U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,537,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I just ordered my wood- $440 for four cords, which should take care of my heating needs until next Summer.
Where did you find a full cord of wood for $110?????? Unless you ordered in in logs that you have to cut and then split... I have no place for that much wood. I order it split and cut to about 15 inches. It costs be $250 a cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,430,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Where did you find a full cord of wood for $110?????? Unless you ordered in in logs that you have to cut and then split... I have no place for that much wood. I order it split and cut to about 15 inches. It costs be $250 a cord.
Ya, 'tree length', I'll have to cut it and split it. I'm too ch...er, frugal to get it already done. Got caught late last year, Dysart's had stopped doing tree length so I had to pay for cut & split, and when I stacked it up, what was supposed to be four cords barely stacked out to three. I don't like paying a premium price...and then getting ripped off to boot. I went into the office to talk to them, they didn't seem to care. I used to get all of my fuels from them- no. 2 fuel oil, propane, gasoline, wood and bio-bricks and eat in their restaurant now and then...now I won't buy anything from them, they can kiss my rosy, red...And I get my wood cheaper than what they were charging for tree length. I guess they got too big for their britches.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM

564 posts, read 975,797 times
If you have cash and can pre buy oil you can save a bundle on oil. If that's the heat source you have.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
....what was supposed to be four cords barely stacked out to three. .

The place to complain to is the state of Maine. Cordwood is regulated in Maine, and if they call it a cord then it has to stack out to be a cord. Otherwise, they are in violation of the law.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,242,041 times
OK - let me ask something... with the different regions and areas of the state, i'm sure winter temps (and therefore heating costs) vary.

If i can find a house anywhere down the coast below say Bucksport, will i be saving much as far as really cold temps go? AND - with power outages - are they so often and so many?? Or only during ice storms...

Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
OK - let me ask something... with the different regions and areas of the state, i'm sure winter temps (and therefore heating costs) vary.

If i can find a house anywhere down the coast below say Bucksport, will i be saving much as far as really cold temps go? AND - with power outages - are they so often and so many?? Or only during ice storms...
the coast is usually warmer than inland, so, yes, id think you would save, on the power outages, those are random- wind is often the biggest culprit

some places very rarely lose power

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Ya, 'tree length', I'll have to cut it and split it. I'm too ch...er, frugal to get it already done. Got caught late last year, Dysart's had stopped doing tree length so I had to pay for cut & split, and when I stacked it up, what was supposed to be four cords barely stacked out to three. I don't like paying a premium price...and then getting ripped off to boot. I went into the office to talk to them, they didn't seem to care. I used to get all of my fuels from them- no. 2 fuel oil, propane, gasoline, wood and bio-bricks and eat in their restaurant now and then...now I won't buy anything from them, they can kiss my rosy, red...And I get my wood cheaper than what they were charging for tree length. I guess they got too big for their britches.
Yeah.... but when you purchase it now, its not good until next year, and only after you cut it to length and then split it. I know this guy north of Ellsworth who jas this giant machine which cuts the logs to the length that you ask for and then splits them at the same time as the cut. And then the end stuff goes right into the truck. When I get it delivered in late april or early may, its plenty dry by November or December. I usually have left over wood from the previous year to last into early December.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the coast is usually warmer than inland, so, yes, id think you would save, on the power outages, those are random- wind is often the biggest culprit

some places very rarely lose power
If the place has a major hospital, it gets taken care of first. There is a major hospital in Ellsworth, and also on one on Mount Desert Island. MDI also has this four engine diesel station as back-up, which will partially power the island in the winter time(not in the summer).

Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 AM

29,728 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
... AND - with power outages - are they so often and so many?? Or only during ice storms...
Urban areas have more redundancy in how power is routed, to provide multiple paths for power to take. So when one stretch of line goes down, the entire city does not go black.

Rural townships like ours, have one powerline going through the township. That one powerline goes on to bring power to the nest township, and the township after that and so on. [There is no redundancy, only one path exists for power to get to you] One transformer can blow and take out power to 20 townships.

It seems that we lose power most often from dead trees deciding to fall over.

In the past 7 years, I do not think that we have seen a single month go by without losing power. It is very random, but it is consistent. It may be for only an hour, it may be for 4 days. This is the 16th of the month, so far we have lost power twice this month.

Backup generators are fairly common place for homes. Also many live a lifestyle where having electricity is not as critical.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,242,041 times
Thanks for the answers.

I lose power here too much as far as i am concerned lol... (i live in a rural area). It's usually off for either an hour, or 12-24. Nothing in between.

The difference is it's usually not in the cold of winter. If i'm not able to move soon, i will be getting a generator for my house here also. I need at least something for my sump pump, and internet/TV!

I do have a well for my water, but we make do without it when we need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine