U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the city of lewiston has made many concessions, the city has drained its resources for the somalis,,,

leave culture at the door?? this may sound harsh,,,but,,,after years of liberals taking away our own traditions....such as christmas in schools. and cant say GOD in schools.....BUT then allowing prayer blankets for muslims..... because of thier religion....
so, our culture can be trashed and abolished, but we have to bend for any other culture??

let me give you another thought...and this came right from the area....

because woman are treated like second class citizens in many countries, is it fair for muslim boys and men to mistreat and disrespect american woman ????
I think it's crazy that we even have Somali immigrants in the first place. After what they did to our servicemen over there (RIP for a horrible death), they are certainly on my "S" list. If the powers that be actually stuck up for our country, they would ban immigration from countries that support terrorism or countries where atrocities are committed against Americans. Maybe those places would then change their tune when their citizens are angry about being excluded from the USA.

As for the mayor's comments, people who move HERE should adapt to our way of life not the other way around. It is possible to keep your religion and culture and still adapt to the larger world around you instead of rejecting the culture around you and expecting it to change. If you don't like the ways of the USA, you are free to leave and go back where you came from.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM

9,497 posts, read 14,296,487 times
"because woman are treated like second class citizens in many countries, is it fair for muslim boys and men to mistreat and disrespect american woman ????"

Is it only a matter of time before Maine has its first "honor killing"? They are common in Michigan and Michigan law enforcement seems to turn a blind eye toward it.

Times change and practices change. There are over 60 Asian students at Lee Academy. In Red China couples are allowed only one child. For decades, Chinese couples have decided to abort their female babies because sons are favored in their society. The words brother and sister have almost been forgotten in their language. Red China now has many millions of men who will never have wives simply because those future wives were killed. Reality and demographics are changing that practice. It costs a family about $25,000 to send one of their children to Lee Academy. Many of the students are girls. Those girls and their families have a lot of power and opportunities they may not have anticipated when they let their daughters live.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,761 times
This is a very serious subject that I think is mishandled everywhere in the world it comes up.

I lived in the Middle East, and there is a basic lack of understanding between "their ways" and "our ways". Muslim women think its very weird and unseemly that Western women WANT to have the same rights as men. They grow up with the indoctrination that Wahhabism and Shari'a are the correct and proper ways to live your life. It is a huge culture shock to come to this country, or any liberal democracy, and see equality between genders, races, and religions.

But these Muslim refugees are not from the Middle East, they are from Africa. They are Bantu, a destitute people fleeing genocide from the ruling party, al-Shabab which has ties to al-Qaeda.
Here's Al Jazeera on that issue --
Country profile: Somalia - Africa - Al Jazeera English

Got that, everybody? These Somalis are against Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda attacked America, and a lot of other people.

We should kinda help these Somalis not get killed or persecuted, right?

First-generation immigrants usually assimilate poorly. Go to Chinatown in NY if you don't believe me, or Crown Heights in Brooklyn and visit with Holocaust survivors. Their kids however, do very well, usually. They just need a hand with that. Would it kill us to help our neighbor?

(but people determined to reject them will reject my message here anyway)

Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think it's crazy that we even have Somali immigrants in the first place. After what they did to our servicemen over there (RIP for a horrible death), they are certainly on my "S" list. If the powers that be actually stuck up for our country, they would ban immigration from countries that support terrorism or countries where atrocities are committed against Americans. Maybe those places would then change their tune when their citizens are angry about being excluded from the USA.

As for the mayor's comments, people who move HERE should adapt to our way of life not the other way around. It is possible to keep your religion and culture and still adapt to the larger world around you instead of rejecting the culture around you and expecting it to change. If you don't like the ways of the USA, you are free to leave and go back where you came from.

Excuse me.

Please. You need to be better informed. THE SOMALIS THAT KILLED AMERICANS ARE KILLING THESE PEOPLE TOO.

These people in Lewiston are Bantu. They are the ethnic minority that is being killed and persecuted by the very same people -- Al-Shabab, which is linked to Al Qaeda.

REally, you need to read more and react with hate less.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 AM

15,915 posts, read 10,965,840 times
I see the offended as disregarding Maine's culture and US cultural expectations.

If you went to somalia and and rejected their culture you'd be 'an ugly American'.

In the diversity courses corporations sponsor to satisfy the feds, you find that folks need to be taken under someone's wing to informally let them know how to navigate the 'culure' of the company. Information on the unspoken, unwritten 'rules of the road'.

When the ME gov follows the diversity course practices, he gets slammed.

Think of each state as an equivalent to a european country rather than a homogenous lump of culture as the US is mistakenly thought of by outsiders. We are united in many respects but culturally different in others.

Shh! don't say anything about a snow shovel, deer season or driving on snow!
Think women can legally go topless in Maine too.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM

990 posts, read 1,473,883 times
The mayor was speaking as a man who is fed up with his problems. He should probably have thought out what he wanted to say and phrased things differently. He overlooked the fact that these days you have to watch what you say, because you're apt to offend somebody, somewhere.

I'm offended by bilingual education. My parents were immigrants. We kids, no matter where our parents came from, spoke their native tongue at home, and we learned English when we got to kindergarten. We all assimilated, and every kid I grew up with, who came of foreign born parents, grew up to be an American success story.
Bilingual education means kids don't have to fit in. They can continue to be apart from the mainstream as opposed to being a part of the mainstream. It's a guarantee of poverty for most of them. One could even say it's a way of keeping them in their place, at the bottom of the pile.
So, what am I saying here? Am I a racist anti-immigrant bigot?

I'm an atheist, and I think the fact that schools can't celebrate Christmas, but have to accommodate religious beliefs of immigrants sucks totally. I felt that expression was so appropriate, I so remember being a kid in school at Christmas, long ago. I think they should celebrate every happy religious holiday.
A friend of mine, married to a Muslim, had a Jewish couple over for dinner on a Christmas Eve, and everyone admired the Christmas tree. Some years later her Muslim husband invited his employees over to his house for Christmas dinner. Okay, so the men had dinner in the room downstairs, and the women ate in the small dining room upstairs.

America was always the land where you blended old and new. It's a land of foreigners who came together and built a nation. It's what gave America its unique place in the world. Now I feel it's becoming a different place - us and them. Doesn't matter who the us is. No matter what your position, you're the us, and they're the them. For instance, to Somalis picketing, they're "us", we're "them".

I don't want people pushing their beliefs and traditions etc. in my face and telling me I have to embrace them. It just ticks me off, and I used to be such an easy going person.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 AM

2cold, "offended by bilingual education", why?

Don't you think it would be kind of valuable for everyone to have a second language? All Americans? In Maine and every other state bordering Canada we should all learn French (I am fluent and it has served me well), for economic reasons.

I was surprised to learn that by overwhelming numbers, French Canadians vacationing in Maine speak little to no English. Imagine how much the tourist economy in Maine would improve if we spoke some French, had bilingual signage and events for French speakers here.

Bilingual education should be the rule, not the exception. Not for the benefit of immigrants with limited English, but for US citizens. To assume that the whole world speaks some English (many of them do) is arrogant and short-sighted.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 AM

990 posts, read 1,473,883 times
Quote:
Learning a second language in school is not what "bilingual education" means.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 AM

Generally not, 2cold, but why can't it mean that?

Bilingual education should mean that US-born people learn other languages, and there should be equal funding for that.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM

163 posts, read 248,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

Don't you think it would be kind of valuable for everyone to have a second language? All Americans? In Maine and every other state bordering Canada we should all learn French (I am fluent and it has served me well), for economic reasons.

I was surprised to learn that by overwhelming numbers, French Canadians vacationing in Maine speak little to no English. Imagine how much the tourist economy in Maine would improve if we spoke some French, had bilingual signage and events for French speakers here.

Bilingual education should be the rule, not the exception. Not for the benefit of immigrants with limited English, but for US citizens. To assume that the whole world speaks some English (many of them do) is arrogant and short-sighted.
My MIL lives has lived in Broward county FL for 40 years. When we go down to visit it's insulting to retail employees to have us speak English. I went to a restauraunt to order take out meals and the girl tried to shame me because I did not speak Spanish. This was in an upper middle class neighboorhood. For the last 15 years Haitians have become a dominant immigration group down there. Most Cubans are fluent in English, but they want you to speak Spanish.

I will be making my last trip to south FL in 6 weeks. Mil is moving in with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine