U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
I personally run a set of Continental Extreme Contact tires on one of my "street" vehicles and feel they are the best tires I've ever owned (and I've gone through many sets!).

How do they hold up when driving on cold dry pavement most of time? That's the biggest concern I have. If we had snow covered roads all winter then the Blizzaks would be great but they wear out fast on asphalt. The Continentals are #1 in the CR tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I was hoping that people would give me an idea of what the coastal weather was like so that I could decide what kind of snow tire I needed, since last winter was such a dud. Unfortunately nobody stepped up to do that, so I kept people informed about my eventual decision.

I don't know who or what a Zarathu is.

Everybody has their occasional stumps. My current one is the revelation that snow tires are very different than they were were when I had them on a RWD Mazda wagon in 1981. Its my stump at the moment. Everybody here has their stumps that they get into. I'm more concerned now about the other driver who thinks that s/he will have great traction by deflating their tires, than I actually am about my own driving. Its much scarier than I thought. I happen to be one of those people who likes to learn new things; not everyone is like me, I know.

If you guys and gals don't want to hear about winter tires anymore, I guess I will just be quiet about that. But I've decided to go with the General Altimax Arctics. I'd like to put them on my Ford Explorer too but I cannot afford it. I had to use the money from selling my old Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove to pay for them.

Or we could also do as on F/B; don't like it, then don't read it (FB = "hide story"). BTW, enjoyable.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Deflating your tires will give you more flotation and more traction up to 15 MPH. Beach buggies do it on the beach. It helps in snow up to about 15 MPH. Beyond that you are better off to go with the recommended tire pressures on the driver's door.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:11 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Your driving ability is probably as important or more important than your choice of tires. You need to find a place to practice where you won't end up killing another driver or going off the road and running into someone's house.

If you have a job then I understand that you want to make it to work in all types of weather. If you are retired, where do you really have to go in a bad storm? The roads don't stay snow covered forever. I do understand the concept of going out and driving around in a storm just for the fun of it.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM

471 posts, read 601,178 times
Quote:
How do they hold up when driving on cold dry pavement most of time? That's the biggest concern I have. If we had snow covered roads all winter then the Blizzaks would be great but they wear out fast on asphalt. The Continentals are #1 in the CR tests.
They are terrific on dry pavement! However, I can't comment too much on the "cold" part, being from SoCal.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times
Quote:
They are terrific on dry pavement! However, I can't comment too much on the "cold" part, being from SoCal.
Why would you drive a winter tire in Southern California?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Why would you drive a winter tire in Southern California?
Maybe 221B likes the tread pattern or the smooth ride or maybe they're great in a rainstorm.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-20-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM

As far as the topic of snow, ice, and slush in Coastal Maine in the winter (or any other part of the state), there is absolutely no way to predict what kind of weather will hit in any given year....other than watching the squirrels gathering nuts of course....and the habits, etc. of a few other creatures that I can't recall at the moment.

When slyfox2 talks about certain tires wearing out fast on cold pavement, how long is he talking about? can't make it through more than one winter? two winters? three winters? four winters? more winters? What is the cut off point for degrees on cold? 32? 15? 10? 0? -10? -20? -30? ??? How cold does it have to be to be considered cold pavement?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM

471 posts, read 601,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Maybe 221B likes the tread pattern or the smooth ride or maybe they're great in a rainstorm.
Yes! All of the above!
I like the way the tires perform compared to many prior brands that I have used on that vehicle.
Believe it or not, we do get a few drops of rain here between about Dec ~ March…*maybe 10 to 15 inches or so, (ok, don't laugh!), and the tires are great during rainstorms. I haven't had the chance to take them up to the mountains and try them out in the snow yet.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
Quote:
Yes! All of the above!
I like the way the tires perform compared to many prior brands that I have used on that vehicle.
Believe it or not, we do get a few drops of rain here between about Dec ~ March…*maybe 10 to 15 inches or so, (ok, don't laugh!), and the tires are great during rainstorms. I haven't had the chance to take them up to the mountains and try them out in the snow yet.
But Albert Hammond said it never rains in Southern California.

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 09-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Dead link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or