Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM

52 posts, read 203,854 times

Advertisements

My thought on the whole banned smoking in enclosed places, that should be changed a bit, but not stopped, first stop it in places that serve food and with people under the age of 18. Bars, for instance, are harder to go without a place to smoke (as a smoker I know a beer and a cig go hand and hand). but to ban it in your car is obserd, private property, and really, if your like me you rarely smoke with ne body else in the car.

For the helmet law, I'm a motorcycle rider (yeah, I do that with a cig. sometimes too?) but the helmet should be ones own choice. I've been involved in 4 accidents, 3 without a helmet, one at a racetrack. Does this make me slightly retarded, yeah sure, but I found that I have greater visibility without the helmet, especially in traffic. People have found ways around it by wearing the turtle shell helmets anyway, that won't protect a whole lot of anything. Again, just my two cents, because I currently don't reside in Maine. Loud pipes on a bike (I drive crotch rockets) save lives as well, if they can hear me, they'll know I'm there somewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,541 times
Default agendas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
In many (all?) places pipes that are too loud/no mufflers are already against the law. It just isn't being enforced as much as it should be.
Not getting on your case. Just pointing out how the Volvo driving granola crunchers will go after the most expedient target within rang of their available means. Once they get the foot in the door, its like trying to get rid of the proverbial vacuum salesman.

Take any firearms, bow hunting or trapping course at the local adult ed these days.

They place emphasis, all of a sudden, on bringing game out in the evening, going into the woods before daylight and even how to hide your prey in the pickup!

All this so some moonbat isn't offended by your God given Constitutional right to hunt and trap...

Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
In the hospitals we use opioids and Zylocaine every day..
The opioids used in hospitals today are much different, regulated, and controled doses than the opium elixirs anyone could buy back in the old days. Like giving a baby some opium/morphine soothing syrup for teething. They used opium for everything and you could buy it anywhere. Even heroin was seen as a miracle cure. That is what I was referring to.

Another thought on smoking laws. These laws are not designed to take away freedoms of the smokers, they are designed to protect others.

Kinda like child labor laws. They are not designed to take away the freedom a factory owner has to hire children, they are designed to protect children by not allowing them to work.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,014,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljotis View Post
My thought on the whole banned smoking in enclosed places, that should be changed a bit, but not stopped, first stop it in places that serve food and with people under the age of 18. Bars, for instance, are harder to go without a place to smoke (as a smoker I know a beer and a cig go hand and hand). but to ban it in your car is obserd, private property, and really, if your like me you rarely smoke with ne body else in the car.
A patron does not have a "right" to be in a private eastablishment, business owners still have the right to refuse service to anyone they please.

A simple sign at the entrance warning people that the establishment permits smoking should be sufficient. The patron can then decide whether or not to enter the establishment.

Business owners can choose whether to cater to smokers or to non-smokers. Customers can choose which place they would rather go to.

Quote:
For the helmet law, I'm a motorcycle rider (yeah, I do that with a cig. sometimes too?) but the helmet should be ones own choice. I've been involved in 4 accidents, 3 without a helmet, one at a racetrack. Does this make me slightly retarded, yeah sure, but I found that I have greater visibility without the helmet, especially in traffic. People have found ways around it by wearing the turtle shell helmets anyway, that won't protect a whole lot of anything. Again, just my two cents, because I currently don't reside in Maine. Loud pipes on a bike (I drive crotch rockets) save lives as well, if they can hear me, they'll know I'm there somewhere!
Every crash I've had was when I was wearing a helmet, I've never crashed while *not* wearing one. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I think.

They can't hear those pipes over the mega-watt stereos they install these days. Some of the newer cars are so well insulated the driver would barely hear the horn of a freight train behind him. Everybody else just gets ticked off and *wants* to run you off the road.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 203,854 times
zymer, both good points, and well taken. If we ban anything, I'd go for pipes as well as the loud stereos. I won't lie, I have an old Hot Rod, and its got some loud pipes on it, enough to get the attention of every police officer every time I bring it home, but its registered in the south where I reside (thank you military). I find the stereo systems more annoying though, with the offensive lyrics and the mirror of my car vibrating to somebody elses music.

I've seen towns/cities that have banned smoking in less ventilated places, as well as places that serve food, even if it be nachos and hamburgs. I personally like the way I've seen a few bowling alleys do it, with a seperate room for smokers when they want a cig, sorta like most big airports are doing now. You don't have to leave, you just do it around other people who do it in a well ventilated area.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,014,472 times
Quote:
zymer, both good points, and well taken. If we ban anything, I'd go for pipes as well as the loud stereos. I won't lie, I have an old Hot Rod, and its got some loud pipes on it, enough to get the attention of every police officer every time I bring it home, but its registered in the south where I reside (thank you military). I find the stereo systems more annoying though, with the offensive lyrics and the mirror of my car vibrating to somebody elses music.
LOL, don't get me wrong, I like to hear my motor and sometimes I like my music loud, but when I'm in my house and I can't hear my own TV because of the thumping box going by outside, or pipes so loud that my windows vibrate, it's a little too much. Somebody went by here last night on a super-loud rice rocket, at a high rate of speed (25mph limit). I was listening for the crash but it didn't happen.

To be honest, my opinion was a little different when I was younger. If it was loud and fast, it was for me. I guess I've mellowed out a little. I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,556,541 times
You can get a Hot Rod plate for the roads in Maine, you just can't make a habit out of taking it for a ride ALL of the time.

In Maine we banned smoking in restaurants, bars and any business that caters to the public several years ago.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,712,966 times
I like the smoking ban in restaurants and bars, but to regulate it in your own vehicle is WAY overstepping the boundaries any Gov't should. Helmet laws? Personally I have ridden for 28 years and wouldn't ride around the block without one on and strapped. Am I going to say you should... no, overstepping bounds again. I DO think that if you chose to ride without a helmet, you should carry PROOF of paid long and short term disability insurance. Why should I pay for somebody to spend the rest of their lives in a long term care facility wetting their pants and drooling on themselves because they wanted to feel the wind in their hair. Visibility? that is why God made your head turn to the sides. We already have to show proof of insurance to register anything, and for me to have to buckle up sitting in a 5700# truck, it isn't to much to ask others to put a helmet on when they ride.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

874 posts, read 1,847,135 times
Ahhhh for the days of listening to my sister whine about the smell of smoke then freezing in the back of the car while mom drove with the window open. It brings back more memories too... the ones where we begged our mother to stop smoking when we were just old enough to understand when the man with no voicebox came to talk to us at school. Remembering the vicious rage she spewed at us in response to our heartfelt request made out of fear for our mother's life. She did quit smoking eventually, about eight years ago. But the hardest memory of all is the memory of hearing her cry "Help, help help" a year ago, in a weak terrified voice, over and over again the night she died as the lung cancer ate in to her brain, it's last stop on the trail through her body as it stole her life.

Do I agree that government shouldn't hamstring our parenting? I guess in principle. But as a child of parents who really didn't give a crap about the well-being of their children or for that matter themselves it can be nice to know that someone cares, even if it is only the government.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,039,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
Ahhhh for the days of listening to my sister whine about the smell of smoke then freezing in the back of the car while mom drove with the window open. It brings back more memories too... the ones where we begged our mother to stop smoking when we were just old enough to understand when the man with no voicebox came to talk to us at school. Remembering the vicious rage she spewed at us in response to our heartfelt request made out of fear for our mother's life. She did quit smoking eventually, about eight years ago. But the hardest memory of all is the memory of hearing her cry "Help, help help" a year ago, in a weak terrified voice, over and over again the night she died as the lung cancer ate in to her brain, it's last stop on the trail through her body as it stole her life.

Do I agree that government shouldn't hamstring our parenting? I guess in principle. But as a child of parents who really didn't give a crap about the well-being of their children or for that matter themselves it can be nice to know that someone cares, even if it is only the government.
It's a horrible thing....I lost my sister to lung cancer a few years ago....she was 8 years older than me.....while I was begging my parents to stop smoking she was stealing their cigs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine