Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times

Advertisements

This thread is about businesses born in Maine. I guess it's ok to include those that are no longer in business as well as those that are still in business. I'm ok with including businesses born in Maine even if they have expanded to other states or other countries. Some were born in Maine but have been sold....that might be worth noting if known. Here are a few to get started. I'm sure there are MANY more.

My favorite restaurant is Jordan's Snack Bar in Ellsworth http://www.jordanssnackbar.com/

Reny's Renys-A Maine Adventure-Your Favorite Maine Department Store-Top Quality Merchandise For Less

Mike's Country Store on Water St. in Ellsworth

The Ellsworth American newspaper The Ellsworth American; Without Newspapers, There Is No News

Here another link Maine Made - Member Search Results

Friends and Family Market in Ellsworth Falls Grocery store located in Ellsworth, Maine - Friends & Family Market

Ellsworth Giant Sub--forget about Subway

Dysart's Bangor http://dysarts.com/
http://www.dysartstransportation.com/

Geddy's in Bar Harbor http://www.geddys.com/jpg/the_legend_of_geddys.jpg

Merrill Furniture Ellsworth About Merrill Furniture: A Maine furniture store offering living room furniture, dining room furniture, beds and mattresses, home office, entertainment centers, leather furniture and flooring in Ellsworth, Maine.

Curtis Family Shoe store Ellsworth Satisfy all your shoe needs at the Curtis Family Shoe Store in Ellsworth, Maine! [ Contact Information & Map ]

Here's some Marden's history About

Charlie's Pizza Ellsworth

L.L. Bean history About L.L.Bean: Company Information

Anglers - Maines Family Seafood Restaurants

Willey's Sport Center Ellsworth Willeys Sport Center - Maine Outdoor Sporting Equipment - Guns and Firearms

Sylvia's Cafe Ellsworth

Ellsworth Builders Supply About EBS

Pat's Pizza Pat's Pizza, Pizzeria, Restaurant, Family Dining, Sports Bar, Ellsworth, Maine

Old Town Canoe Community | Old Town Heritage | Old Town

Windsor Chairmaker Ellsworth http://windsorchairmakers.com/about.html

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-07-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Great Northern Paper Company
Lincoln Pulp & Paper
Eastern Fine Paper Company
Oxford Paper Company
Keyes Fiber
St. Croix Pulpwood Company
Hancock Lumber
Bangor Hydroelectric Company
Central Maine Power
Maine Public Service
Eastern Maine Electric
Bath Shipyard (BIW)
Hodgdon Yachts
Bar Harbor Airways
Pine Tree Tanning
Bates Mills
Diamond Match
Foster Manufacturing
New Balance Shoe
Dexter Shoe
Ward Log Homes
Katahdin Log Homes
Moosehead Furniture
PDQ Door
Overhead Door
Peavey Company
White Canoe
Rivers and Gilman Canoe
Baldwin Kayak Company
Mardens
Shaw and Tenney
Lombard Tractor
Stanley Steamer
Maxim Machine Gun Company
Cyr Bus Lines
N. H. Bragg
Shop & Save
Bison Pump Company
Irving Tanning Company

And a whole bunch of Woolen Mills

These are original names. Many have been bought out and the names changed over the years.

And that's without looking in the Yellow Pages.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Jordan's is my fave also-NUMBER 23!!!!!!

Also want to take a minute and pay respect to Geddy-RIP. You made it really fun around BH when you were in your heyday. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Great Northern Paper Company
Lincoln Pulp & Paper
Eastern Fine Paper Company
Oxford Paper Company
Keyes Fiber
St. Croix Pulpwood Company
Hancock Lumber
Bangor Hydroelectric Company
Central Maine Power
Maine Public Service
Eastern Maine Electric
Bath Shipyard (BIW)
Hodgdon Yachts
Bar Harbor Airways
Pine Tree Tanning
Bates Mills
Diamond Match
Foster Manufacturing
New Balance Shoe
Dexter Shoe
Ward Log Homes
Katahdin Log Homes
Moosehead Furniture
PDQ Door
Overhead Door
Peavey Company
White Canoe
Rivers and Gilman Canoe
Baldwin Kayak Company
Mardens
Shaw and Tenney
Lombard Tractor
Stanley Steamer
Maxim Machine Gun Company
Cyr Bus Lines
N. H. Bragg
Shop & Save
Bison Pump Company
Irving Tanning Company

And a whole bunch of Woolen Mills

These are original names. Many have been bought out and the names changed over the years.

And that's without looking in the Yellow Pages.
good list...

before hannaford bought out the shopnsaves-they were many independent groups of stores...such as Cottle's shopnsave or doug's- I started working for cottle's in the early 80's, that was a family run group of grocery stores- then hannaford bought them out - the shopnsaves today are still the independents supplied by hannaford-there corporate owned stores are called hannaford- now they are owned from a company in belgium(del-haize)

laverdiere's drug stores

woolworth??? Im not sure if thats just a maine business, but the owner of woolworth (family) use to have quite the estate on cobbossee lake in winthrop

Isomax whoopie pies

belfast use to be a big chicken producing area,,,you can still see some of the old chicken barns....penobscot chicken and fort halifax are two chicken names that come to mind..

also
Lipman poultry out of augusta- long since shut-down out near statler paper

here are some maine businesses that are close to or over 100 years old- just off the top of my head

Hussey's general store in windsor

Merrill&Hinkley store out of Blue-Hill

Sleeper's store in Caribou

C.H. Mathews store in CherryField

French & Brawn in camden

Old 10-07-2012, 04:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Isn't Wicked Whoppies still located in Maine? Or is that Isomax Whoppies? If it has to do with food, I am usually on top of it!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Isn't Wicked Whoppies still located in Maine? Or is that Isomax Whoppies? If it has to do with food, I am usually on top of it!
same company, Ive met the owner a few times...

even oprah had those whoopie pies on her show

Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
same company, Ive met the owner a few times...

even oprah had those whoopie pies on her show
Wicked Whoopies is a cute name but I think Steve's Whoopies taste better. Steve's Snacks | Whoopie pie, Maine Whoopie Pies

Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 PM

39 posts, read 64,496 times
Default reply for mainegrl

I know ellworth is a nice town. My reply would, only having spent a few days there, Jaguars resturaunt was pretty good while the town and country realty was absolutely terrible. Millbridge was pretty and 44 degrees was good. To bad the millbridge resturaunt failed. I guess I was the only one that liked it. Just before it closed, I did have the worst meal I have ever had in a restauraunt. There are other towns like the hamptons on long island that you might check out
Regards Roge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
This thread is about businesses born in Maine. I guess it's ok to include those that are no longer in business as well as those that are still in business. I'm ok with including businesses born in Maine even if they have expanded to other states or other countries. Some were born in Maine but have been sold....that might be worth noting if known. Here are a few to get started. I'm sure there are MANY more.

My favorite restaurant is Jordan's Snack Bar in Ellsworth http://www.jordanssnackbar.com/

Reny's Renys-A Maine Adventure-Your Favorite Maine Department Store-Top Quality Merchandise For Less

Mike's Country Store on Water St. in Ellsworth

The Ellsworth American newspaper The Ellsworth American; Without Newspapers, There Is No News

Here another link Maine Made - Member Search Results

Friends and Family Market in Ellsworth Falls Grocery store located in Ellsworth, Maine - Friends & Family Market

Ellsworth Giant Sub--forget about Subway

Dysart's Bangor Dysart's Truck Stop & Restaurant, Bangor Maine
Dysart's Truck Stop & Resturaunt, Bangor Maine

Geddy's in Bar Harbor http://www.geddys.com/jpg/the_legend_of_geddys.jpg

Merrill Furniture Ellsworth About Merrill Furniture: A Maine furniture store offering living room furniture, dining room furniture, beds and mattresses, home office, entertainment centers, leather furniture and flooring in Ellsworth, Maine.

Curtis Family Shoe store Ellsworth Satisfy all your shoe needs at the Curtis Family Shoe Store in Ellsworth, Maine! [ Contact Information & Map ]

Here's some Marden's history About

Charlie's Pizza Ellsworth

L.L. Bean history About L.L.Bean: Company Information

Anglers - Maines Family Seafood Restaurants

Willey's Sport Center Ellsworth Willeys Sport Center - Maine Outdoor Sporting Equipment - Guns and Firearms

Sylvia's Cafe Ellsworth

Ellsworth Builders Supply About EBS

Pat's Pizza Pat's Pizza, Pizzeria, Restaurant, Family Dining, Sports Bar, Ellsworth, Maine

Old Town Canoe Community | Old Town Heritage | Old Town

Windsor Chairmaker Ellsworth Marc Blanchette Master Windsor Chairmaker

Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Raye's Mustard Mill
Wadsworth's Hardware Store
Rosie's Hot Dog Stand
New Friendly Restaurant

All in the Eastport area

Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Tom's of Maine. Only toothpaste I can actually like to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine