U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM

534 posts, read 670,576 times

Advertisements

So...if a person owns an acre or two of land in Maine and wants to sit on the back deck and shot at targets, cans or such, is tht legal?
Of course common sense would be the rule, safety and concern for any neighbors safety. A backstop would be used to ensure no stray shots wandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Generally speaking, yes it's legal. It all depends on the town or city you are in. Always check first. One or two acres seems a little small for shooting. We go to gravel pits or have joined the gun club.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
My neighbor used to shoot skeet off the back deck of his house. It was no problem for the neighbors. People from away sometimes don't understand Maine. Every fall the 911 dispatchers get excited calls from newcomers that, "There is a man with GUN walking down the road by my house." The dispatcher just explains to the caller that it is hunting season.

A lady from Connecticut bought a small cape in Sangerville. It was on a quiet dead end road where she tended her flowers and fed the birds. On a nice sunny May morning a few years ago she was in the back yard at 10 AM when the world as she expected it to be came to a sudden and loud end. Several M-60 machine guns cranked off simultaneously. Then a .50 cal Browning opened up, followed by a burst of minigun fire at 100 rounds per second. Then came the Civil War Gatling gun followed by Uzis, AK-47s and all manner of full auto weapons. The lady called 911 in a babbling panic. The nice dispatcher explained to the ballistic lady that this was all perfectly legal in Maine and she should expect this to happen on a regular basis. She was invited to come to the shoot where she could fire a machine gun herself along with half the sheriff's deputies in the county. The lady then about lost it completely. "This CAN'T be legal!" Maybe not in Connecticut lady, but it sure is in Maine.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Maine is truly a place to move to. Hubby bought me a new bushmaster ar15 (before they were bought out). I really enjoy shooting it and can outshoot my retired army ranger (Vietnam). That makes him cringe inside I suppose.
Anyway, If state law allows, and it can be done safely, I look forward to a nice place in the country with a bit of land to put some lead into a target or two.

Thanks for the information

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,658,930 times
We've got 33 acres up there now; nothin' on it yet but a camper. I've already found a nice spot to make a shootin' range. I've got guns I haven't had a chance to have fun with yet. The ammo is getting pricey, but you only go round once. I hope nobody from Southern New England moves up by us, or they'll find out in a real hurry that we left all that garbage back down in Rhode Island.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM

681 posts, read 1,332,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My neighbor used to shoot skeet off the back deck of his house. It was no problem for the neighbors. People from away sometimes don't understand Maine. Every fall the 911 dispatchers get excited calls from newcomers that, "There is a man with GUN walking down the road by my house." The dispatcher just explains to the caller that it is hunting season.

A lady from Connecticut bought a small cape in Sangerville. It was on a quiet dead end road where she tended her flowers and fed the birds. On a nice sunny May morning a few years ago she was in the back yard at 10 AM when the world as she expected it to be came to a sudden and loud end. Several M-60 machine guns cranked off simultaneously. Then a .50 cal Browning opened up, followed by a burst of minigun fire at 100 rounds per second. Then came the Civil War Gatling gun followed by Uzis, AK-47s and all manner of full auto weapons. The lady called 911 in a babbling panic. The nice dispatcher explained to the ballistic lady that this was all perfectly legal in Maine and she should expect this to happen on a regular basis. She was invited to come to the shoot where she could fire a machine gun herself along with half the sheriff's deputies in the county. The lady then about lost it completely. "This CAN'T be legal!" Maybe not in Connecticut lady, but it sure is in Maine.
Wow....I would so love to live in Maine. My worry is these people from anti gun states who move to gun friendly states end up messing up the fun for every one else. I have a Maine non-resident concealed carry pistol permit and hope to come up to visit one day so I can visit some of your ranges!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Maine is truly a place to move to. Hubby bought me a new bushmaster ar15 (before they were bought out). I really enjoy shooting it and can outshoot my retired army ranger (Vietnam). That makes him cringe inside I suppose.
Anyway, If state law allows, and it can be done safely, I look forward to a nice place in the country with a bit of land to put some lead into a target or two.

Thanks for the information
Bushmaster? I personally would have gone for a Colt...accept no substitute

Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM

I love my bushy...it's the same type hubby carried in Vietnam, triangular handgrips. We went to range in Talladega and zeroed the iron sights. Then I got a bullseye at 25 yards. It's easy to clean and fun to shoot. Plus it's made in Maine and that was neat finding down here in Alabama.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
I sit on my front porch and shoot. That was one of my "must have" particulars when looking for a house.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
I love my bushy...it's the same type hubby carried in Vietnam, triangular handgrips. We went to range in Talladega and zeroed the iron sights. Then I got a bullseye at 25 yards. It's easy to clean and fun to shoot. Plus it's made in Maine and that was neat finding down here in Alabama.
I'd love to get an AR15 with the triangular handgrips....for me it'll have to be the Colt SP1 model..

Enjoy that Bushy rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or