U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Most people who use the cliché about the rising tide lifting all boats are usually flatlander republicans. Rising tides only lift floating boats, if your boat sank and is a shipwreck then it is under deeper water.

The issue is not whether the tide is rising, it's how many ships have been sunk.

Not only do I believe we are still in a recession, we are still in a depression, things are much worse than we have been told and it will be a long time before things get better, FDR did not have the debt we have now and if you are not aware of this yesterday was QE3, punishing savers, rewarding debtors. I wish I could string Ben Bernake up by his neck, everything will go up except your wages, the price of gas is not going up, the value of your dollar is going down, that is why gold prices are going up, because your buying power has just gone down.

I don't want to get all political but it will not matter if Obama gets re-elected or if Romney wins nothing will change as long as we have the FED dictating monetary policy. I am a Ron Paul guy, they say he is a kook, he is a kook alright, he is against everything that is collapsing around us today.

I hope the people of Maine will send Angus King to Washington and ignore all the money "from away" that is being used to buy the seat for incumbent parties A & B. The only way to change Washington is to change the people we send there.
Should I say thank you for the economics lesson? Maybe we actually agree on a few things for a change. So do you disagree with mainebrokerman's analogy about the tide and boats? There may be some boats on the bottom of the ocean and some that have sunk and will never float again. Others may be in a different category--still hope for some of them....flatlanders aren't Mainers... Seems like lots of people liked Angus King when he was Maine's governor. If you're a Ron Paul supporter, I doubt you would support Mr. King's monetary support of Mr. Obama. Don't take my word for it. King answers critics of his donations to Obama campaign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustthere View Post
The problem with Maine is people don't know how to look for jobs anymore. There are thousands of skilled and unskilled jobs available all over this state, however a lot of people only look in areas where they are experienced. Think outside the box people! Quite frankly, when I moved to Maine in 2010 (when the economy was REALLY in the dumpster), since i knew where to look, I had 3 job offers over a span of a week in a very short time. I'm doing very well in Maine for being in my mid 20s and no, I'm not in the Portland area. The trick is to apply to jobs even if you don't think its for you. Once you start, you may just surprise yourself...
oh pleeeeeese....Maine's economy has been pretty much the same for the last 50-100 years. ...consistently a challenge. Maybe you should start your own business and train Mainers by instilling in them your self-proclaimed superior job hunting skills....or you could just volunteer to do this on your time off....and I just have to ask if you're one of those we heard about who is making $9 and hour and has a $400 car payment(?)

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-15-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM

151 posts, read 162,969 times
Try googling any mid size city(town) in the U.S. and google down main street, building after building boarded up, pick any place, this means closed shops, people out of work, some places look like abandoned war torn villages, don't even go to Detroit as there are square miles of abandoned houses and businesses, so many there is talk of returning the land to farms.
My two week vacation is down to 3 days in Augusta and Portland and I'm really looking forward to it. My investments have decreased by 45%, yet many of my friends are living like kings (some working- some retired) where did I go wrong? I guess I should have got a job with the Canadian Government with their golden pensions which I helped pay for.
Looking forward to my Maine Vacation.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,888,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Should I say thank you for the economics lesson? Maybe we actually agree on a few things for a change. So do you disagree with mainebrokerman's analogy about the tide and boats? There may be some boats on the bottom of the ocean and some that have sunk and will never float again. Others may be in a different category--still hope for some of them....flatlanders aren't Mainers... Seems like lots of people liked Angus King when he was Maine's governor. If you're a Ron Paul supporter, I doubt you would support Mr. King's monetary support of Mr. Obama. Don't take my word for it. King answers critics of his donations to Obama campaign
What I was saying is a rising tide does not help everybody, but the ultraconservatives where I live think it does, but that is because they do not know enough poor people to figure out trickle down does not always work if nothing trickles down to the very bottom.

This guy may not always be coherent or be able to remember what federal departments he would eliminate, but in this one moment he was spot on.

I don't agree with everything Angus King has done but because he is an independent he will not be under the control of party bosses who will be alloting the cash from the senatorial campaign fund. Living in Ohio I have been bombarded with ads from both parties since June, I am sure 90% of the money buying those ads came from out of state.

Last edited by woxyroxme; 09-15-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM

13,035 posts, read 7,203,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The adjusted unemployment rate and the unadjusted rate are far different from each other [8.2% and 23%].

I spoke with my brother in California a few days ago, and I asked him how the refugee camps are doing in Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, San Jose, etc. Since we hear nothing about them on the news. He told me that our hometown airport had acquired a large parcel of land adjacent to the airport as a refugee camp, though it only has around 20k camped there. So it is one of the smallest homeless camps.

When I was out there a couple years ago, my plane flew over one of the larger tent cities. It is amazing the things that do not get covered by the Main-Stream-Media 'news'.

I suppose the topic is just too depressing. Like the need for 'adjusting' the unemployment numbers before releasing them for publishing.
.. That's never appeared on the news here. Our homeless shuffle from shelter to shelter or live under bridges.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

163 posts, read 248,486 times
I compare the economic situation of many to the Charles Dickens line in "Tale of Two Cities". Best of times, worst of times. My son works at a popular restaurant in Seaside, here in the Florida panhandle.
Unlike central and south FL, our busy season is like Maine's.... summer. He has had the best season ever, having worked there 9 years.

Our overall economy here is still strong, but not booming like pre 2007. Wife and I just got back yesterday from a funeral/family gathering in Tennessee. Most of my relatives are hard working small business people, and the overall belief from them is that they are fighting harder than ever for survival.

We took some roads on our return trip that I had not traveled in 25 years. What I saw was a mixed bag. Some communities were depressed compared to times passed. Shuttered plants and run down businesses. Other areas had new life and vibrant economies. Alabama has embarked on a business friendly envirornment with excellent results. BMW, Hyundai and Toyota just to name a few that we passed, are a boon to the areas that they are located in. The state is turning the tide as to the offshore flight.

Overall I believe that the federal government is the problem and not the solution. Both parties are at fault. Sadly, the Constitution has been ignored for too long and the population votes for entitlements instead of freedom.

As some of you may remember, I am trying to return to Maine, but need to keep working even though I'm retirement age. Went to check out the lakes/mtn. region in western Maine this spring, and a fellow Mainer from here just got back from the Ellsworth area telling me that I would have plenty of work there.
It all depends on the invividual. Life is different for each of us, but living under the elites in Washington and Wall Street makes it tough.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM

29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
... Overall I believe that the federal government is the problem and not the solution. Both parties are at fault. Sadly, the Constitution has been ignored for too long and the population votes for entitlements instead of freedom.
I agree.

Quote:
... As some of you may remember, I am trying to return to Maine, but need to keep working even though I'm retirement age. Went to check out the lakes/mtn. region in western Maine this spring, and a fellow Mainer from here just got back from the Ellsworth area telling me that I would have plenty of work there. It all depends on the invividual. Life is different for each of us, but living under the elites in Washington and Wall Street makes it tough.
Depending on how much your pension is, you may do very well in Maine.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes, i'mjustthere, there ARE jobs. The issue is, those jobs are paying what people were paid 10 years ago for those jobs. The wages are not increasing but the prices for goods, ARE. That is a problem. It's not just here in Maine, you have to look outside of Maine to get the bigger picture and the fact is, wages are not rising.

The other issue that is going on is that what used to be full time jobs are now part time jobs as companies don't want to absorb the costs of benefits for all. They are hiring either part time workers or seasonal workers, temps or even interns. This is not just in Maine, this is all over. That is a problem.

When I was doing serious looking, I found jobs that said only college students apply. Yes, I actually found some that said that. What is that?! Well, you find out, college students, although they just got out and are ready to take on the world, don't know that $10 an hour for that job they applied for is a rip off. Older workers do. That is a problem.

And let's not forget what submariner said about tent cities. Those are in existence. When you have that many people living in tent cities, something is wrong.

Some may argue with this but in my Economics class, we were taught that even when an economy is not good, people will still go to bars and they will still gamble. Guess what. Even those numbers are down. That is not a good sign. (Well, one could say it is, that people are being smart...but, considering how many people live off of their credit cards...that remains debatable.)

Personally I think the stock market numbers are inflated. They are not reflecting what is really happening to the "common" person. That is a problem.

And since some already said it, I will as well: The two parties are doing us no favors.
Spot on. Wages are stalled. I got a laughable 2.5% raise this year after going for a few years without one at all. Merit raises were a thing of the past years ago. I can assure you my "cost of living increase" is not even remotely that low now.

As for tent cities, in the Bangor/Brewer area, one only need look to a couple of local fleabag motels to see families living week to week in them. Single people typically bounce from the 3 area shelters (one being a teen shelter).

I know it's easy to blame a sitting (or formerly sitting) president for gas prices, but IMHO they have very little to do with rising gas prices. The wind blows down south and the gas price goes up. The temperature drops 10 degrees and the oil price goes up. A sheik in Saudia Arabia hiccups and the price of a barrel of oil skyrockets. There are too many variables to blame it on something as simple as a president.

The two parties are funded largely by people who like to make lots of money, and they also love to invest their own personal funds. They have little interest in the average citizen IMHO. I'm waiting for the debate involving Gary Johnson.

Last edited by cebdark; 09-17-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustthere View Post
The problem with Maine is people don't know how to look for jobs anymore. There are thousands of skilled and unskilled jobs available all over this state, however a lot of people only look in areas where they are experienced. Think outside the box people! Quite frankly, when I moved to Maine in 2010 (when the economy was REALLY in the dumpster), since i knew where to look, I had 3 job offers over a span of a week in a very short time. I'm doing very well in Maine for being in my mid 20s and no, I'm not in the Portland area. The trick is to apply to jobs even if you don't think its for you. Once you start, you may just surprise yourself...
You are very fortunate.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM

29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
... I know it's easy to blame a sitting (or formerly sitting) president for gas prices, but IMHO they have very little to do with rising gas prices. The wind blows down south and the gas price goes up. The temperature drops 10 degrees and the oil price goes up. A sheik in Saudia Arabia hiccups and the price of a barrel of oil skyrockets. There are too many variables to blame it on a president.
I agree.

Quote:
... The two parties are funded largely by people who like to make lots of money, and they also love to invest their own personal funds. They have little interest in the average citizen IMHO. I'm waiting for the debate involving Gary Johnson.
Do you really think that the Main-Stream-Media will allow that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine