U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM

1,533 posts, read 5,031,240 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved from Wake Forest to Franklinton in Ironwood Subd and love it out there. Away from the hustle bustle an so peaceful and only 12 miles from downtown Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM

565 posts, read 979,054 times
I'd go where the economy was strongest and cost of living lowest so I could sock away money for my return to Maine!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM

178 posts, read 461,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
I have recently moved from Wake Forest to Franklinton in Ironwood Subd and love it out there. Away from the hustle bustle an so peaceful and only 12 miles from downtown Wake Forest.

?

Is this related to Maine at all?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
As a Tar Heeler I have some opinions on this, however the OP asked Mainers for their opinion, not North Carolinians. If asked by him, I would be happy to elucidate on the matter.
kiwi-Pm me about it! And I am a "Her" btw

Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
I'd go where the economy was strongest and cost of living lowest so I could sock away money for my return to Maine!
haha!

Years I have spend struggling to survive in Maine! Jobs VS income and housing ---high high high. It is very expensive to live up here! I don't think that people realize that. I have spoken to ppl who say but the prop taxes are so cheap. Ya, but my heating bill in January was 600 bucks...Soooooo....

let's see what this Winter brings, since it's supposed to be a bad one!

My folks are already saying they will never leave....well, they are retiring, so they have that option!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM

618 posts, read 634,898 times
Sorry for calling you a "him", I am ashamed of my assumption!
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Ok, so I have been researching a few locations for the past few years, and as it turns out, my husband has a job with a branch in 2 of the locations that I have looked into. I have already heard all the answers from 'their' locals, but I wanted to ask you guys....

If you had a job offer and you need to move to Virginia or North Carolina, which would it be? Any why?

More specifically, work location is-rural Durham area (north of Durham) or North central Virginia-a little town between Charlottesville and Harrisonburg.

Durham proper is a crime, gang infested area in many areas of the city. Closer to Duke and the VA Hospital (which I frequent) the city is more laid back with nice neighborhoods.North of Durham is a nice little town called Roxboro that is rural, a slower way of life, tobacco farms, cheapest) community College systems in the nation.cattle and horse farms, rolling hills with pine and oak trees.I would not hesitate to reside there (Pearson County) if circumstances dictated it. I spent about 15 years of my career working in the next county over from that in Caswell County,even as a NC native,I was not accepted in that community. I think as a "big city boy with an education", I was seen as an outsider. As a "Yankee", you may be subject to some minor resentment from the locals, but the last 10-15 years that has abated. I can remember as a young man when visiting my Grandparents in Maine, the same type of attitude was visited upon those from "away",in recent visits to Maine, I see that too has diminished somewhat. The good parts of Durham is well populated with cultural events and the like. Research Triangle Park has the highest density of PhD's in North Carolina. North Carolina has one of the best (and cheapest) community college systems in the nation. It is VERY HOT here May-October, it was 85 here today.

VA spot: closer to the mountains and the beach, closer to make a day's drive home (10-12 hours though), close to DC and other major cities, great hiking etc, small towns around a few large towns/small cities and some great schools/universities, would still have some snow and 4 seasons, much more rural...but also not as much going on outside the 2 cities listed,

Were I not moving to Maine very soon,Virginia would be my choice. I spend a great deal of time there. I think you may be refering to the area of Halifax County which South Boston and the Virginia International Racetrack (VIR) is located in. Lynchburg is another nice town in that area. You also could be discussing Farmville? The roads are nicer in Virginia, gasoline is always cheaper, I generally dive my pickup into Virginia to fill up as I live 20 miles from the state line. You can walk in a store and buy guns the same day in Virginia if that is to your liking. There are some fine Universities in Virginia as well. The mountains of Virginia are usually cooler by 10 degrees than here, and if you like to ski you can do so there, or a short hop to WV.

NC spot: better economy, great cost of living and housing, hotter summers with no snow in the winter, supposedly clean and little crime (we will see coming from Maine, what they consider low crime couldn't drive home- but much closer to an airport that still carries Southwest to Manchester and I believe Portland now, supposedly lots of fun and stuff to do and also great schools/universities

The cheapest airport in NC to fly out of generally speaking is Greensboro for some reason. People drive from both Raleigh and Charlotte to fly.The Democratic candidate for Governor id recommending a 15% sales tax hike. They have installed a toll road in Raleigh.

Don't say that you would just stay up in Maine! LOL, that is not an option for our family at this point. Besides my folks and my whole family are still here, so we can visit home any time!

I wish you and your family the best in your future endeavors. If I can clarify anything, please ask/ Again, sorry about the gender thingy!

Has anyone visited both, or better yet-lived in both and can give me some insight?? Flat out opinions are welcome also. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Sorry for calling you a "him", I am ashamed of my assumption!
No worries! I have run into a lot of negative attacks on here, I don't care to add to them

So wait-You are moving to Maine??? Why? I love Maine! I have a hard time with the Winters being so long and so harsh, and the cost was taxing. But the summers are so mild and I LOVE outdoor everything!

You sound as though you don't care for NC?

I posted a Maine VS NC on US general. Because I know for a fact, in my life in Maine that I have met many visitors all summer long and autumn, that lived in summer homes or vacationed there from North Carolina....and I was asking to what the similarities are. But to my surprise, most of the responses were "No one I know goes to Maine, if they need to cool off they go to the WNC Mts" But that is not true, since I see with my own eyes NC license plates up there!

I know that a lot of people from Maine also live or vacation in the Winter in NC, have a second home there etc...so there must be something that binds the 2 places????

Then I noticed on one of your Maine posts, that you mentioned you didn't know there were so many people from NC on there....so see! If you care to chime in on my US general post----please feel free to do so also!

But back to the moving thing...would you not move to Durham if you had the choice?

The VA location is actually in Elkton, it's so small...I didn't know if any one would have ever heard of it!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 AM

618 posts, read 634,898 times
I have ridden my motorcycle through there many times,nice place. North Carolina has become what those moving to it from the north tried to get away from by moving here. I can continue this with you through PM's as we may get gigged. Yes I am going to Maine to live out the rest of my life. We will maintain a residence here (or southern Virginia) for spending time with Grandkids and kids. My Grandparents were from Maine, I spent much time there as a youth. I have people in the dirt there. When I returned form the war, I went and lived with them and pondered life, and came full circle. I went to graduate and post grad in Vermont Iam waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over 90 days of 90 degree plus temps.My wife who is a New Zealander, loves Maine, says the people there are very similiar in nature to Kiwi's, hearty souls all. We don't speak Spanish, which is becoming the primary language here now. It is time for us to live our lives out in a more relaxed manner, where you can gotothe door for a walk and not feel like someone has hit you in the chest with a baseball bat.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 AM

26 posts, read 34,526 times
We are also planning a move we have been to Va seven time's this year and we are going to land at smith mountain lake in Franklin co. Right now you can rent a house that sells for $600000 on the lake for 1200 a month its a steal. The house we are moving to a 5 bedroom 4 bath that is 5 years old. I call the power co last week to see what the avg power bill was for the last year and they told me it was $162 month. That is so cheap! for a/c heat and elc. I pay 200.00 a month in Maine for just power. The cost of everything is low in VA, Gas is .60 lower a gal, food is much lower and tax are way lower. I know so many working people that are tired of carrying the load in Maine and they want out of here. I have lived here all my life and it not the same place I grew up at. There is so much more opportunity in VA then Maine jobs are ready and available and the schools are some of the best in the country. oh also the people are so nice there they will take time to talk to you.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM

162 posts, read 335,564 times
I have cousins who moved to Raleigh and we've visited them a few times. We always enjoyed it and they like living there. The schools seem good, too, if you have kids.

Downsides for me are that Raleigh/Durham is a big, sprawling, metroplex, with tons of traffic, and (of course), the brutal heat.

The RDU airport is a good one and there are a lot of flights from there to Boston (nonstop), as well as Manchester and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine