U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Felt like an earthmover was coming through the wall of our house. Thankfully nothing came off the walls or was otherwise damaged. The dog jumped up and looked around just minutes before the shaking.

Baby tremors leading up to " the Big One"?
I remember reading Murphy's Law once where it said at some point there will be a big earthquake and everything east of California will drop off into the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I remember reading Murphy's Law once where it said at some point there will be a big earthquake and everything east of California will drop off into the Atlantic.
We used to talk about getting ocean front property in Nevada.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,534,004 times
I was out in Jefferson, NH, visiting Mt Washington, with friends from Jaffrey, NH. They said that they sure felt it in Jaffrey. Jaffrey is southwest of Manchester, about 75 miles southwest of the epicenter.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,676,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
We heard a loud noise build and the house shook a few minutes ago.
people on the Mass forum were reporting the same thing right after we felt it at our house.

Someone on mass forum reported
I'm originally from Maine-but now live in Vermont.
It was noticed by some of us over here-
anyone feel a little earth shaking?

Gov't page on the specific earthquake event-
M4.0 - 6km NNE of Waterboro, Maine 2012-10-16 23:12:22 UTC

Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 AM

20,604 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
We felt it here in Hampden.
We did?

I didn't feel a thing. I didn't even know there was one until I read something on Facebook about it.

Maybe because I've lived on the west coast and have been through some strong earthquakes...I don't know but I felt absolutely nothing.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 AM

20,604 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catras View Post
I have been in a few here in Oregon, and it is a little nerve wracking. The first time it was early in the morning and woke me up. Weird thing my dog was acting all weird the night before.

They have done some significant damage not to me but Seattle got tossed pretty good and some building near the epicenter of "The Spring Break Quake" got damaged. I had a picture fall off the wall and a small crack in the plaster wall.

Did anyone worry there might be a Tsunami from that quake?
Are you talking about the one in February 2001? THAT was a little scary. Ok, more than just a little. Pioneer Square got the most damage but that's because those buildings were older. The Fenix Underground is no more! =(

I wondered about people who might have been taking the Underground Tour at that time. NO thank you!

Oh and the Alaskan Way Viaduct was off limits for some time and then off limits to buses and large trucks for some time...that was a stretch of road I hated driving on because I would hate to be on that when a big one comes. From my understanding, they have ripped that down?

When I feel that up here in Maine...well...may as well just live in CA then.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-22-2012 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: Spelled Fenix wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine