Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
sounds like redistribution to me
Sounds like it to me too, and I don't like it. Barely staying above water now, scrimping and doing without some of the things that these other people have who are getting back more, like cable/sat TV, broadband internet, no snack foods, PB (no J) sandwiches for lunch every day, no automatic central heating, no snowmobiles or ATVs.

If I could just keep what I make I could breathe a little easier...[whine deleted]...we're running real close to the bone and no room for bad luck...and there's *bound* to be some popping its ugly little head up around here sooner or later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
The thing that annoys me is EBT card allowance of every "convenience" store, some fast food joints and other overly-priced retailers.

"We accept EBT!" signs seem to be proudly displayed everywhere. They are allowed to withdraw money from an ATM with no basic accountability either. It really wouldn't be that difficult to police card abuse either, but it still seems to happen (especially at 1 a.m. in any local convenience store where I have to wait in line for the card to go through while watching people purchase nothing but overly-priced crap).

"I can't buy nachos? What? But I bought them here yesterday!" True story. It happened 2 nights ago. Why the register didn't flag it the night before - who knows, but I had to stand there for 5 minutes while they argued over it.

I have no problem helping people who need it, but for those who would rather buy Yoo-hoo chocolate drink crap than actual chocolate milk, I get a little frustrated.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM

104 posts, read 273,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I have no problem helping people who need it, but for those who would rather buy Yoo-hoo chocolate drink crap than actual chocolate milk, I get a little frustrated.
I don't know what an ETB is, reloop, but I COMPLETELY agree: assistance should only be reserved for food that has nutritional value: dairy, veggies, fruit, fish, meat, etc. Give people free cooking classes along with their ETB cards and teach them how cook right. Show them how easy it is.

By obliging them to buy fresh food you could help with the obesity problem, too (and all the long-term damage that causes).

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
sounds like redistribution to me

my son asked me what my definition of redistribution is when he was in high school

he heard how his teacher defined it...... based on fairness

I asked him....they still give grades on tests ...right? (A,B,C,D,E)

he said yes

I asked him,,if it was fair, if he took the responsibility and studied for an upcoming test,(even missed going to the movies to study) and got an A
The kid next to him, didnt study at all-went to the movies, and he got a D on the test

Is it fair for the teacher to take away your A so now you have a B, and give some of your grade to the kid that didnt study, so instead of having a D he now has a C ???????????

he said thats not fair at all, why should I be punished??(I did the right thing, studied hard)
I said now you know the definition of redistribution

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son asked me what my definition of redistribution is when he was in high school

he heard how his teacher defined it...... based on fairness

I asked him....they still give grades on tests ...right? (A,B,C,D,E)

he said yes

I asked him,,if it was fair, if he took the responsibility and studied for an upcoming test,(even missed going to the movies to study) and got an A
The kid next to him, didnt study at all-went to the movies, and he got a D on the test

Is it fair for the teacher to take away your A so now you have a B, and give some of your grade to the kid that didnt study, so instead of having a D he now has a C ???????????

he said thats not fair at all, why should I be punished??(I did the right thing, studied hard)
I said now you know the definition of redistribution
I like your example. I heard this story on the radio yesterday. Students bringing supplies to school that their parents have purchased and being told to put everything in one big bin so that anyone in the class can get something out of the bin when they want or need it. What if my parents bought my supplies in my favorite colors and I want to keep them in my desk?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
I don't know what an ETB is, reloop, but I COMPLETELY agree: assistance should only be reserved for food that has nutritional value: dairy, veggies, fruit, fish, meat, etc. Give people free cooking classes along with their ETB cards and teach them how cook right. Show them how easy it is.

By obliging them to buy fresh food you could help with the obesity problem, too (and all the long-term damage that causes).
There was a discussion on CD quite sometime ago about potentially drug testing those who receive public assistance. Now if they can't be required to be drug tested, can they be required to only purchase dairy, veggies, fruit, fish, meat, etc?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
I like your example. I heard this story on the radio yesterday. Students bringing supplies to school that their parents have purchased and being told to put everything in one big bin so that anyone in the class can get something out of the bin when they want or need it. What if my parents bought my supplies in my favorite colors and I want to keep them in my desk?
I think if parents/kids had excess, it would be generous to donate or leave on a table...but not required

Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
The thing that annoys me is EBT card allowance of every "convenience" store, ...
Plus this year a big give-away from the USDA is grant money to match EBT use.

Some Farmer's Market have grant money to use to match your EBT money. Say you have $100 worth of EBT, you can now spend $200 at the market. They 'double' your EBT card.

But wait where does it come from?

EBT is foodstamps which comes from the Farmbill administered by USDA. This grant is from USDA. Both come from tax-payers.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
There was a discussion on CD quite sometime ago about potentially drug testing those who receive public assistance. Now if they can't be required to be drug tested, can they be required to only purchase dairy, veggies, fruit, fish, meat, etc?
What?

No coco-pops! No sugary sugar treats! No GMO synthetic petroleum tarts!

You can not do that. You can not force people to healthy food.

That would be racist.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post

https://www.pinetreecard.com/meebtclient/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine