U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 PM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times

Advertisements

I had to put away the 'shooting bench table' from my porch; in favor of stacked cord wood. But if stacked neatly I can still use the firewood to shot from.

I have heard that you not supposed to 'hunt' within 300' of any dwelling. You have to wait for them to 'attack' your garden first, then, ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have heard that you not supposed to 'hunt' within 300' of any dwelling. You have to wait for them to 'attack' your garden first, then, ...

That rule is only for other people's houses, it doesn't matter if it's your own house. Waiting for them to 'attack' the garden only matters if the particular critter is 'out of season'.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM

5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My neighbor used to shoot skeet off the back deck of his house. It was no problem for the neighbors. People from away sometimes don't understand Maine. Every fall the 911 dispatchers get excited calls from newcomers that, "There is a man with GUN walking down the road by my house." The dispatcher just explains to the caller that it is hunting season.

A lady from Connecticut bought a small cape in Sangerville. It was on a quiet dead end road where she tended her flowers and fed the birds. On a nice sunny May morning a few years ago she was in the back yard at 10 AM when the world as she expected it to be came to a sudden and loud end. Several M-60 machine guns cranked off simultaneously. Then a .50 cal Browning opened up, followed by a burst of minigun fire at 100 rounds per second. Then came the Civil War Gatling gun followed by Uzis, AK-47s and all manner of full auto weapons. The lady called 911 in a babbling panic. The nice dispatcher explained to the ballistic lady that this was all perfectly legal in Maine and she should expect this to happen on a regular basis. She was invited to come to the shoot where she could fire a machine gun herself along with half the sheriff's deputies in the county. The lady then about lost it completely. "This CAN'T be legal!" Maybe not in Connecticut lady, but it sure is in Maine.
Amazing how different people are. If I heard that and knew there was a shoot I'd actually feel safer. I mean, if any crazed lunatic takes off down the road, you've obviously got plenty people around with awesome aim that can paint the road with his insides. It gives me a safe warm and fuzzy feeling. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Maine is truly a place to move to. Hubby bought me a new bushmaster ar15 (before they were bought out). I really enjoy shooting it and can outshoot my retired army ranger (Vietnam). That makes him cringe inside I suppose.
Anyway, If state law allows, and it can be done safely, I look forward to a nice place in the country with a bit of land to put some lead into a target or two.

Thanks for the information
I'm with you! We are in TN now desperate to some day make it to Maine. We've got a range that we built into our back property. A friend of ours came out Sunday with her two daughters and hubby taught them all to shoot, after his course on safety!! And hubby tells everyone that women are a natural at shooting and usually are better than men. Hubby was on our SWAT team back home and taught courses at the FBI academy many years ago and I can outshoot him. Of course, daddy had me on the agency shooting range at eight years old, so..........

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
Last Saturday there was a machine gun shoot in Maine to benefit the Wounded Warriors project. Full auto all day. It's legal, you know.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Last Saturday there was a machine gun shoot in Maine to benefit the Wounded Warriors project. Full auto all day. It's legal, you know.
That's awesome! Tons of fun for a GREAT cause!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,551 times
Dude its totally depend upon the shoot licence if the shooter have a licence of shot than it is legal other vise its illegal task..licence is the necessary for the shoot in my point of view...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

3,476 posts, read 2,532,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The ammo is getting pricey, but you only go round once.

Actually there is some Buddhist evidence that you go around 4734 times. At that rate, ammo is really expensive.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM

468 posts, read 611,208 times
I had to laugh the other night while watching TV. An ad came on Channel 8 for a gun store and all I could think about is the OUTRAGE that would happen if a Boston station sold time to a gun dealer.

Come to think of it, I recall a ruckus in a Boston suburb, either Holliston or Hopkinton, not sure which, where this guy that lived on the main street opened a gun store. He had all the required federal and state licenses as well as from the town (his house was in a business district and the selectmen had to issue a license as I recall it) and the neighborhood found out only after he opened. Oh the hue and cry!! There were all kinds of comments about how his customers were going to go right out and shoot all the children in town, etc.

'Not sure whether he stayed open or not.

Man I can't stand MA and I'm from there too.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizbath View Post
Dude its totally depend upon the shoot licence if the shooter have a licence of shot than it is legal other vise its illegal task..licence is the necessary for the shoot in my point of view...
A license to do what?

There is no requirement to have any license to own a firearm; nor to shoot a firearm.

In Maine you would be required to have a permit to hide [conceal] a loaded firearm on your person. But a permit is not required so long as you are not hiding a firearm.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:58 AM

533 posts, read 586,738 times
A topic I love. I my friends am what is known by the MSM as a gun nut. I have more money in my collection then my home. In Maine very few TOWNS have ordinances regarding shooting in town. You must be 100 yard from a home that is not your unless you have permission. You also can not shoot off a paved round you must be at least 10 feet OFF a paved road to shoot. Maine has NO reregistration. You can if you are a resident you can go into a shop pick out the rifle, shotgun or handgun you desire pay and take it home with you. After completing the 4473 and getting the ok form the FBI this takes about 5 min tops. NFA items IE items covered under the National Firearms Act of 1924. These items suppressors ( AKA silencers ) SBR short barrel rifles ( rifles with barrels less then 16 inches ) SBS Short Barrel Shotguns IE shotguns with less then a 18 inch barrel MG's Machine guns ( yes they are legal not cheap as in 1986 Regan signed the ban that made it illegal for civ's to buy a NEW one so you can only get a mg made BEFORE 1986 thus incurring the wrath of supply and demand AOW Any Other Weapon this is a catch all for items like guns that do not look like guns pen guns for example or a aow shotgun a shotgun made form a pistol grip shotgun with a very short barrel a hand shotgun if you please of a handgun that shoots shotgun rounds with a non rifles barrel. Then the last the DD Destructive device these are things like mortars, grenades and rifles over 50 caliber like a 20 mm rifle. These all require a TAX stamp costing 200 bucks for each item with the exception of AOW's they are a 5 dollar stamp. As Sub stated the ONLY license you may require is one to HIDE a firearm on your person and transport it loaded in your car. That is a carry license AKA CCW. On the other side Maine is a OPEN carry state meaning you can open carry your firearm with NO permit just like the police carry the firearm has to be in plain view and yes you can carry a loaded gun around Maine even in the "cities" ( federal buildings are no carry zones as well as schools ) you can carry a loaded rifle or shotgun as well if you desire. Happy shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or