Its good you have a wood stove as back up for power outtage...cause the monitor heater still uses electricity to run. This probably means you have an electric water heater. Which is ok...but elect here is more because of the delivery fee and will be the biggest part of your bill....make sure you sign up for electricity maine after you get here as you electric supplier...my electric bill did go down just a bit when I did. Basicilly you sign up for your electric service and then you can choose who your supplier is. feel free to PM me if after you move here you need me to explain how this works.
Good luck on the move and the house hunting.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
The low tech solution to that is a cast iron pot of water on the wood stove. Walah, instant humidity. Water is cheap.
I got a nice cast iron cooking pot at Reny's for about $20.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
You must be acquainted with a very select group of 80-year-olds.

The fact remains, at 62 I won't be hauling wood for a while, if ever again.
You have my sympathy. At 63, I'm hauling wood, cycling, and hiking up and down the mountains of nearby Acadia National Park.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

I just ordered my wood- $440 for four cords, which should take care of my heating needs until next Summer.

Actually, I'm finally installing the pellet stove that's been sitting in the garage so I probably won't use all of the wood. The pellet stove is going in because, with our work schedules, we aren't home enough to feed the wood stove(s) often enough to keep the temperature comfortable steady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine