Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:12 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times

Advertisements

Hello~
Our gas stove broke and we now have an opportunity to get an electric stove for free. We have an electrician friend who could install the outlet that we would need at a discount. My concern is the high electric rates in Maine. Does anyone know if it's a lot more expensive to run an electric stove vs. gas (propane)? Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times
If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with a gas stove. I like gas for cooking, and the price of propane has been reasonable. Plus you can cook without electricity. Some friends north of Augusta kept their house warm and their neighborhood fed in the last long power outage because they had a gas stove.

I've been told that electric ovens are preferred because the heat is more even. Might explain the stoves I've seen with gas cooktops and electric ovens.

Of course, the fact that your new stove will be free should also factor into your decision.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
I used to have gas, now I have electric. I'll be going back to gas as soon as I can free up the cash to do it. I think that cooking with gas is so much better than cooking with electric.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,936 times
The problem I've had with using gas is the tank rental fees. The price of gas versus electric isn't bad, but when you factor in the cost to rent the tank, (unless you have many gas appliances and heat with it) gas isn't competitive. Keep in mind that most modern gas ovens don't work without electricity.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
The problem I've had with using gas is the tank rental fees. The price of gas versus electric isn't bad, but when you factor in the cost to rent the tank, (unless you have many gas appliances and heat with it) gas isn't competitive. Keep in mind that most modern gas ovens don't work without electricity.
I wouldn't rent tanks, I'll buy a couple of hundred-pounders outright. They should last quite a while for just cooking (not heating the whole house).

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,736 times
I have gas. It has one big "pig". At the rate I'm using it, it will be four years before I have to have it filled again. I'm using about 1 lb of it a month to cook with.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Go with gas. It is instant on and instant off. It is less expensive. It works when the power is off. It is faster. It boils water sooner. You can pop popcorn with it. In a pinch you can heat thew kitchen with it.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:27 PM

476 posts, read 748,024 times
My DW has used both, and on a strictly culinary basis, will never voluntarily use electric in her kitchen!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
Thank you for all the replies! I'm really just looking at the cost. I have owned homes with gas and electric stoves, and as far as cooking goes, I really have no preference. (That might have something to do with the fact that I don't like cooking!) I do know that Maine has one of the highest electric rates in the country, so I just don't know if the cost would be the same. (We do heat our house with propane.)

Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Electric.

No parts, no maintenance, no filling up tanks, etc. I've had both, electric is sooo much easier. Cooking on an electric stove is very cheap, its not turned on very long.

PS. Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of Carbon monoxide inside your home. The most common symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: