U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
But that would detract from teaching the 'anti-bullying' programs, 'same-sex is great', 'drug awareness', 'safe-sex', 'victimization' programs.

That was why public-funded schools dropped US constitution studies. They had no time for it.

When our children were in middle school, one day each week was D.A.R.E. plus five weeks were dedicated to teaching [or preparing] for the 'Masters' testing, and another week for doing the 'Masters' testing. Then so many hours had to be documented on anti-bully programs, and again on 'safe-sex' programs, and ....
There once was a time where most people actually parented their children. Now ask any school system what their number one issue is with the children of today. Most will tell you that behavioral issues are a teacher's number one enemy.

It's pathetic really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Yep...They danced the night away before the Battle of Waterloo, too!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 14,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The adjusted unemployment rate and the unadjusted rate are far different from each other [8.2% and 23%].

I spoke with my brother in California a few days ago, and I asked him how the refugee camps are doing in Stockton, Modesto, Fresno, San Jose, etc. Since we hear nothing about them on the news. He told me that our hometown airport had acquired a large parcel of land adjacent to the airport as a refugee camp, though it only has around 20k camped there. So it is one of the smallest homeless camps.

When I was out there a couple years ago, my plane flew over one of the larger tent cities. It is amazing the things that do not get covered by the Main-Stream-Media 'news'.

I suppose the topic is just too depressing. Like the need for 'adjusting' the unemployment numbers before releasing them for publishing.
Is this really happening, refugee camps?? I live in Texas and haven't heard about any of these existing anywhere. Please understand I'm not doubting you, I'm just very surprised.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossrocker View Post
Is this really happening, refugee camps?? I live in Texas and haven't heard about any of these existing anywhere. Please understand I'm not doubting you, I'm just very surprised.

Disclosure: I have no idea when this story ran, but according to this story, many of the people here were formerly employed in the construction business.

America's Largest Tent City - YouTube

Old 09-25-2012, 02:20 PM

15,086 posts, read 19,729,078 times
It wouldn't surprise me if 50 years from now when historians are detailing this era, they may well call this time a depression. But anyone who thinks it is even remotely close to anything like the Great Depression needs to spend some time talking to people who actually went through it. Talk to your grandparents if they're still around. Times are bad now, but they aren't nearly as bad or as widespread as the 1930s.

And when it comes to the unemployment rate, keep in mind what Disreali said: "There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if 50 years from now when historians are detailing this era, they may well call this time a depression. But anyone who thinks it is even remotely close to anything like the Great Depression needs to spend some time talking to people who actually went through it. Talk to your grandparents if they're still around. Times are bad now, but they aren't nearly as bad or as widespread as the 1930s.

And when it comes to the unemployment rate, keep in mind what Disreali said: "There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics."
I thought that was Mark Twain.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,947 times
I think I remember seeing this story a while back on our local news channels. The video above from NBC sure was dramatic. Before I saw the place, I thought it was in some distant eastern city or something.

These stories pop up around here in Sac every year, especially in the winter when it gets cold and rainy. There are about 2 million people in the three county area. The video said there were at least 1200 homeless in the tents but I immediately thought that that number was a little low. I don't see these tent cities that are shown in the video. Their encampments are more hidden around the American River and Sacramento River areas. This is the capital city and when the homeless set up these tent cities, they will usually be disbanded within a few days because of many health and safety reasons. A few miles down the road in the UC Davis campus, they might even be pepper sprayed.

The city does it's best with this situation and has many shelters and churches that get involved. The California Exposition Center just last August had a free four day event that offered free healthcare, vision and dental. This event wasn't just for the homeless but the under employed with no health insurance too. The lines were long but they eventually saw thousands of people. CalExpo hosts free workshops and employment seminars also.

I certainly feel sorry for all these people and it will tug at your heart when you see the kids being interviewed.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I think I remember seeing this story a while back on our local news channels. The video above from NBC sure was dramatic. Before I saw the place, I thought it was in some distant eastern city or something.

These stories pop up around here in Sac every year, especially in the winter when it gets cold and rainy. There are about 2 million people in the three county area. The video said there were at least 1200 homeless in the tents but I immediately thought that that number was a little low. I don't see these tent cities that are shown in the video. Their encampments are more hidden around the American River and Sacramento River areas. This is the capital city and when the homeless set up these tent cities, they will usually be disbanded within a few days because of many health and safety reasons. A few miles down the road in the UC Davis campus, they might even be pepper sprayed.

The city does it's best with this situation and has many shelters and churches that get involved. The California Exposition Center just last August had a free four day event that offered free healthcare, vision and dental. This event wasn't just for the homeless but the under employed with no health insurance too. The lines were long but they eventually saw thousands of people. CalExpo hosts free workshops and employment seminars also.

I certainly feel sorry for all these people and it will tug at your heart when you see the kids being interviewed.
Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear from someone who's actually there. When we visited the San Diego area last March, there were homeless people cooking at the various grills along Mission Beach. In Hollywood, the divide between the haves and have-nots walking down Hollywood Blvd was interesting. Of course Maine does not have as many openly homeless as CA does, but I wonder what the true percentage is based on population.

In Maine (at least the Bangor area) we have an 'encampment' called "The Pines," but there are other areas tucked well-away from sight in different areas of the city too. There are those who also reside in their cars as it's the last thing they have left, or as I mentioned before, in fleabag motels. I hope the economy will turn around soon and people can get back on their feet quickly.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

True. I grew up listening to Depression stories. There was nowhere near the amount of assistance that people have today.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
True. I grew up listening to Depression stories. There was nowhere near the amount of assistance that people have today.
I also grew up listening to WWII, Depression, and FDR stories. There was a CCC camp in Ellsworth. Didn't families pull together and help each other? A social studies teacher friend told me that the unemployment rate during the Great Depression was 20%. The stock market hasn't crashed to the extent that it did in 1929....not yet anyway. If you're one of the people who lost your job and lost your home to foreclosure, you're living in your own personal great depression.

In response to your homeless comments, there is also a homeless shelter (used to be the post office) in Ellsworth. www.emmaushomelessshelter.org Here's an article you might find interesting. Ellsworth homeless shelter reflects on 20 years, turnaround in formerly icy relationship with city Hancock Bangor Daily News BDN Maine

On a national note, try googling DNC (or RNC) and homeless. If they're to be "hid" during the convention, why not "help" them when it's over.

Will DNC plans hide our homeless?
Agencies scramble to devise plan to house homeless during DNC | CharlotteObserver.com
Let’s help homeless beyond DNC week | CharlotteObserver.com

Downtown homeless will have help during RNC - Tampa Bay Times

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-30-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine