U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM

178 posts, read 458,981 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have been researching a few locations for the past few years, and as it turns out, my husband has a job with a branch in 2 of the locations that I have looked into. I have already heard all the answers from 'their' locals, but I wanted to ask you guys....

If you had a job offer and you need to move to Virginia or North Carolina, which would it be? Any why?

More specifically, work location is-rural Durham area (north of Durham) or North central Virginia-a little town between Charlottesville and Harrisonburg.

VA spot: closer to the mountains and the beach, closer to make a day's drive home (10-12 hours though), close to DC and other major cities, great hiking etc, small towns around a few large towns/small cities and some great schools/universities, would still have some snow and 4 seasons, much more rural...but also not as much going on outside the 2 cities listed,

NC spot: better economy, great cost of living and housing, hotter summers with no snow in the winter, supposedly clean and little crime (we will see coming from Maine, what they consider low crime couldn't drive home- but much closer to an airport that still carries Southwest to Manchester and I believe Portland now, supposedly lots of fun and stuff to do and also great schools/universities

Don't say that you would just stay up in Maine! LOL, that is not an option for our family at this point. Besides my folks and my whole family are still here, so we can visit home any time!

Has anyone visited both, or better yet-lived in both and can give me some insight?? Flat out opinions are welcome also. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
I have visited both. If you believe the world is going to be a peaceful tranquil place it doesn't make much difference. If not, go to North Carolina. They have more freedom than Virginia. There is much more opportunity for self sufficiency. Think shade. You will want a home that is shaded from the sun and you will learn to park your vehicles in the shade.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Thanks! It will certainly be reverse thinking! Where we spend half our time clearing to make more sunlight come through our many pines-clouding up winter sunlight-and then spend most of spring burning all the dropped branches.....to going to looking for a more shaded house-certainly different thinking!

I feel as though NC may also still have more untended natural woodsy beauty, but I could be wrong. We are unfortunately residing in SE PA at the moment, and there is something that feels wrong about all of my hiking trips being on pavement....oh, ya and with a painted yellow line in the middle separating left and right walkers..-haha

Thinking about AC instead of 3 heat sources will also be an adjustment!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
I have only visited VA for a few vacations and it has a real beauty at least in the Charlottesville area. Not sure what the other poster meant by having less "freedom" in VA.

In the past few years many of our close relatives have happend to move to the Raleigh NC area for jobs and various other reasons, one in particular went because his daughter and her family settled there, and to get away from the Maine winters. They ended up in Clayton, Rollesville, and Franklinton. The seem to like it alot after moving to the area from MA, Ohio and Maine.

We are now getting ready to pay them a visit and our very first time going to NC.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Awesome, let me know how your trip goes!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM

614 posts, read 630,525 times
As a Tar Heeler I have some opinions on this, however the OP asked Mainers for their opinion, not North Carolinians. If asked by him, I would be happy to elucidate on the matter.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:54 PM

123 posts, read 234,400 times
"town between Charlottesville and Harrisonburg." would be in Appalachian mountain range, people make moonshine there, freedom is as much as you make of it.

"Thinking about AC instead of 3 heat sources will also be an adjustment!" you will not need 3 heat source, a heat pump (cool/heat) and wood stove is nice when temperature drop below zero. firewood are abundant and cheap here, last time i saw on craigslist $80-120 split season hardwood per cord.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,886,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
If you had a job offer and you need to move to Virginia or North Carolina, which would it be? Any why?
That is like asking what your favorite disease is. When I first came down south I had a bad case of culture shock, never felt as if I could ever fit in, I am counting the days until I can get back to Maine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
oh, ya and with a painted yellow line in the middle separating left and right walkers..-haha!
They do that in prisons, LMAO!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
I would have to say NC over Virginia. Virginia has some very strange laws governing many things. Be a resident and get a ticket in the state of Virginia and you will see what I mean. That is unless they repealed that horrible fee grabbing ticket law. I would pick TN over either of those states, except that is not where your job is located. I would pick TN for tax reasons, and the self-sufficiency of the people. NC ranks right up there with TN in that light however.

I have been in both states, and just would have to pick NC over VA, personal preference I guess.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiinuk12 View Post
"town between Charlottesville and Harrisonburg." would be in Appalachian mountain range, people make moonshine there, freedom is as much as you make of it.

"Thinking about AC instead of 3 heat sources will also be an adjustment!" you will not need 3 heat source, a heat pump (cool/heat) and wood stove is nice when temperature drop below zero. firewood are abundant and cheap here, last time i saw on craigslist $80-120 split season hardwood per cord.
I think NMLM was thinking about laws that restrict freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine