U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,279,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
EMMC I've tried a few times. Nothing. PCHC...haven't heard anything yet.

I think what's killing my chances is that I have no experience in the medical field and a lot of them want you to have experience with medical terminologies and whatnot. I try though. Maybe one day they'll consider me.

Really? The only jobs I see in my area are for Account Executive...which, I am not an Accountant. Do you know what he applied for and where? I would try for that.

I'm also having my resume reviewed, (again!), in the hopes that after myself, the Career Center and this next set of eyes, I'll have the best I can possibly have. It's getting down to the wire for me so I need something to give and fast.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Have you considered looking into some retraining? Maybe there's a scholarship or grant somewhere that you would qualify for. Does The Career Center have any leads?

Were you laid off from any of your jobs, or was it a scheduling conflict so you had to quit?

There is a displaced worker program: Maine Department of Labor: Dislocated Worker Benefit FAQs

This would be a good place to start for anyone who may be caught up in this recession. Notice how I brought that right back to the OP topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 AM

20,817 posts, read 15,577,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Have you considered looking into some retraining? Maybe there's a scholarship or grant somewhere that you would qualify for. Does The Career Center have any leads?

Were you laid off from any of your jobs, or was it a scheduling conflict so you had to quit?

There is a displaced worker program: Maine Department of Labor: Dislocated Worker Benefit FAQs

This would be a good place to start for anyone who may be caught up in this recession. Notice how I brought that right back to the OP topic?
You know, I hate to say anything bad about any experience here in Maine but I have to tell you, the Veterans Department at the Career Center has been a giant disappointment. It's like the guy either doesn't care to do his job or is too overwhelmed with work to help anyone. It really hasn't done a thing for me at all.

I got laid off in July from a job I had...which, that, too, was really part time but it was something. I think the real reason though is because they got upset with me having another schedule and even though they got plenty of notice, they got upset when I couldn't be there one day because of the other job. I was an Independent Contractor and I think some forgot that part.

As for any benefits, the Career Center told me that because I do have a job, no matter how intermittent it may be, I do not qualify for any benefits like UI. They told me that the state of Maine does not have "underemployed" benefits. If I make a dollar a month, oh well. No benefits. Which, I guess is ok, I don't want to take them, I want to make it on my own.

And to take it back to the topic, albeit not as masterfully as you did, this is something else people need to consider when they are talking about recession and people out of work and those on benefits and those having a hard time.

Not everyone who is unemployed or underemployed are counted because they aren't receiving any benefits. The fact of the matter is, those "unemployment" numbers are horribly off; they are much higher than what is being reported.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,279,031 times
Quote:

And to take it back to the topic, albeit not as masterfully as you did, this is something else people need to consider when they are talking about recession and people out of work and those on benefits and those having a hard time.

Not everyone who is unemployed or underemployed are counted because they aren't receiving any benefits. The fact of the matter is, those "unemployment" numbers are horribly off; they are much higher than what is being reported.
Absolutely true.

I hope you can find something soon.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM

29,783 posts, read 47,689,470 times
Quote:
... Not everyone who is unemployed or underemployed are counted because they aren't receiving any benefits. The fact of the matter is, those "unemployment" numbers are horribly off; they are much higher than what is being reported.
Reminds me of a comedy skit I read:
Quote:
Subject: Understanding Unemployment

COSTELLO: I want to talk about the unemployment rate in America.

ABBOTT: Good Subject. Terrible Times. It's 9%.

COSTELLO: That many people are out of work?

ABBOTT: No, that's 23%.

COSTELLO: You just said 9%.

ABBOTT: 9% unemployed.

COSTELLO: Right, 9% out of work.

ABBOTT: No, that's 23%.

COSTELLO: Okay, so it's 23% unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, that's 9%...

COSTELLO: Wait a minute. Is it 9% or 23%?

ABBOTT: 9% are unemployed. 23% are out of work.

COSTELLO: If you are out of work, you are unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, you can't count the "Out of Work" as the unemployed. You have to look for work to be unemployed.

COSTELLO: But they are out of work!!!

ABBOTT: No, you miss my point.

COSTELLO: What point?

ABBOTT: Someone who doesn't look for work can't be counted with those who look for work. It wouldn't be fair.

COSTELLO: To who?

ABBOTT: The unemployed.

COSTELLO: But they are all out of work.

ABBOTT: No, the unemployed are actively looking for work... Those who are out of work stopped looking. They gave up. And if you give up, you are no longer in the ranks of the unemployed.

COSTELLO: So if you're off the unemployment rolls, that would count as less unemployment?

ABBOTT: Unemployment would go down. Absolutely!

COSTELLO: The unemployment just goes down because you don't look for work?

ABBOTT: Absolutely it goes down. That's how you get to 9%. Otherwise it would be 23%. You don't want to read about 23% unemployment, do ya?

COSTELLO: That would be frightening.

ABBOTT: Absolutely.

COSTELLO: Wait, I got a question for you. That means there are two ways to bring down the unemployment number?

ABBOTT: Two ways is correct.

COSTELLO: Unemployment can go down if someone gets a job?

ABBOTT: Correct.

COSTELLO: And unemployment can also go down if you stop looking for a job?

ABBOTT: Bingo.

COSTELLO: So there are two ways to bring unemployment down, and the easier of the two is to just stop looking for work.

ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like an economist.

COSTELLO: I don't even know what the h@#$ I just said!

And now you know why the government's unemployment figures are improving!
Please do not think that I am suggesting anyone is not trying to find a job, it is simply a humorous skit poking fun at this horrible situation our nation finds itself in.

My wish is for everyone who needs full-time employment can find full-time employment.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,563,210 times
Makes sense to me in an odd way.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,451,095 times
Just thought I would mention that " account executive" is NOT an accountant. It is a sales type job.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM

20,817 posts, read 15,577,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Just thought I would mention that " account executive" is NOT an accountant. It is a sales type job.
Yes, I meant to say accounting executive. Or whatever it was...I saw accounting.

Submariner: I know they were being funny but it's actual reality. Those who are no longer looking for work because they have given up, are not counted as "unemployed".

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-03-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM

29,783 posts, read 47,689,470 times
Quote:
Yes, I meant to say accounting executive. Or whatever it was...I saw accounting.

Submariner: I know they were being funny but it's actual reality. Those who are no longer looking for work because they have given up, are not counted as "unemployed".
I know.

When your unemployment benefit runs out, you are no longer counted in the system.

It is a sad reality indeed.

How these politicians can keep going on about 8% and everything peaches/cream is ... wait that language is not allowed on this forum.

I feel badly for folks out of work. I wish there were more I could do to help.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,451,095 times
There are some things all of us can do to help. We can buy things made in USA and not China. Also ask merchants if they will carry more products made in the USA.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM

17,248 posts, read 22,305,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
There are some things all of us can do to help. We can buy things made in USA and not China. Also ask merchants if they will carry more products made in the USA.
Years ago I think there was a push to do this, and to also put a symbol on the products "made in usa"
or an american flag...symbol on the product...

im all for this,,,,id pay more if it was made in the u.s. than slave labor in other countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine