Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times

Advertisements

Clearly I want to buy a set of winter tires. A friend of mine in Ellsworth says that the roads get plowed pretty quickly, and in that nothing winter last year, they sure did. I found that I was mostly contending with light snow pack, ice, slushy ice and frozen slush from daytime melting. I didn't have to deal with deep snow or snow covered roads much.

So I need this year to buy tires that fit the conditions.

What are the conditions that you find in Coastal Maine in a normal winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
I find that at times there is slush and patches of ice and some water from melting across the roads. Most times I find bare roads. Washington County plows and town plows seem to do a great job of plowing, IMO. I can tell the difference from Gouldsboro on home coming from Bangor or wherever. Most of the winter there are bare roads unless you stray too far to the shoulder. With a "Pius" heavy, aggressive tread as on my Jeep, ruins the gas mileage. Still, it's real good so this is relative. All seasons have never given me a problem and I have been (rightly) accused of driving it like I stole it.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM

I'd like to maximize traction on my AWD Subaru, but I need to look for a tire that has to occasional duty in ice and slush, but mostly runs on very cold dry and wet roads. I need a winter tire, but not necessarily a snow tire. If I need to drive through deep snow, I will crank up the AWD Ford Explorer.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Talked to the tire dealer in Ellsworth or Brewer? They can guide.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Talked to the tire dealer in Ellsworth or Brewer? They can guide.
I prefer not to talk to the people who sell the tires. They want you to buy their tires. Besides, they can't come even close to matching the price on the tires. I looked at a set of four from a local dealer in Ellsworth. He wanted $612+ tax to mount the tires on my car. I can have them shipped to my house for a grand total of $383 from Tirebuyer.com. Its not going to cost me $57.25 EACH to have them mounted at my local car fixing garage. Heck, EVEN outrageous VIP doesn't charge more than $19.95 for balance and mounting per tire.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 112,631 times
I would think a set of good all season radials would work. I grew up in western PA and I didn't have specific winter tires or snow tires just all season ones . Where I lived we had a lot of snow in the winter. I never had any problems driving my 79 Cutlass. I did put a bag of sand in the trunk.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catras View Post
I would think a set of good all season radials would work. I grew up in western PA and I didn't have specific winter tires or snow tires just all season ones . Where I lived we had a lot of snow in the winter. I never had any problems driving my 79 Cutlass. I did put a bag of sand in the trunk.
THIS is key to winter driving. [Weight] Front Wheel Drive is already set. Rear Wheel Drive you will need some weight in the rear. Pickups should have a bag or 2 of sand [well everyone should have a little bit anyways].

As for driving on ice, WELL even the best tires aren't a gimme on it. Ice driviing U slow, SLOW down!! I've seen folks with full 4WD go past me like I'm parked and end up in the ditch a mile up the road.

All I have ever used is all seasons, and while I have slid a bit, I have never had a major problem with them.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM

476 posts, read 747,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
THIS is key to winter driving. [Weight] Front Wheel Drive is already set. Rear Wheel Drive you will need some weight in the rear. Pickups should have a bag or 2 of sand [well everyone should have a little bit anyways].
I've read about sand in the trunk before. I think I also remember it being handy to spread out in front of a wheel that is spinning out in the snow to aid in traction. Can you tell me if you use the kind of sand bags you would purchase at, say a hardware store… the type that come in 25 or 50 lb sacks? The kind used to mix with cement for mortar?
So, a couple of 25 lb sacks would add 50 lbs to the rear of the vehicle, and two 50 lb sacks would add 100 lbs.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"Ice & Slush or SNOW in Coastal maine?"

All of the above. Just get Firestone Winterforce tires and you'll be ready for anything. Shop around for the best price.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
I've read about sand in the trunk before. I think I also remember it being handy to spread out in front of a wheel that is spinning out in the snow to aid in traction. Can you tell me if you use the kind of sand bags you would purchase at, say a hardware store… the type that come in 25 or 50 lb sacks? The kind used to mix with cement for mortar?
So, a couple of 25 lb sacks would add 50 lbs to the rear of the vehicle, and two 50 lb sacks would add 100 lbs.
if the vehicle is rear wheel drive, then yes, add some weight in the trunk, most vehicles today are front wheel drive

do you still add weight in the trunk of a car, that is front wheel drive????

I had a mechanic tell me No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine