U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Excuse me.

Please. You need to be better informed. THE SOMALIS THAT KILLED AMERICANS ARE KILLING THESE PEOPLE TOO.

These people in Lewiston are Bantu. They are the ethnic minority that is being killed and persecuted by the very same people -- Al-Shabab, which is linked to Al Qaeda.

REally, you need to read more and react with hate less.
If Somalis were excluded from US immigration, there would be an uproar amongst the people against Al-Shabab, unlike now when they let them do whatever they want and run rampant in their country and use the excuse "we're not all like Al-Shabab." They need to clean up their own country and since they won't do it, maybe an incentive like being excluded from the USA until they do would help.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,780,370 times
^ ^

This is not at all the history of that particular refugee problem. If you care enough about this to post your opinion, at least be informed. Are you even in Maine? Why would you care, except to paste a little hate-speech against a population escaping genocide from forces linked to Al Qaeda.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 707,970 times
How many times have you heard someone from another state move in and say, this is the way we did it in...pick a state. How many times did you say, why did you move here then? In other words, check your other state's mentality or go back to where it was so good. I believe the mayor was saying the same thing. I don't believe he was saying to forget your heritage or your tradiitions but now being in another country, either adapt to the culture and the ways of that country or go back to where you came from. It is about time WE stop conforming to everyone else who decides to come to America and wants to change how WE do things here. Try going to any other nation and see if they are being told they have to learn someone else's language or if they want to reside in that country then the people of that country will change just for them. We all still have our ethnic freedom but we also are all Americans and have our own history and traditions. We need no one from other countries trying to change it. Let them change where they came from. If it is so bad there, change it. It is even more frustrating to see non-citizens telling us what we must do or give to them to make them happy. I understand what the mayor was trying to say and am glad someone came out and said it.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
^ ^

This is not at all the history of that particular refugee problem. If you care enough about this to post your opinion, at least be informed. Are you even in Maine? Why would you care, except to paste a little hate-speech against a population escaping genocide from forces linked to Al Qaeda.
I don't care about their "history" in their own country. That is Somalia's business to take care of, not mine.

I DO care about them being in the USA, being UNGRATEFUL for all the citizens of Maine have given them for free, and causing problems.

If they don't like it here, they can go back.

I don't have to be in Maine to understand what that mayor was saying.

My theory that if we forced other countries to clean up their own atrocities and terrorism by banning immigration from their countries is plausible. Too bad that will never happen.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM

990 posts, read 1,473,510 times
by birdinmigration:
Quote:
Generally not, 2cold, but why can't it mean that?

Bilingual education should mean that US-born people learn other languages, and there should be equal funding for that.
Didn't you take a foreign language in high school? Learning a foreign language in school is an entirely different thing than bilingual education.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
How many times have you heard someone from another state move in and say, this is the way we did it in...pick a state. How many times did you say, why did you move here then? In other words, check your other state's mentality or go back to where it was so good. I believe the mayor was saying the same thing. I don't believe he was saying to forget your heritage or your tradiitions but now being in another country, either adapt to the culture and the ways of that country or go back to where you came from. It is about time WE stop conforming to everyone else who decides to come to America and wants to change how WE do things here. Try going to any other nation and see if they are being told they have to learn someone else's language or if they want to reside in that country then the people of that country will change just for them. We all still have our ethnic freedom but we also are all Americans and have our own history and traditions. We need no one from other countries trying to change it. Let them change where they came from. If it is so bad there, change it. It is even more frustrating to see non-citizens telling us what we must do or give to them to make them happy. I understand what the mayor was trying to say and am glad someone came out and said it.
Exactly!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Birdinmigration:
Quote:
First-generation immigrants usually assimilate poorly. Go to Chinatown in NY if you don't believe me, or Crown Heights in Brooklyn and visit with Holocaust survivors. Their kids however, do very well, usually. They just need a hand with that. Would it kill us to help our neighbor?
My parents and their friends were DPs after WW2, and did very well in the US. They didn't expect any help from the government, and would have been insulted if it was offered. They didn't want any special treatment. They came to a foreign land and knew they had to learn American ways. They taught their children the languages and customs and holidays of their homeland, but knew the kids would pick up new ways once they went to school or played with kids in the neighborhood.
We kids needed no help in adjusting. Actually, some of us adjusted all to quickly as far as some of our parents were concerned.

BTW my sister lived in the middle east, and was married to a Muslim. She tries to help Muslim women she knows who are in trouble in her area. She'd say the same thing I've been saying. Actually, she'd probably be more emphatic about it.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3
How many times have you heard someone from another state move in and say, this is the way we did it in...pick a state. How many times did you say, why did you move here then?
Yep, I moved here from somewhere else, and feel the same way. -- If you like it here, why would you want to change it to make it more like where you came from that you didn't like anyway?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,349,377 times

Political discussions end with hurt feelings and crap.
Please repost in the P&OC forum.
7th
FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine